Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104836 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Best cover up them radishes Dotch.

That and drain my hose! Had this little jonquil show up yesterday. Daffodils are real close to opening. Might cover them. Should check the crocuses in the other bed while I'm at it. Not covering them. :bonk:

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I Started all my tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, and herbs 3 days ago. Next.... all the broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, pak choi, and kohlrabi plants this coming weekend.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I jump started,  green onion, lettuce,  acorn squash and zookini 2 week's ago, everything looks good. The problem is the zookini and squash are already 4" tall with nowhere to go with them.. live and learn I guess.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I always plant straight from seed into the garden my radishes, lettuce, spinach, kohlarabi, cucumbers, dill, and green beans.

The onions I plant are the sets and right into the ground also.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I jump started,  green onion, lettuce,  acorn squash and zookini 2 week's ago, everything looks good. The problem is the zookini and squash are already 4" tall with nowhere to go with them.. live and learn I guess.

Yes.....you might be early. Depends on when you transplant into the garden. Vine crops should be started 4 weeks before last frost date. They should not have more than 2 true leaves. If they are to big, they usually just sit there and don't grow. I always start my squash, cantaloupe, watermelons, and cucumbers May 1 and plant into the garden June 1. Put row covers over them to get extra heat.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I always plant straight from seed into the garden my radishes, lettuce, spinach, kohlarabi, cucumbers, dill, and green beans.

The onions I plant are the sets and right into the ground also.

I do similar except onions. I ALWAYS plant onion plants not sets. I really like raw sweet onions on HD, Sausage, Tacos, and Hamb. My philosophy has always been...."If you peel an onion and it makes you cry....Don't eat it raw." Cooked is OK.

So I buy bundles of sweet onion plants.....Candy or Wala Wala, Sweet Spanish, Alsa Craig, or Paterson......usually 50 to 75 plants in a bundle. They are usually grown from seed over winter in Texas.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I tried those for about 3-4 years. Had one really good crop. Even my sets are a crap shoot every year. Sometimes I have a great onion season, next year not so much. :rolleyes: :scratch:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have almost always had a crop of onions. What are you doing with them?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have almost always had a crop of onions. What are you doing with them?
I always have onions, it's the size?? :doah:

Not sure, I always rotate where I plant things. Use a hoe, make a trench about 2 inches deep, plant, cover, weed and water as needed.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
OK.....onions have special needs to get to size up. First, they start to make bulbs when we have the longest daylight....early to mid July. At that time....the larger the top green stems are.....the larger the bulb will be.

To get the largest stems.....they have to be planted the earliest possible. Onions are tough. They will grow even if it snows. Onions are biennial. Grow the plant the first year and then start growing again the next year to produce seeds on top.

I have even planted them along the edge of grass and garden. Kneeling down on the grass and sticking them in the ground before it can be tilled. I don't do that anymore. They should be the first thing you plant. Side dress them with fertilizer early July when they start to grow bulbs.

If you are buying sets.....get the smallest ones you can find. Buying in bulk is the best. You can pick out the smallest ones. If they are to large.....they will think it is their second season in the ground and grow seed pods on top. Won't keep. Also if you are buying bulk by the pound....you get the most by picking out the smallest ones.

Pull them in mid August when they are full size and the tops are bending down. Grab a bunch and tie them up with twine with a loop on the end. Hand on a nail in the garage until it gets to cold to keep them in the garage.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea I buy the sets by bulk and they are usually small. The biggest ones in the bulk are about the size of a really small bobber, less then a half inch.

Maybe I need to add a little extra fertilizer???

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Broke my own rules and covered the crocuses last nite, something I've never done. Took a look at them and they were just about ready to open. There are more of them too than I thought. They've spread around the bed, apparently by seed. I plan to move them this fall into the bed where I've planted the daffodils & other miscellaneous bulbs. Also covered the biggest hill of rhubarb with a 2 bushel basket. May cover the rest with blankets to reduce the leaf injury. Pruned fruit trees last nite until dark. Froze my @$$ off. Forecast low tonite is supposed to be in the mid-teens. Think I'll forego that until it's warmer.  :coffee:   
« Last Edit: March 03/31/21, 03:35:02 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Uncovered the daffodils, crocuses and rhubarb yesterday. All escaped the 15 degree low unscathed. It did toast some of the leaves on the iris but left the radishes alone. Didn't cover them. Figured there might be a little time to replant yet.  :cool:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
did a walkabout this morning......there sure hasnt been much progress in the rubarb or anything else for that matter. also not sure if those hen-n- chicks i planted last year are gonna make it either. some look nice and green others brown like there toast...between that and LPS's dogs brother....chewing on them.  :confused: :confused: :banghead: :banghead:

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Big changes for us with the gardening this year. I'm headed towards back surgery, so bending over to work a garden's out of question. Gonna get one of those elevated gatden carts and put 4 tomato plants, some lettube and onions in it, and a box to put on the deck railing for some herbs, and rhat,s gonna be it.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck with that back surgery GG..... where are you having it done. ???

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
In the back maybe?
Seriously, Good Luck with the surgery!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When will you have it done?  I had lower back surgery about 25 years ago and it was a complete success.  I am sure they are better at doing it now too.  Good luck GG.  Keep us informed as to how you progress.  Nothing to worry about.  It will go well!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck with the surgery gophergunner.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I saw these on Facebook, they are for sale in Isle.
Would be a back saver!
Good luck on your surgery.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
In the back maybe?
Seriously, Good Luck with the surgery!
:crazy: :crazy: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:funny boy Roony.  :rotflmao:i mean like brainerd, st cloud, having dotch do it????????????????????

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck with the back surgery GG!!!! Hope you get a full recovery!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Would be a back saver!
for those that use these type of things, you dont plant vining plants like cukes or zookini in them do yea??????

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I would like to get some rhubarb and asparagus going this year. Can anyone tell me what are the best varieties of these to plant in northern Mn.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Would be a back saver!
for those that use these type of things, you dont plant vining plants like cukes or zookini in them do yea??????

Good luck on your surgery gg!

I think bush squash might work. Rutabeggars too!  :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I would like to get some rhubarb and asparagus going this year. Can anyone tell me what are the best varieties of these to plant in northern Mn.

Canada Red has been a longtime favorite rhubarb here. We prefer it to the old fashioned green types. It's hardy to zone 3 so it should work. Not as sure on the asparagus as our patch burned out years ago when it became too shaded. I need to re-establish one so am in need of some guidance on that one meself. Maybe KEN W can chime in on it. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the rubarb we got was from my wifes sister. its basiclly red and work for us. Coopy......if you know someone who has rubarb already
 maybe they can split it and give you some. its how we got ours started.
the aspargus i planted i bought from Jungs. i believe its called Martha Washington. they where 2 year old roots i believe.  if my memory serves me i believe the directions say to leave them, or not harvest that first year. but these are doing really well.
« Last Edit: April 04/03/21, 09:36:14 AM by glenn57 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Would be a back saver!
I ALWAYS plant my pickles in the raised boxes! Works great 👍

Never tried zucchini in them 🤔

I plant radishes, lettuce, carrots, beets, onions, green beans & peas out of them as well.....

I got a separate garden for pepper and tomato.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I like the Purple Passion asparagus we have. I think we also have the Jersey Supreme and the Martha Washington I think. They are l good. I dug a 12 inch deep trench with a tile spade and covered the crowns with about 5 inches of soil. As they grew I kept putting more dirt on them. We have two rows about 12 feet long, way more than enough. I bet asparagus would really like some of that rotted sheep manure mixed with the soil too!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's how I started mine to Roony. My friend where I have it planted used a small track hoe yo dig the trench. :sleazy:

Be careful what you wish for... You might just get an unexpected package in the mail. :confused: :pouty: :rotflmao: