Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104696 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Took a gander around the garden a bit ago and noticed these. :sleazy: the chances of them making it to the stovetop is not gonna happen. :happy1:

darn good eats there!!! yellow beans too!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
I tried yellow beans for the first time last year, Yea I should plant some of them too!! Next year. :happy1:

Theplants have alot of flowers, do hope they produce enough. I have a few fresh meals, blanche and freeze some then pickle the rest.

I won't buy beans. But if people give me some ...
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
personally I like the yellow beans better, but enjoy the green beans too...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's racist... :shocked:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
That's racist... :shocked:

n o it's not I said I prefer the one but like both!!!     :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Took a gander around the garden a bit ago and noticed these. :sleazy: the chances of them making it to the stovetop is not gonna happen. :happy1:

That's good! Only one place for those things.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yep in my tummy. :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
After the deer attacked our cukes the second time, I built kind of a shanty Irish fence around them with some old woven wire. It ain't much but it's keeping them out. The warden even picked enough cukes to make some refrigerator pickles. I'm watering the plants now while waiting for the lawn to dry out.
Also getting some zucchini and a few cherry tomatoes. We like the Sun Sugar variety.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."

I'm growing purple beans this year. 2 test varieties from NDSU. we are picking green beans now.....purple in a few days.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I'm growing purple beans this year. 2 test varieties from NDSU. we are picking green beans now.....purple in a few days.

had them years ago and very good too!!  I think they turned green when cooked if I remember right...   :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We grew them years ago as kind of a novelty for our kids. They are easier to see when picking and, yes, they turn green when you cook them.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what I was told.....turn green when cooked. We will see in a couple days.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Grew up eating Purple Pods. I also grew them back in the days when I had a big garden. Don’t garden much anymore because I live in the midst of too many veggie eating critters. I have always thought that the Purple Pods, Kentucky Wonders, and Missouri Wonders had the best flavor of all the beans.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yellow pear tomatoes starting. Not sure where the Mrs. got these from. I just plant 'em & care for them.  :rolleyes:

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My grandma grew a bean that was more maroon colored and she would make a type of refrigerator pickles out of them. I wish I could remember more.
« Last Edit: July 07/20/21, 09:10:31 PM by roony »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have Celine and Velour.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
It's funny with the cherry tomatoes, they're just a sampler right now while checking out the rest. I put 2 gold and 2 green zucchini in and I'm running otta counter top room. Have done lots of grilled rings and last night did a big batch of deep fried parmesan fries out of one, perty good. The cukes, another 3 quarts today of refrigerator pickles,  hafta enjoy picking while we can, it'll come to a screaming halt before we know it..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Have your bride make zookini cake!! :happy1: add to that body by Busch lite  :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I like it!! Bread fore sure,  good call on the sculpting cake!!  :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Have your bride make zookini cake!! :happy1: add to that body by Busch lite  :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

that is good stuff!!  add walnuts for Glenn!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

that is good stuff!!  add walnuts for Glenn!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:pouty: :tut: :tut: :tut:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked our first little yellow tomatoes tonight.  Tasted great!  Been eating cukes like crazy.  Love them too! 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea but you get all the good rain and cool weather................ :pouty: :pouty: :rotflmao:

picked a decent amount of green beans yesterday.....enough to blanche and put in the freezer. the cukes are starting to add up, just not enough to make some frig type cukes yet.  getting a few maters........need more for BLT'S though. this extreme heat is sure raising cane with my kalarabi.it just doesnt want to bulb out.  :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Gave our 1st zucchini of the season to a friend's Mom. She'll be 92 or 93 in August and had insisted that we grow her some. Had called ahead to make sure she was home. Delivered it just before noon & had a nice visit. There was a recipe she'd looked up online she was going to try. Reminds me of a little younger version of my Mom only more vocal. A blast to talk to nonetheless.  :cool: 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
she's starting to get sticky outside!!!!!!! :doah: went out and weeded, cut off dead and dieing foilage off some flowers and tomato plants. picked and cleaned some carrots, kalarabi and peppers for snackin!!!!!!! :happy1: num num.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Went out this morning and picked green beans. Ended up with 2 qts of pickled green beans. Taking a good look at everything and how pathetic my tomatoes and some other plants are I'm getting to the point if cashing it in. :confused: the kalarbi isn't going anywhere and the ones that do bulb out aren't getting bigger than a tennis ball and those are not near as tender as they should be. :confused: :pouty:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ouch!!  screwed up year...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Gee, I thought this was the gripe site for a minute there!  :rotflmao:

Sucks when Mother Nature doesn't smile on you glenn. Got some owies here and some successes too. Something recently mashed part of a row of 4 o'clocks by the well. I'm blaming tomcats fighting or turkeys. Could've been a fawn too I suppose. They're all over the place. I must've smacked the morning glories with a whiff of dicamba a few weeks back. The leaves are showing textbook symptoms. Not as impressive as some years as a result. Vine crops are going berserk. Scares me to think what'll happen if it decides to rain a couple inches. Some of the tomatoes look great, some look like they need more sunlight. We'll have plenty but wait'll next year when they move to their new home. July 5th planted string beans are smokin'. The ratty 1st planting still looks ratty but is in full bloom. They seem to compensate somewhat for a thin stand much like soybeans do. And the Rodney Dangerfield of vegetables, our zucchini? What can I say. They're zucchini. They're already getting ahead of us even as late planted as they were.  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: July 07/26/21, 02:08:50 PM by Dotch »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked 4 ice cream pails of green beans the last week. Purple bean are a few days away yet. Picked my first Saucy tomatoes today. Can make some fresh salsa. Too many yellow squash. Melons are looking good. tilled up a row of Honeyoe Strawberries today. Ready to plant some Cabot Strawberry daughter plants tomorrow. Have them rooting in pots and ready to live on their own. Can't eat the Broccoli fast enough.

Making some refrigerator pickles with Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green and Purple beans, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Red Onions, and Jalapeno Peppers .Ready to try them tomorrow.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee, I thought this was the gripe site for a minute there!  :rotflmao:

Sucks when Mother Nature doesn't smile on you glenn. Got some owies here and some successes too. Something recently mashed part of a row of 4 o'clocks by the well. I'm blaming tomcats fighting or turkeys. Could've been a fawn too I suppose. They're all over the place. I must've smacked the morning glories with a whiff of dicamba a few weeks back. The leaves are showing textbook symptoms. Not as impressive as some years as a result. Vine crops are going berserk. Scares me to think what'll happen if it decides to rain a couple inches. Some of the tomatoes look great, some look like they need more sunlight. We'll have plenty but wait'll next year when they move to their new home. July 5th planted string beans are smokin'. The ratty 1st planting still looks ratty but is in full bloom. They seem to compensate somewhat for a thin stand much like soybeans do. And the Rodney Dangerfield of vegetables, our zucchini? What can I say. They're zucchini. They're already getting ahead of us even as late planted as they were.  :rolleyes:

:mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:yea well iwas whining about da garden. garden topics go here.  :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: besides i dont get all the good rains like you and roony do!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :sleazy:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: There's a bad case of BER around these parts as the neighbor has it too. Anyone got a cure for Blossom End Rot? :confused: Great lookin tomatoes until you look at the bottom. I see the experts say it's usually do to a lack of calcium & was lookin for some pointers as to what you guys do to prevent it.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not sure where yer maters are growing Gunner but here's a recent U of MN release on it. I'll say this much, I haven't had much of an issue over the years & after soil testing I can see why. The pH in the garden where the tomatoes are planted is 7.6. Sometimes when we've been through a wet spell & it dries out but not much otherwise.

https://extension.umn.edu/news/blossom-end-rot