Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cooking ?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I went to the grocery store this morning in hopes to score a couple lobster tails for Valentine's dinner... but they were sold out.... So, I picked up some Scallops, shrimp & crap cakes.

Question I have, is how to cook the Scallops.

Just pan fry in butter?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
sorry bud have no idea.......never made them. scallops a form of fish???????

will be interesting to see what others say..
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Doesn't take long HD.  They get tough if overdone 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Doesn't take long HD.  They get tough if overdone
mayhaps he could souzy boily them!!!!! :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
One thing about scallops is they're full of moisture.  I like to cover them with paper towels to draw some out before frying in butter. Try a higher heat to put a little crisp on em.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
One of my favorite seafoods, actually like 'em better than lobster. Had some at Red Lobster last Summer but those weren't the big sea scallops like you have pictured. :scratch: Not sure, but I think those were done in the oven but I do know that LPS is right, they get rubbery if they're overdone.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS and Bobber are right on...  another is bacon wrapped and grilled or pan fried..  and yes they can get chewy...  like fish cook just past pink...  good luck and enjoy!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
I',m with Mike on this one. Wrap the buggers in bacon. That's the only way we have them. Besides isn't everything better when wrapped in bacon? Good luck and enjoy. :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup, I did some a couple years ago on the Weber wrapped in bacon. Yum!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder what frying in bacon grease would do.. :scratch: might try that next time.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
All I know is that when you watch the Gordon Ramsey cooking shows, he is always yelling a the rookie chefs for f-ing them up.

I'd google a couple of youtube vids to see how it is done.

Pan seared seems to be the consensus prep.  Tried to do them once and they came out ok.

Good luck.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I went to the grocery store this morning in hopes to score a couple lobster tails for Valentine's dinner... but they were sold out.... So, I picked up some Scallops, shrimp & crap cakes.

Question I have, is how to cook the Scallops.

Just pan fry in butter?
Yes, pan fry with some garlic butter about 3-5mins a side or brown 1/4 way up each side.  Little tip: Their frozen with a ton of water. Once thawed out before cooking. Pat them down with some paper towels to get out as much water as you can. Or they turn out like mush when cooking.  :happy1:
I'm doing Blackened Cod steaks, tonight for my honey!  :happy1:

Didn't see Bobberineyes post above about the moisture before posting but we agree on that!  ;)

"How do you know if scallops are wet or dry?
If you are unsure whether your scallops are wet or dry, conduct this quick test: Place 1 scallop on a paper towel-lined, microwave-safe plate and microwave on high power for 15 seconds. If the scallop is “dry,” it will exude very little water. If it is “wet,” there will be a sizable ring of moisture on the paper towel"

« Last Edit: February 02/14/21, 03:10:20 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice looking scallops there Leech!   

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice looking scallops there Leech!

Well I have made some that looked like that. But that was a file picture for an example.
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Gotta agree,love seared scallops,as stated wrapped in bacon seared on the grill.

didn't do much for my valentine gal,she wanted to go to a place where they prepared the food in front of you,took her to subway....didn't go well as I ended up on the couch with my pup.

To cold to fire up the grill but I bet bacon wrapped scallops in the broiler would work just fine,drizzel some garlic butter.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny Snow.  LOL  Subway is classy. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
did ya get the double meat too???   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!