Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104672 times)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I did some selective harvesting the second year and full harvest after that. After July 1 we let it fern out. I just love the stuff!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
More of a lawn/ grass question. I have an area of my lawn that looks like winter took a toll on it.

Think it's to early to replant grass??
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Not too early to sow grass seed but maybe with rain and warmth some of that will still green up. Maybe...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Definitely not too early. Some alfalfa being seeded already so you're safe glenn. Well, at least for seeding grass anyway... :evil:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I put a bunch of seed down last fall but ya I have area's that could use more.  Talked to the garden tiller guy, last year he tilled it up the 20th of April,  looking a little earlier this year.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I put a bunch of seed down last fall but ya I have area's that could use more.  Talked to the garden tiller guy, last year he tilled it up the 20th of April,  looking a little earlier this year.
yea when the weather is this nice i get the itch to get started, but i've been burnt before.  :doah: :doah: i keep records of when and when i do garden stuff........so i'm trying to maintain patience with planting!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

yea i think i'll see if i can fit that grass seeding into my busy schedule this week!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Unless it's a big area I'd just try & rake it to see if there's anything green underneath, then hope for some rain. When I worked on the golf course I did that a lot on the tees & greens, would lightly brush in a little topdressing a couple times too. Within a week or so it'd usually come back.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
got the grass seed planted yesterday, looks like just in time for a few days of timely rain!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

been thinking about texting the G-man about tilling the garden, out of the blue last nite HE texted me......so hopefully between the raindrops he'll get to it this week!!!!!!!1

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got thru pruning our production fruit trees and did the major surgery on the crabapples. More important to get the face snappers, eye gougers, headphone grabbers and glasses snatchers out of the way first. I'll do the cosmetic stuff later if there's time. The daffodils are opening this a.m. If it gets to 80 like they're talking, they should be in full bloom by this evening. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Dotch......how about the cap removers??? I also did that last Thursday.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch.....how about the cap removers?? I also did that last Thursday. Did the neighbors also.

As you can see.....I put this on here twice....Where the heck is the delete post button???
« Last Edit: April 04/05/21, 12:07:35 PM by KEN W »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did that with our lilac bush.  Cut out all of the big stumps so it is new shorter stuff.  Looks a lot nicer.  Shorter too.  Hope we still get flowers.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch.....how about the cap removers?? I also did that last Thursday. Did the neighbors also.

As you can see.....I put this on here twice....Where the heck is the delete post button???

Those cap removers and scalp scarifiers are the bane of my lawn mowing existence. Never felt a bit of remorse after cutting a larger than anticipated limb in order to make lawn mowing less hazardous. I do say little prayer sometimes though. It goes: "Take that, you SOB!"  :angry:

Good question on the delete post thing. Think I've been able to delete the content using the modify button. Then there's a blank post which in my case everyone just assumes I've gone a 15 rounder with the juniper berry extract so they expect it.  :tequila;

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea you got that right about the 15 rounds. :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner.....I also worked 15 summers at a golf course. Mowed miles of grass. Hunting and fishing trip money.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Close to 12-13 for me, from ~ 82 - 95. Loved it, the boss was a :fishing: buddy & he even came up here quite a few times. Wish it'd paid more cause I pretty much lived there. Not workin, I was playin, not playin, I was  :drinking: there. :crazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I worked at Green Lee Golf Course in Alberts Leaf in 71 and 72.  Loved doing it.  Planned on going to school for it.  My buddy did and the pay was lousy even at very big fancy courses across the country. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I worked summers because I was teaching the rest of the year. Loved that outside work. I started many flowers at home for the flower beds at the course. Rode a zero turning radius moor in the rough. That thing was awesome.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty much my own boss back then but it was usually fairways or greens for me. Most of our equipment was pretty old & beat up, so it usually took some TLC. Worked a few summers with 1 of our HS's teachers/golf coach too, a good guy & we got along great.
« Last Edit: April 04/05/21, 07:51:56 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I can see why the way you iowgians drive.  :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :nerd:

Anywho, the G-man showed up and tilled the garden.  :happy1: had a few  :toast: and  :bs:'ed a bit and he was off.

Of course we never talked about any of you guys. :sleazy: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Did a quick bomb session after chores in the gardens last nite. Trenched and worked manure with a little urea in around the rhubarb. Took the dead residue off the peonies and removed the grass clippings/leaf mat from the lilies of the valley. Daffodils were out in full force this a.m. so figured before the wind beats the snot out of them I'd snap a photo. Dug them up at Mom's last October and planted the bulbs in a hurry at our place. Grateful to have some of them bloom. Reminds me of her and her love of gardening.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I can see why the way you iowgians drive.  :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :nerd:

Anywho, the G-man showed up and tilled the garden.  :happy1: had a few  :toast: and  :bs:'ed a bit and he was off.

Of course we never talked about any of you guys. :sleazy: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Sure....I believe that as much as you are blue and live under a mushroom.  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey it was all good. :happy1: :happy1:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally supposed to get some rain tomorrow. I would guess some of you south of here have gotten some rain yesterday and today. My wife's daffodils are just coming up. Today I cleaned the leaves out of the blueberries raspberries and asparagus. Haven't uncovered the strawberries yet. Don't want them blooming and then get frost.
Juneberries are always first to leaf out. looking good.
« Last Edit: April 04/06/21, 08:15:27 PM by KEN W »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yesterday afternoon i checked the rain gauge........2 1/2 inches!!!!!! and today and tomorrow rain forecasted........

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow Glenn that is a lot of rain!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a guess but ~ 1.25" here, 1.5" maybe but I doubt it. Bemidji's 24/7 weather channel was calling for another 1/2-3/4" today earlier. :happy1: :cool:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
been raining pretty much all morning..........i didnt dump the gauge yet......so it'll be interesting how much we got when this is done. looked out the window earlier, with the garden just tilled.......looks pretty soupy. hope i can keep shadow out of it!!!!! :doofus: :confused:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
3/4 inch here. Supposed to rain all afternoon. Rain barrels full.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Could've swore I heard the Duluth weatherman mention that somewhere in the Dakotas got 10" of snow out of yday's storm. Thought he said South but................... :confused: