Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: All WIS Wolf Harvest close  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

:reporter;  Wisconsin DNR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Feb. 24, 2021
DNRPress@wisconsin.gov

All Wolf Harvest Zones Are Now Closed :pouty:

MADISON, Wis. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) today announced that all wolf harvesting zones are now closed to hunting and trapping gray wolves.

Zones 2,5,6 closed at 10 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 24. Zones 1,3,4 closed at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24. Hunting and trapping during the closed season/zone carries a forfeiture amount of $303.30.

State statute authorizes the DNR to close management zones to harvest following a 24-hour notice based on harvest information. Because of the nature of harvest registration and 24-hour notice, it is possible for harvest quotas to be exceeded.

During the Natural Resources Board (NRB) Special Meeting on Feb. 15, the board unanimously voted for a harvest quota of 200 wolves outside reservation lands. Of the approved quota, 119 wolves were allocated to the state, and 81 wolves were allocated to the Ojibwe Tribes in response to the Tribes declaration and in accordance with their treaty rights within the Ceded Territory.

The current harvest totals are for state license holders and do not include any tribal harvest numbers. Tribal members register tribal harvest in a separate process and is shared between the state and tribes after the season. 

It is each hunter and trapper's responsibility to verify and abide by zone closures by calling 1-855-299-9653 or checking the website here. 
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
So do they get a license fee refund for a short season? Those that were planning later date hunts I mean.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I doubt it. Once  they got your money you ain't gonna get it back.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if the Ojibwe Tribes were/are obliged to register their wolf harvests with WI DNR.   :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I wonder if the Ojibwe Tribes were/are obliged to register their wolf harvests with WI DNR.   :confused:
they didnt shoot no wolves........like the black bear..a wolf is considered there brother....
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
they didnt shoot no wolves........like the black bear..a wolf is considered there brother....
No doubt, but I was just wondering if they were required by law to report the tally IF they took any. 

My point is, if the Indians are given a quota, they should have to report against it - so we know what the real number is.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Naw steve,natives are a special enity,two years ago one wisconsin tribe declared a minnesota moose harvest in northeast minnesota,an area where we none natives can only get via lottery a "once in a lifetime" moose tag,if I remember right the natives claimed 25 moose who know's how mant they took for sure,just like the walleyes on mille lacs.