Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Land expansion, again.  (Read 5094 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Once again I managed a land swap/purchase netting me an additional 30 acres.  Short story is my brother in law owned most of his property to the west of mine but did own a 55 acre parcel to my east. We agreed on a partial land swap where I gave him 25 acres off my west side plus some cash for the 55 acres on the east side of my land. Best thing is I no longer get any argument from my wife when I tell her I plan to buy more land.  Not sure just what I did to make that happen but I wish I could bottle it.   :rotflmao:

Here's a few pictures taken on the new addition. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Congrats.  That second to last pick makes it look like you bought Jurasic Park.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
great pics D.E. surprised the sandhills ventured into that treed area as they are nervous birds.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks purty. Now you need some cattle or sheep along with a full lineup of used farm equipment so you have something to do in your spare time.  :evil:  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Congrats on the additional acres and congrats on the wife not arguing with you about it.  :happy1:
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I've never sat in that tree stand.  I might have to give that spot a try.  Looks awesome.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
great pics D.E. surprised the sandhills ventured into that treed area as they are nervous birds.

I have trail cam pictures of cranes deep in the woods on my land.  I could never figure that out either.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last weekend I spent some time looking at the 54 acers I bought a few weeks ago. Being my brother in law owned it for many years and it's attached to my existing land I have probably spent time on this property before.  :rotflmao:  I took a few photos which should give you a good idea of what's on the property.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Anything to  produce income?   Or just fun?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
delcecchi,
Good question.  The answer is simply no, not for income.  All of the land purchases, habitat improvement projects, logging, tree planting, Forest Steward Plans, other management projects and countless hours of work by myself, friends and family that we have completed or in the process of doing are all done to enhance the carrying capacity and diversity of wildlife on the property.  The CRP and hay crop income covers around 20% of the property taxes.  Net profit from the logging that was done this past winter will cover property taxes for a couple years. My goal is to continue maintaining and improving the property for as long as I am able and then turn it over to my sons and grandson with ultimate goal of preserving this chunk of property as a wildlife haven.  Oh, almost forgot good hunting and excellent wildlife viewing is our payment.  The biggest worry I have is land values increasing resulting in higher taxes which eventually could get so high that It simply would be impossible to continue owning the property.  That would be ok IF the intent was to profit from the sale but as I stated before that's not my intention.  There are programs to prevent this such as "green acres" to apply the property must be classified homestead.  That's the long and short of the story del and thanks for asking.

This is one of the best rewards I can get for all the work and expense.  Last year this youngster
shot his first ever turkey on my land. Yesterday he repeated with his second.  I think he's hooked
for life.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!