Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Do you remember when  (Read 10645 times)

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
OSB was $7.00 a sheet, or when it skyrocketed to $14.00 a sheet.
https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/osb-sheathing/1-2-x-4-x-8-osb/1242809/p-1444422395209.htm

I read an article that building supplies have gone up so much, you can add an extra $27,000. To the cost of an average new home.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hearing that too and many are halting building...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Hit the 6 month chart on this link and say Thank You Mr. Biden!   :angry:

https://www.macrotrends.net/futures/lumber

What month was the election again?  :coffee:
« Last Edit: March 03/24/21, 06:26:31 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

I'm claiming complete  :bs: on blaming anyone person on the price of building supplies.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: Got to agree 57, :doah:  ;) :laugh:, we had some roof/fascia damage from the big wind storm/derecho(140 mph) that knocked power out for 17,000 people in Cedar Rapids(Ia) in August last year & knocked 5 trees down here so we had 1 of our original contractors come by to give us an estimate. He told us that he'd just finished  going back to do a new estimate on a big garage that he'd just bid that Spring because the price of lumber had increased so much. He said he had to raise his estimate $10K & that was nearly a 50% increase already then. :crazy:
« Last Edit: March 03/24/21, 07:01:31 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 I really wanted to shingle my shed  out back this summer but with prices the way they are probably not this year.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

I'm claiming complete  :bs: on blaming anyone person on the price of building supplies.
Lol, yes of course it's an administration. But, should we go with Fuel, food and any number of costs going ski high while everyone in the world tests this new clown show. 🙃
« Last Edit: March 03/24/21, 08:40:23 PM by Leech~~ »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had to check the 1 year version of your chart too, Leech~~ & from mid June to the end of August the price of lumber more than doubled. Mid June it was $361 & by August 27th it was $850. Not sure was caused that spike but I'm pretty sure the current administration had nothing to do with that.  :rolleyes:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
All of the storms around the country probably had more to do with it than anything.  Supply and Demand.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Everyone was stuck at home remolding their homes. That is what drove the demand up so high. The window orders have been high here since last June. Been nuts.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Everyone was stuck at home remolding their homes. That is what drove the demand up so high. The window orders have been high here since last June. Been nuts.
that and everything shut down because of the rona........... treated wood is unbelieveable hard to get....... the places that do the treating......cant gt the forest products to there faculity. 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Put a new steel roof on my 40 by 100 foot shop last June, sure glad I did it before Trump raised the price of everything!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
For those who don't know better, Trump was president until late January and the effects of his policies are still in effect.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Put a new steel roof on my 40 by 100 foot shop last June, sure glad I did it before Trump raised the price of everything!
LOL. He had as much influence on it as OBiden does.  :doofus:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
For those who don't know better, Trump was president until late January and the effects of his policies are still in effect.
I wish his border policies were still in effect.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Had to check the 1 year version of your chart too, Leech~~ & from mid June to the end of August the price of lumber more than doubled. Mid June it was $361 & by August 27th it was $850. Not sure was caused that spike but I'm pretty sure the current administration had nothing to do with that.  :rolleyes:

Ok cool. Now look at the 10-20-or All time charts. Lumber prices have gone to a "all time" cost high in just the last few months, since they have been keeping track of the prices.  :shocked: :rolleyes:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
IMO the real estate market played a hand in that as well. Houses were selling like hotcakes, which drove prices up, & in turn that had a lot of people remodeling instead of purchasing. Mom's house was only on the market 3 weeks. Had a solid offer in ~ week but the bank wanted them to sell the 1 they were living in 1st, not so on the 2nd.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

For those that don't know better. Markets and investors move to new strategies as soon as the know the next game plain. They don't sit around and wait until some new dork says "I will" on the Bible.  :doah: 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I wish his border policies were still in effect.
Problem is with the high lumber prices Mexico just cant
 Afford to "pay for the wall" like your messiah promised  they would.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Corn and beans are way up. Looks like a good year for farmers. Thanks Biden.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
He's just running on the markets and weather that Trump put in place.  :rotflmao: Wheat farmers might argue otherwise. Wait till we get record global production and President I've fallen and I can't get up slaps an embargo or two on someone like Jimma Cotta did... :doah:
« Last Edit: March 03/25/21, 11:04:28 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Ok cool. Now look at the 10-20-or All time charts. Lumber prices have gone to a "all time" cost high in just the last few months, since they have been keeping track of the prices.  :shocked: :rolleyes:
:scratch: 130% last summer vs 28% since Nov   :confused:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My point is that markets are cyclical and no one man is responsible. Unless of course that man starts a trade war with a huge grain and livestock consumer.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Was exactly my point except they can influence the markets, positively or negatively by their policy decisions. 'nuff said.
« Last Edit: March 03/25/21, 11:21:10 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Was exactly my point except they can influence the markets, positively or negatively by their policy decisions. 'nuff said.
Yes, and one can find plenty of examples to point their fingers at the political character of their choice.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Toss in a few intangibles like ASF, droughts, derechos, etc., and there you have it.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like wheat is higher than its been in five or more years also.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That Biden! What a guy! :rolleyes: It doesn't take much especially since Russia has become a major exporter in recent years, something they haven't seriously been since WWI. Otherwise wheat has been a dead horse for a long time. Difficult to make much money even at these prices. Even more difficult if your HRW crop is poor which some of it will be. The one possible exception may be hard amber durum, that last fall was going for prices not seen since the 1974 wheat sales to Russia under then president Nixon. Contracted ahead, it should be profitable provided it makes grade. If it doesn't, congrats, you just lost your shorts growing feed grade wheat. When HRS reached above the levels it's at now some 15 - 20 years ago, it jarred a few acres loose even around here. Now, not a lot of people looking to displace corn and particularly soybeans off their acreages even in the Dakotas. To tease the one grain marketing guru & area farmer, when the wheat market moves upwards significantly I find ads for old Owatonna swathers on Craigslist and email them to him. His responses are priceless.

From Yesterday's After the Bell:

Wheat: Wheat futures failed to hold gains from early in the overnight session and closed today near session lows. May SRW was down 10 cents to $6.24 3/4 and May HRW was down 5 3/4 cents to $5.76 1/4. May spring wheat was down 3 1/4 cents to $6.27. Prices declined after yesterday’s rumors of Chinese buying proved hollow. Futures continued to see rallies met with selling pressure amid reduced worries about crops across the Northern Hemisphere. Monday’s state crop reports showed improving conditions across much of the U.S. wheat belt after recent rains and more this week are adding to soil moisture reserves. Thursday’s trade will focus on weekly export demand. USDA is expected to show old-crop wheat sales of 150,000 to 500,000 MT, compared with 390,075 MT reported last week. New-crop sales are expected at 50,000 to 200,000 MT, compared with 139,032 MT a week earlier.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/2063911-dearth-durum-raises-prices#:~:text=The%20price%20of%20durum%2C%20the,percent%20of%20all%20U.S.%20durum

« Last Edit: March 03/25/21, 01:50:52 PM by Dotch »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: 130% last summer vs 28% since Nov   :confused:
Yeeah, I was kind of talking who was in office when an all time historical high price record hit?  :shocked:

I'm starting to think though that all the noises the Dem's and left make about big bad corporations is just a ruse for votes?  And they really are for big corporations and profits!  Cuz, they sure seem to be helping them out right now with profits.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: