Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Alphalfa?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
what time of the year is best to plant alphafa for fall hunt?
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Two years ago.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can't speak from a deer hunting perspective boar but you basically have two windows of opportunity. Now, in early spring, and starting in late July to mid-August are your best bets for getting something attractive to deer, at least in our latitude. Roony's right about established alfalfa being best. They hammered my hay fields heaviest in years 2 & 3. The amount of deer crap out there was amazing when I checked the stands. Now the orchardgrass has taken over they still like it but not like they did.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree with roony and dotch it does take a couple years to establish alphafa.  Problem is it takes a bit of care and usually dies out in 3-5 years.  Especially in a neglected food plot.  I would go with winter rye if you are looking to hunt it in the fall.  Put half the plot in winter rye and half in turnips and you are good to go.  Probably plant in late August or early September. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Turnips would be good. How about a patch of beets? Deer go absolutely nuts over beets. You'd have to fence them in until close to season. Beets will turn a docile creature into an uncontrollable savage. Tillage radishes might be another good choice.
« Last Edit: April 04/14/21, 01:06:19 PM by roony »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Turnips would be good. How about a patch of beets? Deer go absolutely nuts over beets. You'd have to fence them in until close to season. Beets will turn a docile creature into an uncontrollable savage. Tillage radishes might be another good choice.