Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104710 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
someone has to start it!!!!! :rotflmao: :happy1: who's thinking about there gardens??????

well i did buy my seed packets a good month ago!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
« Last Edit: February 02/07/21, 10:23:48 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
someone has to start it!!!!! :rotflmao: :happy1: who's thinking about there gardens??????

well i did but my seed packets a good month ago!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

I think ya mean buy...  but not sure??   :confused:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have no idea what your talking about. :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

well i did but my seed packets a good month ago!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

I think ya mean buy...  but not sure??   :confused:
:scratch: Yeah, you never know with him!  :rolleyes: :doah:                   ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Question: I have a person who contacted me about putting in a garden. She wants to rent a spot maybe 40' x 100' or less. I would provide water and the dirt. They would handle prep, planting, weeding & harvest.

Any idea of a fair price for the ground & water for a season. Any downside?

Thanks.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The first thing that pops to mind is:  Is she hot?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Don't know. That would add a whole different scenario.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't know. That would add a whole different scenario.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: not sure what it be worth............. 50-100 bucks......sharing some of the produce??????? it depends on if you have a well or city water????

i dont see a downside.........less to mow????? especially if you got the space.
« Last Edit: February 02/07/21, 12:40:00 PM by glenn57 »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
just put in my last seed order today from Twilley Seeds. They have smaller seed packets for good prices. Would rather order new seeds every year if possible. I don't want a bulging packet where they don't get planted for 3-4 years. Also the same from Pinetree seeds.

Well I should rephrase. I still will be getting some trial seed from NDSU's extension service.

If anyone is interested, They are always looking for more testers. Most are from ND. But there are 29 testers from MInn. Also from Pennsylvania, Colorado, Sask. and Manitoba.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother starts his tomatoes from seed. I just don't have the space to do it. :confused: and he gets a certain type of seeds of course through Amazon. :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so, those that garden, what do you guys do in the form of fertilizer??? back in the day i'd get either cow manure or turkey manure. the cow manure had wayyyy to many weeds and the turkey manure was to the point it was a whole lot of other things then manure. so i quit using that.

so lately i've been alternating 10-10-10 or this Milorganite. i also throw all my potato peelings, banana peelings coffee grounds.....about anything biodegradable  in there also. i also every fall throw a good amount of maple leaves and mulch them up.

i feel the need to do something different..........so i never ever thought i'd actually go buy like composted manure, but thinking i'm going that route this year............any suggestions?? i want to try something different.

sure DOTCH, you can mail me some!!! :pouty: :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: but i do have a pretty good sized garden!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I use bags of Composted Manure all the time. But not in my big garden. Cost to much. I use it in flower beds, fruit beds and my elevated garden in my yard. Other wise I use 10/10/10 or 12/12/12. spread over the garden and then again to side dress corn, tomatoes, onions peppers at the right time.

I also till in 4-6 inches of leaves every fall. Plus all my grass clippings from the summer and used for mulch.

The only thing different from above are my Blueberry plants. They get Miracle Grow for acid loving plants.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you prefer any one over the other of the compsted
manure??

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
sure DOTCH, you can mail me some!!! :pouty: :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: but i do have a pretty good sized garden!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Careful what you wish for... :doah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEmIE1c9O64 

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sorry glenn, mikey told me to post that!  :rotflmao:

Seriously, I do load up numerous pails, bags, boxes, trailers and pickups full of sheep poo over the course of a year. I'll even bring a spreader full if it isn't too far away especially if the lady is hot!  :hubba: I've got everything from aged and/or composted pack to the non-composted fresh pack that's pretty lively. I won't sell or give that to people for the present year's garden however. Chances of exposure to listeria are increased, one of the reasons they frown on it if growing canning crops like peas or string beans.  Might be OK if you're establishing a garden area one year, working it in and gardening it the next. Otherwise the fresh pack belongs on ground to be planted into corn and soybeans. 
« Last Edit: March 03/05/21, 03:16:01 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry glenn, mikey told me to post that!  :rotflmao:

Seriously, I do load up numerous pails, bags, boxes, trailers and pickups full of sheep poo over the course of a year. I'll even bring a spreader full if it isn't too far away especially if the lady is hot!  :hubba: I've got everything from aged and/or composted pack to the non-composted fresh pack that's pretty lively. I won't sell or give that to people for the present year's garden however. Chances of exposure to listeria are increased, one of the reasons they frown on it if growing canning crops like peas or string beans.  Might be OK if you're establishing a garden area one year, working it in and gardening it the next. Otherwise the fresh pack belongs on ground to be planted into corn and soybeans.
:happy1: :happy1: were gonna have to do something with that damn Mikey!!! :confused: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree. He's trouble.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  say what!!!!!!!!     :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
For my raised gardens, I buy a couple bags of the composted cow manure from Menards..works great.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Did you borrow a mask from glenn?  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Yea I borrowed HD that smurf mask. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: March 03/05/21, 08:01:54 PM by glenn57 »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you prefer any one over the other of the compsted
manure??

Seems to be all about the same.....I buy it at Menards, Home Depot, or Lowes. Whichever is cheaper.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the other day i wandered threw the garden center at menards, i did see some composted manure....figured it was to early to pick it up.  and i really didnt pay much attention to what back end it came out of! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: that area wasnt stocked all that well yet either.

they seem to be doing the continiuous 11% off thing again, i'll wait till i got a longer menards list to pick up 2-3 bags!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Nope, I got my own style....   :shocked:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Tha daffodils I transplanted from my Mom's place last November are coming up. :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Tha daffodils I transplanted from my Mom's place last November are coming up. :happy1:
you do know there gonna get snowed on again.......right!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: and i aint even seen a robin yet.  :doah:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The rain won't hurt the rhubarb... :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Planted a couple 10'+ rows of radishes tonite before we did chores. The small garden has some of the most bizarre soil I deal with. It's a combo of some black dirt the contractor used when installing the septic system (garden is over the top & around the tank), numerous skidsteer bucket loads of sheep chit, ashes, and the annual dumping of Mrs. Cheviot's planters and pots, containing leftover Osmocote fertilizer, perlite, peat moss and lord knows what else. It dries off fast on top but retains the moisture well throughout the growing season. I was shocked when I got the soil test back last fall. Likely due to the ashes, that pH at 7.6 is in Ken W's territory!  :scratch: Plenty of soil fertility otherwise and the pH being a little on the higher side doesn't seem to matter regardless of what we plant. Everything does fairly well.

Let it rain!  :happy1: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86kDFaJ2h4 

« Last Edit: March 03/09/21, 07:36:55 PM by Dotch »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great tune!  On of my favorites!   Still can't believe you planted already.  LOL  Good for you.