Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Pickled Green Tomato Recipe  (Read 2691 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
OK by popular demand....... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: this is the recipe i got, but i tweeked it!!!! :happy1:

5 lbs green tomatoes
3 1/2 cups vinegar
3 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup canning/pickling salt
6 garlic cloves.......1 in each jar
dill seed......2 tsp per jar or fresh dill heads////////1 head per jar

combine vinegar, water and salt in large pot. bring to boil and keep hot while packing jars.
i doubled this brine and it was good for 7 qts.

OK....this is where i tweeked...........i didnt weigh of measure the tomatoes, i just used them till gone.
i used the dill head cause i grow it. i also addeed onion slices cause i love onions. i also dont skimp on the garlic onion or dill as i usually add at least 4 garlic to each jar. not the minced either.

i pack the jars with all the goodies, add the liquid solution, leaving 1/4 inch headspace on top. wipe rims and seal. i thin hot bath them for no more then 10 minutes, enough that the jar seals. i also like letting them sit for a good month to let it all meld before trying.

if you like a bite to your goodies..........i took a jalepeno pepper, sliced it in half and added it to the tomatoes!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 05/30/21, 09:14:44 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for posting the recipe Glenn. I’ve been wanting to try it. Another thing I’m going to try this year is pickled Brussel sprout. I’m going to try this recipe.
https://www.mrfood.com/Vegetables/pickled-brussels-sprouts-123?ss=78888&cs=15884_1622385699_8ac836c13ce1f225be3e7b153a28725d

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One thing I did notice with the tomatoes, you can use some that are just starting to turn a real little bit red but those didn't stay as firm as the totally all green ones.

Just an observation.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So do you slice the tomatoes Glenn?  We planted the larger size of Roma's this year.  That's what I would use. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS,  depends on the size of the tomato. If it's small, I cut in half, if there bigger I quarter.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the one thing i am going to advise....... i think this is something your gonna like or definetly not. when i first tried these i was pretty unsure if i'd care for them. then when i did my own thing  with the reciepe....man are they good. i have had 10 people try them....2 didnt care for them.

i made 20 qts last fall........i'm down to 3 qts and in ration mode!!!!! :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
into the last one here too!!!   good stuff!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like a blue ribbon recipe,should work for pickles as well,dill weed head really add's great flavor as well as the extra garlic cloves,thanx for sharing glenn.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like a blue ribbon recipe,should work for pickles as well,dill weed head really add's great flavor as well as the extra garlic cloves,thanx for sharing glenn.
yea the brine solution ingredients are the same, think a little different in portions. the dill. garlic and onions are the same i put in pickles!!!!!!!