Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104665 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I just bought two big bunches.... :rolleyes:  :azn:

I usually get a pound package every week..  good eats!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Yup, gotta have my radishes and green tops every meal! Didn't Barry say they keep ya regular, or something?  :scratch:  :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looked at my Monday planted fall radishes last nite but nothing has happened yet. Ditto on the snap peas. Watered them in but kinda waiting to see what this weeked weather holds before getting too carried away and watering them again. Soil was still damp enough that the seeds should germinate. Was a little overzealous this spring that way & didn't rely heavily enough on my weather data.  :rolleyes:

Cucumbers are about to take over the ranch. Judging by all the flowers and little ones set on the vines, they'll overrun us sometime next week. The buttercup squash are cutting down on my lawn mowing. The vines have expanded far beyond expectations. Looks like a big green and yellow comforter spread on the sidehill, especially in the morning and evening. It hums too. Bees are going nuts in the canopy. If we get the kind of rain they're talking, no hail or an early frost, we should have abundant squash. If so, think I'll look for a pressure cooker and freeze a bunch. Love squash with Hope creamery butter, especially buttercups.  :cool:   
« Last Edit: August 08/06/21, 10:29:04 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
if I lived closer I'd help ya with the buttercups!!!    :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I could mail you some... :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I could mail you some... :rotflmao:

squash in the mail!!  yea right!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's been done... :whistling:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm sure!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope you like pureed squash.  :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's what I was thinking!!!  I'll just buy them up here!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The way I deal with most of these garden issues can be summed up with one word.  "VOLUME"  I know not everyone has the space but for me I try to plant enough of things I want so if the rabbits, deer, drought, hail, deer, bugs, too much or too little calcium, too much or too little water, too hot or too cold, too many weeds or just neglect don't kill them all I will have plenty for me.  Blossom end rot happens but I just pick those and whip them out in the trees and find a nice one.    :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I will be planting 2 test varieties of red radishes from NDSU this coming week. My Daikons are just coming up. Have to be careful to watch for those little pests. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Checked the radishes planted Monday nite and most rows are coming up like gangbusters. No sign of the snap peas yet but the .48" rain so far should help their cause. Was bummed the wind knocked most of the pears out of the trees last nite. I may bring a few in & try to ripen them but when I've done that in the past, the results have been unrewarding. Oh well, the sheep love them, ripe or not. There were a few Patten's left in that tree. Haven't had a chance to eat one of that variety yet (it's the pollinator for the Parker). They're larger & are supposed to be tasty. If the wind doesn't knock them out or the squirrels & birds don't get them, might get a chance.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sunflowers are blooming

Cannas are well over the 6 foot fence

Tomatoes are halfway up the cannas. The green stuff in front are weed in the onions

Pumpkins and gourds have pulled down a couple sunflowers.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Beautiful.  Nice shots of it all.

SO we are throwing our radishes out.  The wife cleaned some up and they are in water.  I popped a little one in my mouth and after chewing on it I had to spit it out.  I have never done that before.  They are brutal!  Too hot to eat.  Does the hot weather do that?  Nice looking red ones.  How about those white ones are they more mellow?  I would like to plant one more batch of better to eat ones. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
 I heard they get hotter when there is less rain...   some one will tell us.... 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I thought I had heard that too.  Haven't thrown them yet.  I will try one with Ranch Dressing. 

I just had 3 of them with Ranch Dressing.  Huge difference. 
« Last Edit: August 08/07/21, 04:10:09 PM by LPS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I just pulled the last of my white radishes, they are hot (according to the wife) I think they're fine. I'll plant another couple rows at the end of the month.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup mikey, seems like when it's hot & dry the radishes are hotter. Depends on variety too. Ranch dressing seems to cure all ills at least on the spring type radishes. Never tried it on those fall oriental radishes like China Rose but I doubt it would've helped. They were just plain nasty. Tongue was numb after trying to eat them.

Can row all the fall radishes now so that's a plus. Still no activity out of the snap peas yet. Been in the ground a week as of today so hope I didn't waste my time planting them. Forgot I have a few packets of greens left to put in. Have to schlep those in sometime this week. My busy social events calendar & the heat while picking veggies this past week didn't help.  :doah:

Actually the wife was helping every day at the Freeborn Co. Fair too, in the horticulture building. There was a couple who have been running it for years and she passed away a few weeks ago, which left things somewhat in turmoil. The wife & Auntie Mar Mar had been helping there for several years so they stepped it up even more this go round. Exhibits were down slightly but they really made it look nice & had a special tribute display to Sue, the lady who passed away.  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just picked the first batch of green beans we have ever grown.  I got a half colander of them.  Will be supper along with the Baby Backs I just put on the smomer. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
darn good eats!!   yellow beans too!!   :happy1:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
My green beans were done last week. But starting to pick purple beans. Made some with Cream of Cheddar soup. :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So a can of Cream of Cheddar and veggies?   I'm interested in that combo!  Don't think I have ever had Cream of Cheddar soup.  Must be good or you wouldn't be doing it.  LOL
« Last Edit: August 08/08/21, 05:44:50 PM by LPS »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good news on the snap pea front. In the past 24 hrs. they're starting to show up in force. Forgot I didn't water them in until Tuesday nite so that was probably a factor. By the looks of things within a few days they should fill in the rows. Then the race is on then to see what they do based on the weather. The maturities range from 56 - 72 days. Finners crossed... :azn: 
« Last Edit: August 08/09/21, 10:04:32 AM by Dotch »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
keep the bunnies away!!!!   :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So Ken, tell me more about the Cream of Cheddar soup thing.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
So a can of Cream of Cheddar and veggies?   I'm interested in that combo!  Don't think I have ever had Cream of Cheddar soup.  Must be good or you wouldn't be doing it.  LOL

Yup follow soup directions and add carrots, caul., brocc.,beans....etc. bake at 350 until vegies are done. My mistake....can says Cheddar Soup. Add 1/3 Cup milk. If it isn't thick enough add Parmesan.
« Last Edit: August 08/09/21, 11:10:46 AM by KEN W »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Everything is better with cheese on it.  I have it on my shopping list.   :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Everything is better with cheese on it.  I have it on my shopping list.   :happy1:

Cottage?  :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's what I have in the fridge now!!!!  good stuff!!!!   :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: