Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104687 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
This is the wasp traps I use. Been seeing alot of moths in them lately.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57, I don't really know the brand or type. My wife picks out the seed and plants them in pots that I drag in and out for a month before transplanting them in the garden.  Never ate one. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked another shopping bag full of string beans tonite then turned around and picked another couple 5 gallon bucket of cukes, ~half of which went over the fence to the sheep. So much for the cukes slowing down. Still plenty of little ones out there yet too.  :confused: Some of the early August planted radishes are getting nice bulbs under them. Need to be thinned & weeded in places so curious to see how they're coming. The earliest snap pea variety looks like it's getting some flower buds. Finners crossed. Nummy!  :hubba: The fall greens are starting to poke thru here and there. I wanna take a page out of Barry's book and grow some lettuce on the patio railing. Once the leaves fall there's a lot of nice sunshine to be had and the planter(s) could easily be brought inside until the inevitable of course. The rate it's been going the past several years that could be early December. We've had garden tomatoes at Thanksgiving time, why not fresh salad?  :happy1:
« Last Edit: September 09/01/21, 08:51:15 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds great Dotch! With the timely rains you've gotten all summer I wouldn't expect less.
How the heck many hills of cukes did ya have there anyway?
« Last Edit: September 09/02/21, 10:47:30 AM by roony »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There are 15 hills of cukes. After going cuke-less a couple years back, I promised myself I'd never let that happen again. Was pretty sure they wouldn't all make it especially given the bunny, striped gopher and wild turkey population. Even the year old seed I planted grew! Between all the stretching, hauling buckets and whipping overripe cukes over the fence, I get good exercise. I have more cukes than I know what to do with and I can share with those less fortunate. Found out over the weekend Auntie Mar Mar has been funneling some of what I've given her to her 99 year old neighbor guy. She told me how much he has enjoyed the fresh garden raised vegetables. Can't ask for more than that. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Perfect!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Harvested the first batch of fall radishes last nite. Didn't disappoint. Had the typical fall sweetness to them along with the radish bite. Some don't care for the bite but I guess if I wanted a radish without any bite, I'd eat a turnip or a rutabeggar! 🤔 Noticed that sweetness with most of the veggies so far this fall including the string beans and the maters. The cukes to a lesser extent perhaps but with enough ranch for dipping, I really don't care. 👍

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well, the garden is starting to wind down. i did plant some radishes again and am pleasantly surprised they are doing ok!!!!!!

only thing left is the kalarabi..there finally turning out to be something, carrots will be toast by midweek. pulled the jalepenos, got them sticking outta me ears!!!!! few green peppers and the tomatoes. there taking forever to ripen lately. i see a good batch of pickled green maters in my future!!!!!! :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Cukes are done here, its been a great year for them. The tomatoes and peppers are doing well, I hope the frost holds off for a while. I planted two hills of giant pumpkins for the grandkids, I'm guessing one of them is close to 200 lbs.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a big pumpkin. :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
holy crap Roony I'd say that's a biggins.

Wadda feed that pumpkin plant, wrens!!! :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Danged right! Should make a great Glenn  Jack-O-lantern!   :azn:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked another gallon bag of Reb-r-roo's faves, the string beans tonite. Then I decided to look at the radishes. Holy hookshot, Batman! They changed in the past week. Wound up with a couple Cool Whip containers and 2 margarine tubs full. Sweet but with a nice burn to them. With some crushed red pepper cheese curds added to the mix, I will stink tomorrow. 🤭 Oh ya, the sheep love the radish tops. Betting they will stink tomorrow too! 🐑

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They look happy!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They look happy!

Wait 'til they find out they're on the menu later.... :doah:   :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya Barry, they're usually happy when there's stuff to eat getting tossed over the fence. I'd thrown some radishes that had bolted in their pasture last nite and they made a beeline this a.m. to get after them. We'll have pumpkins again this year to feed them later on. The ewes in the picture won't wind up in our freezer but some of their offspring might if they haven't already. 🥩 😋
« Last Edit: September 09/15/21, 01:03:41 PM by Dotch »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do they eat the actual radishes?

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They will altho they only get the ones that are messed up too much for us to eat. They like other brassicas such as turnips, rutabagas & kohlrabi too.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They will altho they only get the ones that are messed up too much for us to eat. They like other brassicas such as turnips, rutabagas & kohlrabi too.  :happy1:

That's the best thing to do with those things, toss 'em to the sheep. Garnish with green beans.   ;)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
been cutting back on carbs so instead of pasta I'm going to try green beans in my next hot dish!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They are a staple here.  Go with everything. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
been cutting back on carbs so instead of pasta I'm going to try green beans in my next hot dish!!!

Hey, I'll mail you some! 📫

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Hey, I'll mail you some! 📫

I wish I could get some from you!!  they are so good fresh!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: sure Mikey gets fresh green beans in the mail..... I get fresh sheep dung!!!🥴 :pouty: :banghead: :cheerleader: or silly Rona masks.  :confused:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: sure Mikey gets fresh green beans in the mail..... I get fresh sheep dung!!!🥴 :pouty: :banghead: :cheerleader: or silly Rona masks.  :confused:

see it pays to be nice!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :laughroll:  :party3:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Aw quitcher whinin', ya little blue pipsqueak or I'll mail ya something to really whine about as my Dad was fond of saying... :rolleyes:  :rotflmao:

String beans keep a long time in the crisper too. I need to attempt to freeze some of those tonite. Been many moons since I last did that. Found the blancher thingy, now just need to be careful so I don't run out of ice to make G&T's!🍸

Running my errands, I stopped at FF and chanelled my inner Barry and picked up some black seeded simpson lettuce along with mesclun mix. Can entertain thoughts of putting a planter on the porch railing for fresh greens. Now just so long as I don't start building fishing tackle or worse, making pillows in my basement like his close relative...🛏

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Very funny!@#$%

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
You can pick your friends but ya can't pick your relatives.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You can pick yer nose too.