Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104739 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will look it up.  It was growing right next to a Seedum.  I should have taken a pic before I pulled it.  Actually a nice looking plant.  Thanks.  I knew I would find out from youse guys.   :happy1:

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Got one in a shrub area at the corner of the house. I know it’s a weed, but I’ve decided to leave it.
Also have a lot of milkweeds this year, and there are plenty of monarch butterfly caterpillars on them. I’m leaving them alone, too, since that’s the only plant monarchs lay eggs on. Their numbers are decreasing.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's a common mullein. Used to try to smoke it. As boar would say, bad chit man!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: June 06/24/21, 09:23:07 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I leave a big patch of milkweed too.  I have seen more Monarchs the last couple of years all around the county.  Ya that was a nice looking plant.  Maybe I should have left it.  ???

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
We smoked dry corn silk in hollowed out corn cobs fitted with hollowed out pieces of corn stalks. Not one of my brighter moments as a youth,  but probably a lot safer than some of the other stunts I tried on the farm as a kid. Bull fighting? Really pissed off my uncle. Hanging from the highest points of silos by just my hands?  Stealing Chesterfields from my aunt and smoking them in a little shelter built of straw bales?

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dad had a bunch of old "It's a Boy" & "It's a Girl" stogies stashed in a drawer. A 6th grade buddy & I decided it was a good idea to smoke them. We hiked off to a culvert where "no one would see us". Never mind they could see where we went plain as day. We lit 'em up & after a few puffs decided we'd miscalculated. We turned green, about the same color as the stogies. My friend hurled & even tho I didn't I might've felt better if I had. Dad never said a word. He knew.
« Last Edit: June 06/24/21, 10:06:23 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Damn you guys were heathens and troublemakers back in the day . :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We lived right on the edge of town and there was a huge cornfield next to us.  That is where we went to hide and make trouble.  We stole Kents from our mothers and smoked them in the fort we made in the cornfield.  I remember it wasn't near as much fun as we thought it would be.  We couldn't even smoke more than one.  LOL

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My dad smoked about 3 packs of chesterfield a day. My cousin and I smoked the tobacco from his butts in a pipe. Got a bit light headed.
Once a troublemaker always a troublemaker.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Cherries finally on sale this week at Aldi.....$1.59 /pound.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked a handful of jalapenos,  2 small cukes, and a gold zookini today.  Some of the other zookini are showing signs of rot, not all tho. The tomatoes are looking good, spose I could pull a few for green fried. The green beans have climbed a 6 foot trellis and are making there way down but havnt flowered yet. I did pick a green bell but the rest are pretty small. If I remember right last year I was picking cukes non stop come July.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Youse guys and all these early vegetables... :rolleyes: :rotflmao: I'm living on the edge and planting late so I can keep harvesting when the ground is about to freeze up. I bypass the bugs that way...  ;)  :bonk: Planted 3 rows ~ 15' long of 3 different string bean varieties tonite. Got my winter radishes purchased and several spring radishes I'll seed the end of July. Also got greens, a couple more radish varieties and a couple more varieties of sugar snap pea ordered. I want to avoid using stool softener at all costs!  :shocked: 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have been eating radishes like crazy.  I planted another row of them the other day.  Had some lettuce last night too. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i took a gander around the garden last nite when i got home...... good part is the wife didnt kill it!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :happy1: cukes are just starting to flower, tomatoes are starting to produce  :happy1: and looks like i may need to start picking dill!!!!!!!!

with the much anticipated rain coming i did water some stuff, the cukes looked pretty rough. looked out this morning they all look happy!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Last night we had ribs for dinner with some carrots  and green beans I picked out of the garden....I forgot how much fresh carrots taste compared to  store bought.  :happy1:

I checked the zucchini yesterday, I have a few that are about six inches long. I noticed something weird though...I bought both plants from the same farmers garden, but the plants have different shaped leaves  :scratch:

They both were labeled "green zucchini"
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
going by one amish farm I see the sweet corn was tasseled out!!!  and it was only 3 to feet tall...  mini sweet corn cobs this year!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
This rain and cool weather sure perked everything up  :happy1:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
1 1/2 inches here early this morning. Everything is back to lush green. We are eating Romaine lettuce. Lots of peas. Grandkids love sitting in the pea patch. Strawberries are finally done. Time to start potting up daughter plants to start new rows for next year. I had 4 thirty foot rows. 2 varieties....Honeyoe and Cabot. Cabot has the largest fruit of any strawberry. Grandkids call them strawberry bombs.

Picked 4 ice cream buckets of Juneberries. Just put the last of them in the freezer. Should be enough to make about 15 pies. Raspberries starting to produce. Yellow ones are really good. Purple ones are the biggest and taste the best. Reds are are little behind.

Had some poor germination for carrots, beets, and spinach. Had to reseed them. So they are a little behind. All my tomatoes have green fruit. So I fertilized them and put straw around them to reduce Blossom End Rot.
« Last Edit: July 07/06/21, 05:34:36 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
First picking of dill is in the books  :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you freeze it for later?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you freeze it for later?
yes, I actually have some yet from last year in the freezer, nuttin wrong with it. Been doing that for years. I usually always end up giving some to people who need some also.

Only trick to the frozen dill is use what you need and then get it back in the freezer ASAP.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Right beside the smurfberries... :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What kind of soil do you have?
I've tried several years here to grow dill, and it never produces very much.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've heard that before. i get my pickles from becks in elk river and they keep telling me that not everyone can grow dill  :scratch:!!!!!! my stepdad lives in new richmond wisc and he grows it, i give him the seeds.

soil ???? its regular black dirt to me. before this part of town was added it used to be a farm field!!! i know the General grows it too!!!!!!!!! all i know is long time ago i almost didnt find any so the next spring i bought a couple packets and started growing it myself. i bought the dill that forms the little bulb on the end. every year i let a bunch turn dark into seed and just replant that the next year. i even have it right by the black walnut tree!!! and NUTTIN supposed to grow there. :scratch: :scratch:

i can send you some seeds if ya wanna try again..........................

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
One mistake many people make with dill is planting it too deep. My understanding is that it should be just barely covered with soil so the sunlight can still hit the seeds.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One mistake many people make with dill is planting it too deep. My understanding is that it should be just barely covered with soil so the sunlight can still hit the seeds.
correct......i plant the dill like the carrots. make a trench with the hoe and maybe a 1/2 to 1/4 inch deep!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
not my garden but dang,my crab grass is blooming big time,backyard is lime green

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Stuff is having a banner year here too. The new garden spot is just loaded with it. Have a sprayer mixed up with generic Select (clethodim) I think from a couple years ago. Sprayed some on a small patch of crabgrass by the barn to make sure. Smelled like Select but rather not nuke my garden by accident. It's out where everyone can see it now.  :embarrassed:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
i've heard that before. i get my pickles from becks in elk river and they keep telling me that not everyone can grow dill  :scratch:!!!!!! my stepdad lives in new richmond wisc and he grows it, i give him the seeds.

soil ???? its regular black dirt to me. before this part of town was added it used to be a farm field!!! i know the General grows it too!!!!!!!!! all i know is long time ago i almost didnt find any so the next spring i bought a couple packets and started growing it myself. i bought the dill that forms the little bulb on the end. every year i let a bunch turn dark into seed and just replant that the next year. i even have it right by the black walnut tree!!! and NUTTIN supposed to grow there. :scratch: :scratch:

i can send you some seeds if ya wanna try again..........................

Yup , G is in clay and I'm in sand. He can grow it and I can't . I'm not planting it to deep...... I'm thinking it's the acidic soil.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, I wanna file a crop failure claim! :confused: :doah:

Decided to cut clean and freeze what little celery I could get for now. 4 plants/ stocks and got a qt ziplock bag 1/3 full  :confused: :doah: that should fill at least a gallon bag.

We shall see, hopefully round 2 will have better results.