Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104707 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Question here.....Does anyone here grow peas now in the fall? I have tried a number of times and they always get moldy. Every time. Never happens with peas planted in the spring.

Not the regular peas, but snap peas. Getting the vines to flower & set pods has been the main challenge. Seems like planting them here the end of July offers our best opportunity for success. Wet soils and delaying planting into August won't give them enough time especially if it's cold, cloudy and damp much of the fall. They've been hit and miss but when they hit, it's oh so worth it.  :happy1:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Got up early this morning and went to see the Amish. Got my pickles in the crock, tomorrow the beets.

So what is that project?  We have too many cukes and some dill. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Both me and my grandkids like fresh peas raw. They eat most of them. I have to tell them to stop so I can get seeds for next year.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Both me and my grandkids like fresh peas raw. They eat most of them. I have to tell them to stop so I can get seeds for next year.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: kinda what i end up doing........never get enough to actually do anything with them.  :bonk: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Like your hunting and fishing huh glenn
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Got up early this morning and went to see the Amish. Got my pickles in the crock, tomorrow the beets.

So what is that project?  We have too many cukes and some dill.  Tell me about your crock pickle and beet program.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Glenn.....you just don't get no respect do you? :confused: :confused:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn.....you just don't get no respect do you? :confused: :confused:
:pouty: :pouty: nope!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

So what is that project?  We have too many cukes and some dill.
Those are dill pickles done in a crock. My F-I-L use to make them when he was alive. There are like the best.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like a fun project.  How long do they soak in the crock?

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Like  a week or more, might even be a month. I can't remember for sure. You have to be able to skim the stuff off of the top when it starts forming. Something I always wanted to make, but don't have time when working full time. He gave me the recipe. I could try and find it if you would like?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I also think it would be fun to try

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It does sound fun and we love pickles.  Can you use bigger ones doing that or best to use regular pickle sized ones?

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
He would use pickle size cukes when he did it. I will try and look for the recipe and send it to ya.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, there are several ways to use cukes, I made these yesterday. theone on the left is a creamy cuke that takes onion, half and half vinegar and sugar. the one on the right is a summer frig cuke and takes sugar vinegar onion and celery seed.

also look and the canning thread, those are bigger cukes in the 2 gallon jar. if your interested i can post these recipes in the recipe thread!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08/17/21, 08:03:49 AM by glenn57 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: The 1 on the left is how we usually have 'em.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: The 1 on the left is how we usually have 'em.
yea the one on the right is a sweet pickle!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup the one on the left is my fav too!!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did make some of them and need to do it again.  Maybe after it gets hot later on today.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I sent you an email Barry with the recipe for the Pickles done in the crock. If anyone else wants it send me a pm and I can email the .pdf file.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks JB.  Hope you get some rain in the next week or so.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks. I hope we all get a good amount of rain.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks. I hope we all get a good amount of rain.
i hope WE ALL DO!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY DOTCH............ quick question. how long does it usually take to get results back for soil samples sent in??? think i sent them in about a week now. it was sent to someplace in wisconsin. strafford rings a bell??????/

went down to the country store/coop with my dirt, they gave me a kit to fill out and a little bag to put the dirt in. had to fill out a form...... lawn or garden, what kind of stuff i planted. etc etc. they said they used to be able to send them in, but where told the interested party needs to now........ whatever.

you had the option of 2 tests.........one was 16.45 for apparently a basic test, the other one was 20.45 for a more complex text.....i did the 20.45 one.

anyway just curious as the the time table of when i can expect results.....................

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not familiar with that lab if the name is correct. Dairyland Lab over in WI that does a fair amount of testing. Some of the manure samples the applicators submit to us are tested there.

Results usually take about a week from the U via snail mail. I don't use them other than for an occasional double-check when I see some "funny" results and want a second opinion. From the lab we use, MVTL in New Ulm, it takes about 3 - 4 days via email. Basic test is what we run on most gardens. It's about $7/sample with my volume discount. Can be up to $20 with all the whistles and bells, most of which are relatively meaningless given all the unnecessary stuff people dump on their gardens. Of course, I butt jab smurfs if they submit samples through us... :rotflmao:

It comes down to interpretation of the results too. Some lab's low to medium test values are considered high by others. Some labs are in the business of helping dealerships sell fertilizer. Looking at the U's fertility rec's is usually a good place to start. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
If they comment they couldn't identify the little blue piles, except some type of strange fertilizer, ya know they're right on track!  :rotflmao:  :bonk:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Not familiar with that lab if the name is correct. Dairyland Lab over in WI that does a fair amount of testing. Some of the manure samples the applicators submit to us are tested there.

Results usually take about a week from the U via snail mail. I don't use them other than for an occasional double-check when I see some "funny" results and want a second opinion. From the lab we use, MVTL in New Ulm, it takes about 3 - 4 days via email. Basic test is what we run on most gardens. It's about $7/sample with my volume discount. Can be up to $20 with all the whistles and bells, most of which are relatively meaningless given all the unnecessary stuff people dump on their gardens. Of course, I butt jab smurfs if they submit samples through us... :rotflmao:

It comes down to interpretation of the results too. Some lab's low to medium test values are considered high by others. Some labs are in the business of helping dealerships sell fertilizer. Looking at the U's fertility rec's is usually a good place to start.
:happy1: :happy1: thanks. i'll anxiously await there reply...........and yea thats the name!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
boober referred to it in the morning thread, but yea looking like my cukes are petering out also. been a disappointing garden year for me for sure. only thing going like hot cakes are my jalepeno peppers. looks to me like by the end of the week a couple more mater plants will get yanked out.

thinking its going to be an early year for the garden being done!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our cukes are still going strong but our first try at pole beans didn't pan out too well.  At first they were really growing but then they slowed down a lot.  Beans are big on one end but small at the other end.  I wonder if I needed to water them more whilst it was so hot.  The maters did good next to them.  ???   Will try them again next year.  Maybe sprinkle some 10-10-10 near them.