Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104732 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
holy crap.....never seen a sunflower plant get that huge!!!!!!!!!!! :doofus: :rotflmao: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Quick question. With the large holes in the leafs and these little green worms mean my broccoli is pretty much toast for the year?
mm

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Doesn't have to be. Get thee to a garden center or big box store & look for a product like Dipel (Bacillus thurengensis) or Sevin or any number of synthetic pyrethroids such as permethrin or bifenthrin. Cabbage worms are a PITA but aren't necessarily a deal breaker.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
White butterflies laying eggs on and Cole Crop. Plant is still OK. Dust first to kill the ones there.  No heads there yet. Since I don't want to be eating pesticides.....I cover my Broc, Caul, etc with a fine mesh netting. Keeps them from laying eggs. I have been eating Broc and Caul over the past week.
« Last Edit: July 07/14/21, 06:56:25 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i pulled my onions yesterday. wasnt impressed. wasnt the best i ever had, not the worst either......that was last year!!!!!!its sure been a frustrating year for the garden.  :surrender: makes me kinda want to throw int he towel some.......but i wont!!!!!! i do expect it to be an early year to be done though. that tomato wilt sure  has me cranked up!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Did the dollar tour on the yard & garden(s) last nite. Morning glories are starting to bloom. Need to make sure I collect some of the seed from the variegated variety so it can have its own trellis someplace next year. It's not as aggressive as the varieties that come from seed each year. Staked all the tomato cages with electric fence posts. With potential wind coming would be preferable if they are standing. Two of the recently planted string bean varieties are completely emerged. The Tenderette has some gaps. Was a difference in the procedure used for establishment & it shows. Likely got them a hair to deep given the ample rainfall that followed. Cannas have put it in overdrive with the heat and rain. Nowhere near what deadeye's are but mine were planted 2-3 weeks later. 1st potted four o'clock was blooming while I was grilling. Love the way they smell.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
D.E. no offense but your pic reminds me of "jack and the bean stock" good grief,and no flower head yet. so you didn't plant that bad boy?

Some of you guyz have impressive gardens....I'm lucky to get wild flowers to come up every spring,however my morning glories come back every year without seeding,however my moon glories didn't appear this summer morning glories are very sparse compared to my neighbor,his glories engulf his entire privacy fence just a wall of green vines/flowers,hummingbirds are enjoying the trumpeter vine flowers that popped this week after the last rain storm here,good to see.
« Last Edit: July 07/14/21, 12:46:20 PM by snow1 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
took a gander around the garden this morning.......things are slowly moving along. by mid next week my dill should be done and yanked......sad to say but less to water!!!!! :pouty: appears to me i will have a bumper crop of jalepino peppers  again!!!!!

also if anyone wants any starter bulbs of winter onions to start a patch or add to........i'll have plenty/ dont be afraid to ask!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

speaking of garden stuff, went down to the local coop/country store to get something to nurse my maters back to health.....hopefully  :pouty: :doah: they had the weekly farmers market set up. the local guy, Willenbrings, holy crap did he have HUGE onions!!!!!! made me jealous!!

ten they had a Novaks from foley......there kalarbi was the size of a softball!!!!!!!! :doofus: how dey do dat?????????? :scratch: :scratch:
other then that some had cukes, dill berries.......

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the folks down the road have had 12 inch kohlrabi's!!   Jim had several 8 inch one's last year when he grew them!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You guys always have the biggest kohlrabis... :pouty:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: they don't need no stinking rain.
You guys always have the biggest kohlrabis... :pouty:
« Last Edit: July 07/15/21, 12:34:24 PM by roony »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We got trouble, right here in River City...

When I was mowing by the garden last night I gazed to the west against the sun and all I could see was a carpet of red where the cucurbit vines aren't covering the ground. The whole Russian army's worth of waterhemp. I see lots of tilling & hoeing in my future once it dries up.  :huh: Squash & punkins are starting to flower.  :happy1:   

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
First time I planted pumpkins and gourds in my fenced in garden. They have grown over the cucumbers, past and up the sunflowers, engulfed the peppers and are now headed to the potatoes.  If they make it past the onions and start up the tomatoes, I gonna yank them.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yer maters look nice & yer cannas are blooming!  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Back in from doing battle with the weeds in the main garden. Probably the last time I'll be able to use the tiller on the vine crops for the year. July 5th planted beans in the foreground, Jack be Little pumpkins, then jack o'lantern pumpkins, then buttercup squash, cucumbers after that and my ratty first planting of string beans. They've led a miserable existence thus far. Next two pics are the small garden. The yellow pear tomatoes are now 6' tall. Zucchini plants got huge too this year for some reason. This garden is likely to be relegated to just floral stuff as time goes on. It produces but it's getting too shaded especially earlier in the season when the sun is high overhead. The main garden gets full sun, one of the reasons we chose that spot. We'll probably about double its size eventually.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks great there Dotch.  No deer?   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks! There's so much corn, soybeans, alfalfa and other assorted stuff around here they probably just haven't got to it yet. Did see some fawn-sized tracks in the garden earlier on. Mama might've had the little tyke stashed in the brush for a while. Been more concerned about the bunnies eating my beans. Wait till I plant snap peas in late July-early August.  :rolleyes: 
« Last Edit: July 07/19/21, 09:34:24 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked this today. First for all that's pictured. Also picked and pulled the rest of the dill. Less that needs to be watered.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good eats!!!   :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You get all the nice vegetables... :pouty:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I see blts in your near future!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

I thought bacon was on his "list".....

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
those 2 won't make it
Past supper tonight. :smoking: :sleazy:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I thought bacon was on his "list".....
Reb, I lower my standards to eat bacon for BLT's only. :nerd: :nerd:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Took a gander around the garden a bit ago and noticed these. :sleazy: the chances of them making it to the stovetop is not gonna happen. :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Took a gander around the garden a bit ago and noticed these. :sleazy: the chances of them making it to the stovetop is not gonna happen. :happy1:

That's good! Only one place for those things.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

darn good eats there!!! yellow beans too!!!   :happy1: :happy1: