Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104684 times)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Me thinks celery likes cool, wet weather. Pretty much the opposite of this year.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked 2 more gold zookini, with lots more on the way. A few green ones coming but not like the gold. Sliced, oiled, seasoned and grilled topped with parmesan cheese is real tasty.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I seeded dill a few years ago. I never use it all. Some goes to seed and now comes up anywhere in my garden. I picked my first head of cauliflower today. My daughter baked it. I also am eating cabbage. Yellow summer squash is a few days away. Green beans should be on the menu next week.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Some of our radishes got pretty big and they have some kick to them.  I tried dipping them in Ranch dressing and it is great!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Never tried that but I think I will!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Some of our radishes got pretty big and they have some kick to them.  I tried dipping them in Ranch dressing and it is great!
I got kids and grandkids that put ranch dressing on everything. :doofus: :rotflmao:

Isn't a bad idea though. :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just salt on my radishes....  never got into the ranch stuff that much...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually put on a dab of butter, then salt. Try it.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually put on a dab of butter, then salt. Try it.

interesting, but ok I will next time... 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Glenn, I'll take some dill seeds if you have extra...I'm thinking that I'll have to change the soil content though.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: just picked more today and was thinking about that. You gotta have a place on your property with some black dirt?? :scratch: I'll send you some this fall with any new stuff I get. Either by mail or when I come out tree rat hunting.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
last night putzing around in the garden looking at my tomatoes i am seeing a fair amount of my plants wilting!!!!! :angry2: :angry2: so i googled preventing tomato wilt. it talks about irregular watering, PH levels, and bacteria and fungus. i try really hard to be consistent with watering, this morning after i watered last nite some look better today?? :scratch: :scratch: my tomatoes and peppers get hand watered with a water can when i do it, pretty sure my wife uses the water hose when she is in charge, so......

up until a couple years ago i never had this issue, and i do my best to rotate where i plant things in the garden. when i googled that there was a product that came up to spray on the plant to prevent that.......some kind of wilt protection and supposedly good for the full growing season, they dont give that stuff away either. it also said to plant in pots or raised gardens but that aint feasable.

i value my tomatoes out of the garden like gold so this irritataes me to no end........ any ideas. seriouly thinking of getting this wilt stuff thats supposedto protect/prevent wilt, but wonder iffin its to late for this year????

i'm going to go ask the local country store here in town if they can do a PH test, its associated with the coop here.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So here is a question to you that are more knowledgeable than me.  Most of you.  LOL  I have a asparagus batch in my driveway ditch.  I mow it with my pull behind mower so it leaves it about 4-5" high.  Will I hurt my asparagus if I keep mowing it down?  It is now tall with seeds on it.   

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I only mow mine in the early spring, and once more in fall. Then in the fall after mowing, I cover with mulch.
From what I've read, mutable mowings damage the plants.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will avoid it then.  The mulch may keep the weeds down too.  Good idea.  Thanks

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
So here is a question to you that are more knowledgeable than me.  Most of you.  LOL  I have a asparagus batch in my driveway ditch.  I mow it with my pull behind mower so it leaves it about 4-5" high.  Will I hurt my asparagus if I keep mowing it down?  It is now tall with seeds on it.

you won't hurt, but you will most likely kill it....

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Raised garden beds are doing great!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks great!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just back from weeding the asparagus patch  :doofus: before.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
2 1/2 hours later!! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: 'Bout time you :evil: did somethin constructive!!                     ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes.....mowing it off all the time will kill it. Asparagus needs to have the ferns on top to allow the plants to store energy through it's ferns. Same reason you can only take spears for a few weeks(depending on how old the patch is.) When the spears in my patch get to be pencil size, I stop cutting them.

I leave the ferns on over winter to catch snow. Cut them off in spring.

HD.....nice raised beds. Your family likes beets.....Mine too, kids and grandkids all like beets.
« Last Edit: July 07/11/21, 07:54:29 AM by KEN W »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: 'Bout time you :evil: did somethin constructive!!                     ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Made an executive decision today, that before the supposed rain wed these onions are getting pulled.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine are starting to lay down also. Not expecting rain for awhile so will leave them in a little longer.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The string beans planted late July 5th are emerging. The Top Crop variety has emerged completely while the Tender Green & Tenderette are little more pokey. The first planting Tender Green is beginning to flower. Squash and pumpkins are going bonkers with the rainfall, sunshine and warmer temps. If this keeps up they will cover their space in another week or so. Green Dragon cukes are starting to vine while the Munchers are slower. The one hill I replanted July 4th has some emerged seedlings. Maters are looking good. Disease free, lots of fruit set. The yellow pear plants are 5+' tall & growing. Put a cage around a Champion plant Friday just minutes before it rained. Another week and it would've been tough to do. Zucchini's are flowering like mad.

One of the 4 o'clocks I potted is about ready to flower. Lots of bumblebees. Just hoping I don't locate their nest with the lawnmower.  :shocked:       
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Will start picking yellow and purple raspberries. Green beans, purple beans, and  yellow squash will be ready by the end of the week. Lots of green tomatoes. Pinching off the tops of indeterminate tomatoes as they reach the top of the cages.

Potted up 75 new strawberry daughter plants to move to new beds in a couple of weeks. Corn is just starting to tassel. Hopefully it will be ready to eat in 3 weeks. 2 test varieties from NDSU's Horticulture Extension Service.

I am testing 2 varieties each of Cantaloupe, Corn, Peas, and Carrots.
« Last Edit: July 07/12/21, 04:44:07 PM by KEN W »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not in the garden. It's a volunteer sunflower.  Seeded it's self in the yard so I let it go.  It's over 10 feet tall and still growing.  I may just need a stump grinder this fall.  :rotflmao:

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
New variety.....save the seeds for next year.