Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tree Trimming?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey,any of you arborists out there,can I trim my apple tree's before the first frost?I'm told certain tree types will shock if trimmed before the first frost, these apple tree's need a hair cut.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Dotcheroo would be the one to answer this, but I've always trimmed mine in December, just so no injury/disease carries into freeze up.

From U of M site:

Apple trees should be pruned in late winter, but you can prune into the spring and summer if you must. Avoid pruning in the fall since this stimulates new growth at the same time the tree should be getting ready for winter

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya, I usually leave them alone until late winter up until early April. Ours especially the Fireside tree always have a fair amount of suckers and vertical branches to contend with. Fireblight, a bacterial blight, has been the main concern. Pruning them on that schedule helps the cut to dry out and start to heal before the wetter part of the growing season.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Hey Dotcher....I've got lotsa suckers I wanna prune on my crabby appleton, think it's ok to do it now? None bigger than my little finger.
« Last Edit: September 09/29/21, 10:26:30 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
always did the apple tree's in Feb or early March...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanx guyz,I knew I came to the right place.late winter it is,one less thing to get done before freeze up.Hope my power stihl pole saw fires up come march....might be in winter slumber?I'll give the pole saw a work out maybe this weekend as the "buck thorn" is thick along my creek this year,fresh fuel/sea foam and hopefully she'll fire up.
« Last Edit: September 09/29/21, 11:46:53 AM by snow1 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hey Dotcher....I've got lotsa suckers I wanna prune on my crabby appleton, think it's ok to do it now? None bigger than my little finger.

As dry as it's been, probably OK. To be on the safe side I'd wait until leaf drop. 🍃 Bunnies chew them all winter here starting about then with no ill effects on the tree. Reminds me, I gotta find the bunny guards for the burning bushes & hydrangea. Can only shoot the ones I see... :angry:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)