Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104702 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Around here I hear people saying to get your garden in by Mem. Day.  What a big difference in planting zones just in MN.
i hear ya.........i've been keeping records written down for about 12 years, this isnt the earliest I've planted. maybe the 3-4th earlyest. some way later. but yea i usually try and have my whole garden in by around the week or 2 after fishing opener.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Took a bunch of asparagus outhe today along with some winter onions that I started a few years back from some bulbs Glenn sent me. That guy is always spreading joy around. Spreading something anyway.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Took a bunch of asparagus outhe today along with some winter onions that I started a few years back from some bulbs Glenn sent me. That guy is always spreading joy around. Spreading something anyway.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yep just got to leave some go, they grow sets, then replant them. Should never run out.

I cleaned a bunch extra before I left for the cabin to share with gunner and LPS, but that didn't pan out. :confused: :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Radishes planted March 9th have finally started to act like radishes. Funny what a little warmer weather will do. No idea if they'll pan out but hey experimentation is half the fun at least that's what I always told my girlfriends... :evil:

Applied glyphosate burndown on the new garden area yesterday. Wait until the weekend to mow off the grass then till it up. Never in a hurry to get garden in out here in the wide open spaces. Not unusual to see a frost in late May or even the first week in June. Doesn't usually kill stuff but doesn't do it any favors either. Since we like to grow things a smurf won't eat such as squash, it's nice to give them the best odds of making it.  :happy1:

Also yesterday, cleaned off the residue from last year's morning glories, a lot of ropy biomass. Worked the soil a bit and firmed the seed bed. They should reseed nicely.  Also weeded the lilies of the valley. Wild buckwheat and chickweed can make a mess in there later on if you don't. Quite a few of them get picked for use in floral design altho you'd never know it.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone have any use for these??? I have no use for them. Says they are for refrigerating, freezing, or storing, but not intended for processing. If I like ya I will even pay to ship. :sleazy: :rotflmao:

My kid ordered a bunch of lids and rims from Amazon, 85 bucks later, not sure if I got the shaft though. :doah: :scratch: yesterday my wife's friend dropped off a pile of rings and lids. I'm set for life with rings and have a 2 year supply of lids. :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
You ever make refrigerator pickles? They would work for that. Or for your pickled northern. Just a thought.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You ever make refrigerator pickles? They would work for that. Or for your pickled northern. Just a thought.
  :happy1: the type of refrigerator pickles i make i use cucumbers at cut them in spears, i use 2 gallon jars for them. only type of jar big/long enough for them.

my pickled fish i just use quart jars with the normal rings and lids.

thanks for the idea JB!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Scored. From my patch.  :happy1: iffin we'd get some rain they'd go gang busters.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ya must be hungary for it as small as some of them are...  good eats!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
He's just a little blue guy mikey so it figures!  :rotflmao:

On the back road to Owatonna the ditch hunters were out looking for apser grass this a.m. There used to be some large fields thru there on Steele Co. 7 until the canning co. in Owatonna stopped raising it. Stopped raising pumpkins too. Life hasn't been the same ever since.  :confused:

I saw they had about a half dozen SnowSweet apple trees at FF. No Honeygold however.  Lots of Haralson & Haralred too. Was tempted to add another SnowSweet here but think I'll save my shekels for now. FF is still good for something. Paid $2.58 for gas there with my coupon.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: May 05/08/21, 03:19:04 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ya must be hungary for it as small as some of them are...  good eats!!!
:tut: :tut: jealousy will get you nowhere. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The short stubby ones are tender.
That's what she said.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea know JB, now ya got me thinking, i might just keep me a box for the pickled fish. there's just something with that brine that makes them rings a little gooey! :doah: :scratch: pretty sure its the vinegar and sugar!!!!! might keep enough for my pickled green beans too!!!!!! they need to stay refrigerated!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Ever try soaking those gooey rings in a little water & baking soda? Not sure it'll help  :confused: but pretty sure it won't hurt.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: I ain't got time for that nonsense when I'm in full food processing mode. :confused: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: How about RIGHT NOW? Before you need 'em! :doofus: :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: How about RIGHT NOW? Before you need 'em! :doofus: :pouty:
:pouty: well there already cleaned,bits when there's fish in them duh. :confused: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Not really garden but didn't want to start a new thread. :scratch: this tree outgrew the lawn edging so I remodeled. Took the edging out and put these granite rock corrings in place of edging. Thought it turned out pretty good.  Got 1 more tree I'm doing this too

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks good Glenn!!   scored some good strawberry rhubarb today!!!    and sounds like my asparagus patch and I will see each other this wed!!!!    :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice work, Glenn. Maybe you should do some freelance landscape design in your second career.
« Last Edit: May 05/10/21, 07:54:52 PM by fishwidow »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :laugh: Yea not gonna happen.
. and thanks guys.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy you weren't far off Glenn when you mentioned plants have jumped in price. Hit 2 stores on the way home today and between the 2 they averaged 4.10 for a small container vegie.  Got most of the garden planted but still need a couple more jalapenos and wait for the pole pickles to come out. I did end up planting from seed some stringless pole beans, hopefully they take..

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wife just returned from St. Charles & some of the Amish places. Said her & her gal pal must've hit a dozen greenhouses. Fairly reasonable prices there & she should know having worked greenhouse retail as many years as she did. She got me some yellow pear tomatoes & a yellow canna along with a bunch of other stuff I can't remember the names of. Will probably know by the time I'm done planting all of them. Probably won't be the proper name either... :evil:
« Last Edit: May 05/11/21, 07:27:11 PM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy you weren't far off Glenn when you mentioned plants have jumped in price. Hit 2 stores on the way home today and between the 2 they averaged 4.10 for a small container vegie.  Got most of the garden planted but still need a couple more jalapenos and wait for the pole pickles to come out. I did end up planting from seed some stringless pole beans, hopefully they take..
your beans will be fine.  :happy1: I've always planted beans from seed.

Yea I got around 35-40 bucks in garden plants. :doah:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We both love green beans but haven't planted them before.  I got a nice metal grate thing 4' x 6' I think.  Was thinking of planting beans on it.  Should I go 4' high and 6' long or 6' high and 4' long.  How high will pole beans climb?

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I would go tall. I’ve had pole beans go up 7 feet and then start back down when they ran out of pole.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great!  Thanks for the info.  That is what I will do and it won't take up as much ground.  Any advice on what kind of pole beans to get or are they pretty much the same?
« Last Edit: May 05/11/21, 08:10:44 PM by LPS »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I like the Kentucky Wonder.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
As I was heading out the door to go to Runnings for boat stuff my wife asks me to pick up some marigolds and an asparagus fern for one of her planters. I got a couple 4 packs of marigolds and saw a 4 pack of asparagus ferns.  Only thing is when I got home she pointed out that I bought asparagus plants, NOT asparagus ferns.   :pouty:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
As I was heading out the door to go to Runnings for boat stuff my wife asks me to pick up some marigolds and an asparagus fern for one of her planters. I got a couple 4 packs of marigolds and saw a 4 pack of asparagus ferns.  Only thing is when I got home she pointed out that I bought asparagus plants, NOT asparagus ferns.   :pouty:
OOPS!!!🥴🥴

I just plant blue lake green beans.
« Last Edit: May 05/11/21, 08:57:39 PM by glenn57 »