Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104653 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Me too, can't be without it! That and ALDI's great braunschweiger.....on buttered bread with a big slice o' white onion, and a pile of that cott cheese...the perfect lunch!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup had that too!!  good stuff!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Been going to get me a chunk of that too.  I like it with mayo and dill pickle slices on some nice bakery bread.  Or just plain slices as a snack.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thought I'd snap a shot of this before something happened to it, again. If you look real close at the leaves on the morning glory, you can see the effects (crinkled leaves) of the dicamba drift. New leaves are growing over the top of the damaged ones.

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is cool as heck. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I spotted a blue-striped smurf beetle on one leaf.  ;)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
And where there are smurf beetles there's bound to be smurfs. Does look like a place where small woodland creatures might hang out now you mention it... :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Here is some of my garden. Melons include 19 watermelons, 17 cantaloupe, 8 Galia, and 6 Santa Claus melons. Grandson picked 2 ripe cantaloupe this morning.

Lots of corn. 5 varieties. All are Augmented Supersweets. Started eating some last week.

8 varieties of tomatoes

3 kinds of potatoes, red beets, carrots, four 30 foot rows of strawberries.

« Last Edit: August 08/10/21, 03:33:50 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you have a road side stand Ken? 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
No.....a big family that likes fresh produce. And I like growing it. One of my daughters has a home on a lake here with a rather large yard. She told me to plant lots and also plant an orchard....We have 5 apple trees, 3 plums, and a pear. Plus asparagus, 3 kinds of raspberries, 20 blueberry bushes, 4 juneberry bushes, and a grape vine. Keeps me busy in my retirement.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great!  Good for you.  We are a very small yard deal but love the fresh veggies every year. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Great tip last year lps on freezing tomatoes.  I've been trying to stay ahead of it, only so much salsa I can make in a week.  Blt's weekly it seems but the 5 plants I have are going pretty strong. Thank God the zookini are slowing down,  the peppers of all kinds, think I'll let em turn red, seem kinda sweeter that way. Thinking on doing a row or 2 of radishes soon and maybe some lettuce..

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have 6 Roma plants and 2 grape plants.  That freezing the maters works great.  The skin comes right off when you thaw them.  No blanching or any of that.  I got the idea from JB.  Have done it ever since.  Now I want to see if I can do that with green beans. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here answering my own question.  Just read that you can cut the green beans in half after you cut the ends off.  Rinse them and let them dry on a towel.  Put them in zip locs or vac pack bags and freeze.  You can measure them if you want different size packs.   Done deal here!!!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Seeing you mention aromas  reminds no me. I used to grow Roma  green beans. They were a flat version of green string beans and had a very nice flavor. I miss my gardening days but don’t have the time to put up with the critters and Mother Nature.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I pulled my green beans today.  :pouty: they were a bust for the most part.

I think I seen Reb tracks by them alot  :sleazy: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Always thought beans were pretty easy. Just had to watch out for rust.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Our ratty @$$ string beans turned out way better than anticipated. Thought we'd be lucky to get  a few meals. A few gallons later & they're still cranking them out. Must've been the sasquatch pee... :doah:   

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny how they can turn around so quickly.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
cukes are perfect for refrigerated pickles at my place right now,you guyz make em?I don't can but these are great once a year and easy peasey to make,miss home made pickles my ole lady use to make.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Done the refrigerator pickles many times. Love them. I also used to freeze our green beans to when we had a garden. Just picked them and put in ziploc then into the freezer. Easy peasy and they were good.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
hmmm JB might give the string bean deal a whirl,sounds good for a mid winter snack.

neighbors sweet corn turned out great once again this year,he said his pivet irrigation he bitched about (cost) saved his crop,I'll be stashing zip locks of super sweet corn away this weekend,inbetween chores around my place I've been putting off,figured I would get around to some day.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny how they can turn around so quickly.
Yes, I thought my cukes were a bust after the deer ravaged them the second time. I built a half fast fence around them and now we have given more away than we have used, and we used a bunch.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
First batch of sweet corn in finished. Second batch will be ready mid next week. Third batch is tasseling right now. Ready in 20 days.

Have pick 3 ripe cantaloupe. Grandkids devoured them. More ready next week.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: since my garden has been less then impressive this year and the fact that it's Friday the 13th, I figured I'd plant radishes today. I mean how bad could it get. :rolleyes: :confused: :doofus:

If they don't turn out I'm blaming Dotch anyway. :surrender: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: since my garden has been less then impressive this year and the fact that it's Friday the 13th, I figured I'd plant radishes today. I mean how bad could it get. :rolleyes: :confused: :doofus:

That wasn't a Fed-ex truck in yer driveway...well, it was a delivery truck.  :evil:  He left ya a load of live skwirrels I been trapping all Summer.  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

That wasn't a Fed-ex truck in yer driveway...well, it was a delivery truck.  :evil:  He left ya a load of live skwirrels I been trapping all Summer.  :rotflmao:
no no.  :tut: send them out to HD's place. I'm going out there this fall to fill my freezer full with them.  :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Got up early this morning and went to see the Amish. Got my pickles in the crock, tomorrow the beets.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Question here.....Does anyone here grow peas now in the fall? I have tried a number of times and they always get moldy. Every time. Never happens with peas planted in the spring.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Question here.....Does anyone here grow peas now in the fall? I have tried a number of times and they always get moldy. Every time. Never happens with peas planted in the spring.
I do not. Actually I don't plant peas, for what I get out of them and how often we use peas not worth it to me. I just go to the frozen food section.