Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 6896 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  • Liked: 4358
  • Likes Given: 4464
Around here I hear people saying to get your garden in by Mem. Day.  What a big difference in planting zones just in MN.
i hear ya.........i've been keeping records written down for about 12 years, this isnt the earliest I've planted. maybe the 3-4th earlyest. some way later. but yea i usually try and have my whole garden in by around the week or 2 after fishing opener.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 974
  • Likes Given: 597
Took a bunch of asparagus outhe today along with some winter onions that I started a few years back from some bulbs Glenn sent me. That guy is always spreading joy around. Spreading something anyway.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Took a bunch of asparagus outhe today along with some winter onions that I started a few years back from some bulbs Glenn sent me. That guy is always spreading joy around. Spreading something anyway.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yep just got to leave some go, they grow sets, then replant them. Should never run out.

I cleaned a bunch extra before I left for the cabin to share with gunner and LPS, but that didn't pan out. :confused: :pouty:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 4395
  • Likes Given: 3225
Radishes planted March 9th have finally started to act like radishes. Funny what a little warmer weather will do. No idea if they'll pan out but hey experimentation is half the fun at least that's what I always told my girlfriends... :evil:

Applied glyphosate burndown on the new garden area yesterday. Wait until the weekend to mow off the grass then till it up. Never in a hurry to get garden in out here in the wide open spaces. Not unusual to see a frost in late May or even the first week in June. Doesn't usually kill stuff but doesn't do it any favors either. Since we like to grow things a smurf won't eat such as squash, it's nice to give them the best odds of making it.  :happy1:

Also yesterday, cleaned off the residue from last year's morning glories, a lot of ropy biomass. Worked the soil a bit and firmed the seed bed. They should reseed nicely.  Also weeded the lilies of the valley. Wild buckwheat and chickweed can make a mess in there later on if you don't. Quite a few of them get picked for use in floral design altho you'd never know it.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone have any use for these??? I have no use for them. Says they are for refrigerating, freezing, or storing, but not intended for processing. If I like ya I will even pay to ship. :sleazy: :rotflmao:

My kid ordered a bunch of lids and rims from Amazon, 85 bucks later, not sure if I got the shaft though. :doah: :scratch: yesterday my wife's friend dropped off a pile of rings and lids. I'm set for life with rings and have a 2 year supply of lids. :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 1688
  • Likes Given: 2606
You ever make refrigerator pickles? They would work for that. Or for your pickled northern. Just a thought.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You ever make refrigerator pickles? They would work for that. Or for your pickled northern. Just a thought.
  :happy1: the type of refrigerator pickles i make i use cucumbers at cut them in spears, i use 2 gallon jars for them. only type of jar big/long enough for them.

my pickled fish i just use quart jars with the normal rings and lids.

thanks for the idea JB!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Scored. From my patch.  :happy1: iffin we'd get some rain they'd go gang busters.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 2910
  • Likes Given: 2810
ya must be hungary for it as small as some of them are...  good eats!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 4395
  • Likes Given: 3225
He's just a little blue guy mikey so it figures!  :rotflmao:

On the back road to Owatonna the ditch hunters were out looking for apser grass this a.m. There used to be some large fields thru there on Steele Co. 7 until the canning co. in Owatonna stopped raising it. Stopped raising pumpkins too. Life hasn't been the same ever since.  :confused:

I saw they had about a half dozen SnowSweet apple trees at FF. No Honeygold however.  Lots of Haralson & Haralred too. Was tempted to add another SnowSweet here but think I'll save my shekels for now. FF is still good for something. Paid $2.58 for gas there with my coupon.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: May 05/08/21, 03:19:04 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ya must be hungary for it as small as some of them are...  good eats!!!
:tut: :tut: jealousy will get you nowhere. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 974
  • Likes Given: 597
The short stubby ones are tender.
That's what she said.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea know JB, now ya got me thinking, i might just keep me a box for the pickled fish. there's just something with that brine that makes them rings a little gooey! :doah: :scratch: pretty sure its the vinegar and sugar!!!!! might keep enough for my pickled green beans too!!!!!! they need to stay refrigerated!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 1483
  • Likes Given: 7921
 :scratch: Ever try soaking those gooey rings in a little water & baking soda? Not sure it'll help  :confused: but pretty sure it won't hurt.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: I ain't got time for that nonsense when I'm in full food processing mode. :confused: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 1483
  • Likes Given: 7921
 :scratch: How about RIGHT NOW? Before you need 'em! :doofus: :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: How about RIGHT NOW? Before you need 'em! :doofus: :pouty:
:pouty: well there already cleaned,bits when there's fish in them duh. :confused: :rotflmao:

Video