Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: GPS question  (Read 6779 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
or opinion. so with the perchapalooza coming up i dug out my handheld Lowrance Expedition GPS thingy. i havent used it in years and if i remember right i couldnt keep it from going dark in short order.

also i took the batteries out  and one of the prongs is broke that connects the battery.

SOOO........ my question is, would it be worth trying to send in to fix it and see if they can tune it up, or toss it and get a different one. i googled it and think there around a hundred bucks. i also have a lake chip, lakemaster , pro maps in it. is that worth keeping or will that be outdated> its got to be 20-25 years old.

please understand, i suck at electronics and i need something pretty easy and simple to use.this seemed to do me just fine.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
If you have a smart phone, I'd be tempted to get a GPS fishing app and use that instead.

I read smart phones can be accurate to around 16 feet, but I couldn't recommend any particular app.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
So, are you just trying to find the lake or do you want to see structure? If you want contours and depths you will need something with a chip. If you find something that uses the same chip as Humminbird I can send you a chip to use.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I have 2 older garmin H2O.  Only 1 has a lake master chip the other one has no chip  but needs one.  I'll bring it up next weekend.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
If I'm going to have a handheld GPS I want a chip to find contours etc.

I appreciate the offer, and would have to look into hummingbird for ease of use. I have no preference of brand as long as it's easy to use and understand. I'm going to st cloud today and may window shop at Scheels.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
a big thing with those old lowrance H2os is if yu dont turn them on once a month the have a high probability of loosing thier satteligjt tracking capability. ive 2 of them. and can get them cheap. used bit in good condition.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Been  a few years since using my lowrance hunt,my unit lost the map reader,at the time lake master was the mac daddy and only compatable with lowrance,but these days "the bird is the word" or use to be,I contacted lowrance about refurbishing my hunt they wanted $200 so I passed,best down load option for our phones for mapping data was a navionics app,not as detailed as lake master at the time but maybe better now? boar might be time to upgrade if you need to use a gps,if its been 20 years maybe save your money .

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
nope im good, long as my h20 tracks satilight. structure  dont change. depth dose. dont need depth if you have tje structire
78.50"

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a Interphase LORAN unit I’d let go for a few hundred bucks. A comes with an 8 ft whip antenna. Let me know Glenn.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Wa, wahhhhh...

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
werd yu get a cartoon of glenn and lee
78.50"

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a Interphase LORAN unit I’d let go for a few hundred bucks. A comes with an 8 ft whip antenna. Let me know Glenn.
Um, when was the last time you used that?

"Loran-C was made obsolete by GPS and discontinued by the United States and Canada in 2010, as was the trial of an enhanced Loran service (eLoran) that was accurate within 65 feet"
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
werd yu get a cartoon of glenn and lee

Where do YOU get y'er pitchers of fishin' womens?  :bonk:

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

"Loran-C was made obsolete by GPS and discontinued by the United States and Canada in 2010, as was the trial of an enhanced Loran service (eLoran) that was accurate within 65 feet"

I used it on Mille Lac years ago, I think it was about 1990. If I can remember, you had to have at least 3 antenna tower to get your coordinates, and it was very susceptible to weather interference, but it did work well when it worked.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I got a 40 year old hummingbird paper graph depthfinder I could sell ya for $150 Smurfy!
« Last Edit: March 03/03/21, 01:23:03 PM by roony »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Roony won't do for me hard water season.

I just left Scheels, only thing they carry is Garmin.

Looked at locators for the boat. Would like to upgrade to a depth finder with lake chip but didn't see much. Buddy has a bird helix 5. Didn't see one and about all I want.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

Brings back memories loran and a compass on mille lacs,my how things change.

I used it on Mille Lac years ago, I think it was about 1990. If I can remember, you had to have at least 3 antenna tower to get your coordinates, and it was very susceptible to weather interference, but it did work well when it worked.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I got a 40 year old hummingbird paper graph depthfinder I could sell ya for $150 Smurfy!

Well now that he's retired he may not be in to doing much Paperwork anymore!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
If you are going to buy a hand held GPS Glenn get  a Garmin. There is a reason that is all that Scheels carries. IF you hardly use a GPS just get the Navonics app for your phone. I think it is only $10. All depends on how much you will use it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought I read it or heard ( maybe on here) that Garmin owns all the mapping charts,  even for Aviation,  that's what I would do also. Navionics is the best mobile option but it sure is different than what a chip on a good locator shows,  alot more detail on the chip.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I use Navionics on my phone for hard water. Just be careful when your dropping pins as to who can view them, otherwise you'll have every Tom, Dick and Harry on your fishing spot.

Got a Hummingbird on the boat for summer........(with a chip)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

I got one of those Coop! It's in the barn on a shelf....If ya find a couple a folks that want one, let me know.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I use Navionics on my phone for hard water. Just be careful when your dropping pins as to who can view them, otherwise you'll have every Tom, Dick and Harry on your fishing spot.

Got a Hummingbird on the boat for summer........(with a chip)

Even if you don't have an Navionics app. You can do a Drop-pin with Goggle map and save a spot.   :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
If you are going to buy a hand held GPS Glenn get  a Garmin. There is a reason that is all that Scheels carries. IF you hardly use a GPS just get the Navonics app for your phone. I think it is only $10. All depends on how much you will use it.
I won't use it alot. Is that per year??? I looked at fleet farm too that's all they had. So if I go Garmin and without breaking the bank what do you suggest. I don't want to do this again and it has to be something a dummy can operate. :rotflmao:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Get the cheapest unit that takes a chip. Call me and i'll send you a chip to use for the Perch thingy. Then you can wait to find a used chip somebody is selling.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Get the cheapest unit that takes a chip. Call me and i'll send you a chip to use for the Perch thingy. Then you can wait to find a used chip somebody is selling.
not in that big of a hurry dutchy......but really.........thanks a ton for the offer!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

i know boober has something on his phone and dakids is bringing one.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't been up their for 20 years. We use to just drill a lot of holes and fish from one hole to another. Sometimes it took a bit to find them but we always had plenty to stink up the frying pan.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had one of those for 14 years and amazingly it still works. Those are notorious for losing the ability to lock onto satellites. But Glenn may already have the chip for it if he had the Expedition model Lowrance. Otherwise the Navonics phone app is a one time fee as far as I know.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'll bring mine up to winnie and we will have a look see. :happy1: i'm having second thoughts about getting a new one.....if i get a new locator for the boat with the chip.

been throwing out hints to the wifey.......she hasnt shut me down............. :nerd:

this retirement thing is costing me money!!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: March 03/04/21, 08:45:37 AM by glenn57 »