Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Varmint guns, etc.  (Read 8026 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
As retirement approaches and we cut back on sheep numbers, I may have more time in the winter months. Been thinking about what might be nice to add to my arsenal. After bludgeoning an opossum and the coyotes got a little too close for comfort last night, well, let's just say it pissed me off, again. 30 years ago there were no coyotes here. Now they're like flies. Buying a sled for next winter and adding another weapon of mass destruction to hunt varmints might be something to consider. More of a scattergun guy but I also have a 17 cal, a couple .22's, a .223, and looks like I inherited my Dad's 1893 Marlin 30-30. Thinking a .243 might be a nice addition. Other ideas since I know no one here likes to talk about guns... :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd also consider .22-250 and .223 Remington for varmints and vermin.  (Ooops.  I see you already have a .223.  :embarrassed:)

But if you might also like to use it on deer, yes, the .243.

For me it would depend on finding gun I like, at a price I'm willing to pay, in a caliber that will do the job.
« Last Edit: March 03/03/21, 12:34:02 PM by Steve-o »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Is this gonna be used before or after G&T's. :rotflmao: I'd recommend a sling shot. :nerd: :nerd:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey dotch we can never have enough fire power these days,like vehicles we all have opinions on what works for us....whatever you decide on make sure you can get a ammo supply,slim pickens these days.

I hunt varmits with my AR.223...my buddy had a tack driver 22-250 out to 500yds,good optics are a must,enter trijicon here as an example you pay for good glass.

yotes are staking out territory right now,even tho minnesota doesn't allow night hunting for varmits I suspect you can get a permit because of your trade raising sheep,a great tool for varmits today is a quality ecaller,this time of year with active coyotes in your area use a challenge call,you'll have em running right up to ya at night,shot plenty at night in western states with my 12ga/#4 copper plated buck but iffin you want something to reach out ^^^ works .243 also but a litte much.another thought is the 6.5 creedmore,I made 800 shots last summer on p-dogs ,very versitile weapon from 55gr to 145gr ammo,from small critters to big game but your 12ga at night will get the job done,hell you could sit in your barn with the door cracked,load your 12ga with buck shot put the ecaller way out away from the building as they have a 200yd remote range,while sipping on a G.T. warm and comfy.

just a few thoughts.

Are you near Ahlmans gun shop? good place to check out possibilties south of the metro.

this is the results of a night hunt in nebraska with a 12ga took out the whole family...All off 4 sections 1 pig farm with cattle.

« Last Edit: March 03/03/21, 01:19:22 PM by snow1 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My next one will be a 6.5 Grendel
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

all new HD or do you plan on using a AR platform or bolt action? curious,5.56 cartridge
« Last Edit: March 03/03/21, 02:02:35 PM by snow1 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Interesting commentary and it's fun to consider the pro's & con's. While I do my fair share of tippling after work, I don't mix it with firearms. After the firearms are unloaded & put away it's fine. Have seen and heard of too many bad things happening.

Still have a few #4 buck shells left from the good old days when lead was still allowed over field dekes snow1. Haven't seen any for a while so nice to know it's still available. It's my stray dog load if they get aggressive with me or the sheep. Not far from Ahlman's. Haven't been there for a long time. People who have lately tell me it's been a zoo with Sleepy Joe at the helm. He told us to just go buy shotguns, right?  :rotflmao:

I have closing in on a couple grand worth of Cabela's points if that makes any difference. I am a patient man generally speaking. Just haven't been able to decide what direction to go. And no glenn, I won't mail them to you!  :tongue: :rotflmao:

Might've posted this clip before but I suppose I could just borrow this gun from my brother for a while. Might split the coyotes in two but that wouldn't bother me.  :happy1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMl6FjWkfsM 
« Last Edit: March 03/03/21, 03:21:37 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
About the only thing you won't mail me to I suppose. :pouty: :confused: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

all new HD or do you plan on using a AR platform or bolt action? curious,5.56 cartridge

All new build. Ammo is readily available, because not many have one. It will be an un-serialized AR. Unfinished components are already purchased. When sleepy Joe comes sniffing around, he'll have to look awful hard.... (It's a perk working at a machine shop)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
About the only thing you won't mail me to I suppose. :pouty: :confused: :rotflmao:

You got that right, buster!  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :pouty: :pouty: :confused:

better burn them points up or they;ll be about as good as your hillary tp!!!!!!! :mooning: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

All new build. Ammo is readily available, because not many have one. It will be an un-serialized AR. Unfinished components are already purchased. When sleepy Joe comes sniffing around, he'll have to look awful hard.... (It's a perk working at a machine shop)

Nice HD  might as well tool up a suppressor while your at it as that baby will bark loud,please post a pick once completed,I could use the fix.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

That is what I would like to do also. But I am afraid they would not let me do it here at work. That was one nice thing when I won't for a smaller shop. I still need to find me my 80% components.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
HD fyi stopped at our local sport shop this morning to pick up a few items for hunting this weekend,friend owns the shop,checked on .223 ammo slim pickens he said if I needed extra capacity mags get em now both 20 and 30 round mag's will be history soon.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
HD fyi stopped at our local sport shop this morning to pick up a few items for hunting this weekend,friend owns the shop,checked on .223 ammo slim pickens he said if I needed extra capacity mags get em now both 20 and 30 round mag's will be history soon.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Oh.... I'm WELL stocked.
The only thing I'm low on is 45-70....and I don't want to pay $4 a shell

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ha.......when i stopped at scheels yesterday i went to the ammo dept. the gal was stocking shelves of what she had,,,,there were 3-4 guys there acting like vultures waiting to see what she was going to put on the shelf next!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

same at FF.......nothing worth while on shelves but 3-4 guys at the service counter....like at a drive up window looking to gobble up anything.

all i would like is a box or 2 of 30-06 springfield 180 grains!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :banghead: :banghead: :pouty: :pouty:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL dotch last thing ya want is being surrounded and your mag run's empty,those coyotes are crafty....

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL dotch last thing ya want is being surrounded and your mag run's empty,those coyotes are crafty....

Don't you mean wiley?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Don't you mean wiley?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Shot my new 9mm yesterday at 12 yards. Here’s the second two clips. At a buck a round this was enough.......for now.
 :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
close enough grouping,thought about a lazer site? curious.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
close enough grouping,thought about a lazer site? curious.
Need to get used to this trigger. Way different than any other I have. Another couple hundred rounds first to see if I get tighter.
mm

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Since I was curious about night hunting coyotes in MN, decided to do some reading.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO we can use a hand held light to shoot coyotes and fox with a shotgun.  I kind of thought that too. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Since I was curious about night hunting coyotes in MN, decided to do some reading.

Also, a point to highlight....They changed the restrictions on night vision and inferred vision scopes. A few years ago, you couldn't use a night vision scope to hunt yotes....

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
minnesota the state we can't do anything laws....

never used a light but usually have night vision along,with snow on the ground,clear skies a full moon is all that's needed,most often you'll see the dogs coming from 100yds out if your paying attention,out in the open the older smart dogs will circle down wind from where they are attracted to by the call to get a whiff.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
mark looking at your clips,looks like your shooting a 1911 ? what make?

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow, it's a S&W MP9. I got it along with four 8 round clips, one 7 round clip and a "bug out" bag all for $440.00 out the door. I looked at FF and the 8 round clips alone are $43.95 EACH. I wasn't looking to buy a pistol, but when I seen this I about broke my arm getting the wallet out. Now just need to get some ammo for it. The bad. I'm left handed and its kind of a pain for me to work the safe, eject the mag and release the slide. I'm still waiting on a Walther PPQ to show up. This will be the back-up until then.

P.S.The wife picked it up and said she'd like to try shooting it. This could get expensive. :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman