Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: And so, it has begun.....  (Read 5707 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
First one of the 2021 gopher trapp'in season..
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Better man than I am HD. Had better luck with Death Klutch traps. Had a few but I could never get pan traps to work worth a crap. And on the odd occasion when they did, the gophers would either chew their leg off or the damn cats would get there first.  :doah:  :pouty:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Better man than I am HD. Had better luck with Death Klutch traps. Had a few but I could never get pan traps to work worth a crap. And on the odd occasion when they did, the gophers would either chew their leg off or the damn cats would get there first.  :doah:  :pouty:
its been 6-7 years since i chased them.....had 2 different types of traps......i'd score occasionally, but usually ended up with a trap buried in dirt!!!!!!!!!!  :banghead: :banghead: :confused:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We had lots of hay fields when I was a lad so it was my job to rid them of pocket gophers. The mounds raised hob with the sickle sections on the mower, especially when there were small rocks in them. Had 7 or 8 Death Klutch traps, some of which I inherited from my older brother & some I bought. Also had a couple pan traps that I used when I'd set all my other traps so I never perfected the technique. Our yellow Lab Chico liked to tag along when I'd check the traps. He was great when we'd find an open hole. If the gopher was working close to the surface, Chico'd dig them out for me. The dirt would really fly!   :happy1:
« Last Edit: April 04/08/21, 12:13:08 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been known to sit a ways from the newest Mounds with trusty shotgun. When id see the dirt move I'd blast it. Very satisfying.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I've been known to sit a ways from the newest Mounds with trusty shotgun. When id see the dirt move I'd blast it. Very satisfying.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: damn Roony  :rotflmao: didn't know you had that kinda thing in Yea. :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya sounds kind of aggressive doesn't it?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Just don't like gophers, that's all. Garden hose down the hole to make them come out works good when it only has a mound or two.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Trapping only about one per year now. When I was a kid I spent summers trapping with probably 20 traps. The county paid a bounty of 35 cents for each pair of front feet turned in to the county agent. There was an old guy who had a hook for one hand that used to drive around and stop at all the farms to ask about trapping on their land. He had a back seat full of traps.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I wish I had an old guy that came around to trap these bastards. Like Dotch has said, they really take a toll on the machinery.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I wish I had an old guy that came around to trap these bastards.
Especially if they’d do it at 35 cents a head

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I wish I had an old guy that came around to trap these bastards.
Especially if they’d do it at 35 cents a head

True....so very true!  :happy1: