Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104697 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I cheated this year, after the first round of 10-10-10 the plants got liquid miracle grow through out summer.  Not sure if that was it but everything did really well this year, except the pole beans.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Need to finish picking the last of the 1st string bean planting, then toss the plants over the fence to the sheep to establish some greens. For as ratty as they looked early on, the plants really produced well. Sheep are livin' high off the hog lately. Devouring lots of sweet corn husks & cobs, overripe cukes and string beans plus any weeds that pi$$ me off. They're not starvin' that's for sure. Weeded the snap peas & winter radishes thorougly yesterday. Lots of waterhemp & purslane in places. Getting it out of the way now usually ensures it'll stay clean the rest of the fall. Water them tonite. Cukes are still at it. Almost hate to see how many there are still out there. Not going to water them. They're on their own.  :rolleyes:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Did a walkabout this a.m. & snapped a pic of the morning glories by the well complete with the four o'clocks that filled in behind them. Hummingbirds are going nuts out there! Noticed a new color pattern in one four o'clock plant, variegated white colored blooms. Oddly enough, there are solid colored pink and white flowers on the same plant. :scratch: Kinda unique and pretty at the same time. Will try to remember to save the seed from that plant. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I cheated this year, after the first round of 10-10-10 the plants got liquid miracle grow through out summer.  Not sure if that was it but everything did really well this year, except the pole beans.
i did the same thing boober........... i used more epsom salt on the maters though!!!!!!!! however i'm convinced my grass clippings and its residue where my issues!!!!!!!

my neighbor and i where talking yesterday, no not that idiot, the other neighbor,  he has a friend who's garden didnt do well at all...........had a soil test done and said they had to much nitrogen.........from fish gutz!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Green beans are just about done, but we got a ton of the little buggers. Gave a bunch away. Cukes and Zucchini are still going good. Kolrabie didn't do well this year. I have a ton of green mators, only ate one "orange" one so far.  :puke:
Beets are still doing good, eating a meal once a week. Carrots are good too.
Gonna put a couple rows of radish in soon.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Opted not to pull the beans yesterday. Looks like one more picking still on the vines. Picked 2 grocery bags full in the afternoon. Late planting is flowering like mad so will be a few days on that. Sheep don't care. They devoured a couple 5 gallon buckets of overgrown cukes I tossed over the fence. I hauled a couple more buckets worth that were decent into the house. Amazing how the cucumber vines bounced back this morning after relieving them of all those cukes. After chores, I had a small opened sleeve of osmocote so fertilized the radishes with that & some urea, then watered it in. This garden is whuppin' my @$$!  :shocked:
« Last Edit: August 08/23/21, 11:24:22 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone recognize or know what variety of tomato this is??? My son got them from a friend of his and gave them to me. Man are they ever tasty. Really sweet

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Is that their color when ripe?  :scratch: Looks kinda like one of the larger grape tomato varieties we grew a few years ago only they were red when ripe.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I grew a lot of different grape 'maters....they look like Atomic Grape, I'm thinking they were called. Haveta look 'em up.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that their color when ripe?  :scratch: Looks kinda like one of the larger grape tomato varieties we grew a few years ago only they were red when ripe.
Yea they are ripe. Like I said pretty meaty and really sweet.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, does this look like 'em to ya? or are these bigger?  It's those Atomic Grape 'maters that I had seen before, but I never ate one. Could it be these?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Kind of, but the ones I have don't have that many different colors??? What throws me off is there kinda shaped like a Roma, but taste 10 times better.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So many varieties of 'maters out there. My favorite little 'mater are the grape ones, supersweet 100, and midnite snacker. I always had WAY too many of 'em , though, gave a ton away to folks!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I had my son ask the couple he got them from, they said there called tiger tomatoes. If I want to grow them either I order them on line or not devour them and save the seeds . Oh joy  :rotflmao:.

Actually called a lucky tiger tomato.
« Last Edit: August 08/24/21, 04:23:55 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn experienced some issues after consuming a large quantity of his Tiger tomatoes.... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/24/21, 04:55:44 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: putz!! :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well! Of all the gall!   :mooning:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
pulled the cukes and 5 of 12 green pepper plants today!!!!!!!!!!  :doah: :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cukes are still hammering here. A former employee came out and we picked another bushel plus another shopping bag full of string beans. It'll be the last picking on the 1st bean planting. 2nd planting of string beans is starting to get cranked up. Picked a meal's worth off the one variety. Ronda's a breast cancer survivor and likes getting healthy, sourced food. Great friend, absolute sweetheart and fun to visit with her tonite over a couple G&T's.  :happy1:

Offline weareacouple

• Outdoorsman
Cukes are still hammering here. A former employee came out and we picked another bushel plus another shopping bag full of string beans. It'll be the last picking on the 1st bean planting. 2nd planting of string beans is starting to get cranked up. Picked a meal's worth off the one variety. Ronda's a breast cancer survivor and likes getting healthy, sourced food. Great friend, absolute sweetheart and fun to visit with her tonite over a couple G&T's.  :happy1:
wish Ronda well from us

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ya know.......you could at least mail me something worth while for a change  :pouty: :pouty: like some of them cukes!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
pulled the cukes and 5 of 12 green pepper plants today!!!!!!!!!!  :doah: :pouty:

Didn't  tske you for such a quitter. As rough as my cukes and California Wonders looked earlier, they really came around with some TLC. I did have a Much Nacho pepper that just up and died for some reason.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Didn't  tske you for such a quitter. As rough as my cukes and California Wonders looked earlier, they really came around with some TLC. I did have a Much Nacho pepper that just up and died for some reason.
usually i'm not. just beem such a disappointing year garden wise. being retired i spent more time then ever before babying the  garden with all the TLC i had.  :embarrassed: :doah: i could water in the evening then in the morning i'd pull carrots and kalarabi and the ground around it was like i never watered. and i dumped enough water around the plants till it puddled.

the cukes were not getting bigger, they were turning a bit yellow, then they taste bitter. and no others where forming on the plant. the green peppers....didnt get very big, they would start getting rotten on the bottom and the ones i pulled had no peppers left on them.

usually i nurse that stuff till it freezes!!!!!!

even my carrots arent getting very big, the kalarbi, i havent had one yet that was bigger then a tenis ball!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And some "master gardner" here in town wrote this has been the BEST YEAR EVER for tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers!!! Say what??!! With the drought and all....I can see it for the peppers, but not the others..

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
That might be because you always got all the rain over that way!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:sleazy: ;) ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

We wouldn't be in a severe drought with dried up yards and fields if that were true.
Even the farm trucks fulla corn and veggies are few and far between down here. That's a rarity.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Radar makes it look like more rain in Rochester. I know first hand it rained in Bugtussle because I just came from there. The dust is still flying on my road.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Getting the rain the last few days here...too little, too late? Should help the drought, at least, and the gardens some. Lotsa thunder and lighning right now, fair rain. The next three days are supposed to be heavy rains; maybe flash flooding....so say the wedder morjits. When it rains, it pours.  :rolleyes:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone seen the "melons" yet?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: