Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: retired guys question  (Read 3674 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i currently have health, vision and dental coverage until the last day of june this year, i am also set up for health Ins through the Union till i turn 65. july 1 however i need to pay for it with some monthly stipend through the Union hall thats been set up. my wife will then need both part A and B under SS/medicare and we are working on that. 

my question is for the retired guys, what are you doing for vision and dental.  i will have to go and shop for it as the Union Plan or SS/medicare doesnt cover those 2 as i understand it???

is vision and or dental worth the premiums??? ii realize you do need to use it and i believe dental is one of those things that may require a length of time to accure more coverage.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Following.
My wife will be retiring next Aug, then I will be in May of 2022. So we will be going through all this stuff as well. She's already getting a bunch of scam stuff stating they are the US Goverment and she needs to sign up with them for everything!  :doah:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
zip on both here...  just pay as I go..  didn't like the premiums at all
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
to spendy???

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I took Humana as a supplement to my Medicare.  I also am under my wife's insurance for Dental. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
to spendy???

that I have only needed basics for both..  so I pay as I go...  dental is about 6 to 7 hundred a year and my glasses have been the same for many years too...  so no cost there..

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a UHC Medicare Advantage plan through AARP. It just paid 1/2 my bill,~ $200, for my exam & new glasses in November which it will do every 2 years. It saves me ~ $150/year on my 2 visits to the dentist too & he's out of their network. Best of all it only costs me the $15 a year it costs to belong to AARP as it has a $0 premium. AARP Medicare Advantage Choice(PPO) is what it is actually called. It may not fit your needs as the deductible/out of pocket can be a bit high on some elective surgeries but it works for me. They have Medicare Supplements too. :scratch: Here's a start : https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
We signed up for a Medicare Advantage plan in November. Shopped around and settled in on Aetna. The monthly premium to them is $46 each. That with the Medicare Part B premium is a little less than the cost from the employer plan I had and the coverage is better.
Don’t have the exact details handy, but it’s something like $800.00 dental reimbursement per year and $400.00 reimbursement for eyeglasses/contacts per year. Plus you can get up to $36.00 per month of common over the counter drugs from CVS at no charge. That’s for bandaids, aspirin, vitamins, cold medicines, and other common stuff. There’s a lot of plans out there, but this one has been right for us.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a UHC Medicare Advantage plan through AARP. It just paid 1/2 my bill,~ $200, for my exam & new glasses in November which it will do every 2 years. It saves me ~ $150/year on my 2 visits to the dentist too & he's out of their network. Best of all it only costs me the $15 a year it costs to belong to AARP as it has a $0 premium. AARP Medicare Advantage Choice(PPO) is what it is actually called. It may not fit your needs as the deductible/out of pocket can be a bit high on some elective surgeries but it works for me. They have Medicare Supplements too. :scratch: Here's a start : https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/
hey gunner, those glasses, are those to correct your color deficiency???🤪🤪 :rotflmao: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
to spendy???

that I have only needed basics for both..  so I pay as I go...  dental is about 6 to 7 hundred a year and my glasses have been the same for many years too...  so no cost there..
i'm a bit confused by this!!!! :scratch: :scratch: are you saying in a years time you shell out about 6-7 hundred bucks for vision and dental services????

my wife has dentures, she never wears,  :banghead: :banghead: so dental would be only for me. but vision we both go in for eye exams. i still use the dollar store variety but Sue has prescription glasses.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
vision is near zero a year normally for me..  periodontal is my big expense for my teeth and that runs about some over 500.00 a year..  and then my regular dental check up..  the insurance from the feds covers basically nothing at all except dental checkup for about $50.00 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
vision is near zero a year normally for me..  periodontal is my big expense for my teeth and that runs about some over 500.00 a year..  and then my regular dental check up..  the insurance from the feds covers basically nothing at all except dental checkup for about $50.00
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: thanks......much clearer now!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and the periodontal is not covered with my insurance.. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I did a little more digging yday, glenn, & the plan I have isn't available in your area. They(UHC) do have a couple AARP Medicare Supplemental plans for your area though. https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/ I didn't look to see what kind of dental & vision coverage they had.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I used https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/types-of-medicare-health-plans/coverage-options-in-medicare-advantage-plans when I started thinking about turning 65. Leech~~ is dead on, be careful of the junk mail you'll get that is made to look like it has come from Medicare. Read the fine print, they just want you to buy their high price coverage.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So Gunner, what's your overall opinion on AARP. I used to get alot of garbage in the mail from them, not so much anymore.

I've talked to several people that had them but dumped them because they didn't find much use for what they offer??? :scratch: :scratch:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Costco just sent an email for it's members showing different programs they offer for them..  one was Delta dental.. so I looked in to it..  zero plans for me in this area.. get lots of that stuff... 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Delta Dental is what the wife has and I am on her plan.  Dentists carry different plans if it looks like they will get enough business from it.  I think it actually costs them to join the plans so some don't join different ones.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The UHC Medicare Advantage plan that I have through AARP is the only reason I'm a member. That's not available in your area but there are other companies, here's 3, that offer plans that are very similar https://www.medicarehelp.org/2021-medicare-advantage/county/stearns?state=minnesota but you would have to see if they fit your needs. :scratch: I get quite a few e-mails from AARP every week but all I have to do is unsubscribe from those, if I wanted. Had Delta Dental too but that has nothing for vision.
« Last Edit: March 03/18/21, 10:24:46 PM by Gunner55 »