Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Andrew and I went to the river this morning  (Read 3465 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
And he took a picture of Gramps number 16.  Yes, sheep head still count. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
way to go!!!   keep it up!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nice fish. How did the sheepshead get it's name, anyway? I don't see the resemblence.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice fish. How did the sheepshead get it's name, anyway? I don't see the resemblence.
This doesn't explain how, but maybe the drumming sound made it sound to someone as a sheep.

The freshwater drum is a fish known for its noise. Males make a grunting or rumbling sound during the breeding season, which is thought to attract females. That noisiness generated many colorful nicknames, including croaker, thunder pumper, grunter, grinder, bubbler. Other names include silver bass, gray bass, lavender bass, and gaspergou from the French casse-burgeau "to break a clam." Locally many anglers refer to them as "sheepshead."

Freshwater drum like turbid water and inhabit slow or moderate current over sand or mud bottoms. A freshwater drum’s lateral line (a visible line of sense organs on the side of a fish for detecting pressure and vibration) extends to the end of its tail, which is farther than most other fish species. This adaptation allows the drum to pick up vibrations in the water and better locate food and enemies. It feeds on many different types of food from crustaceans and seeds to minnows and aquatic insects. It can use its high snout and forehead to flip stones and expose food.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
better take a break GT, or there wont be any fish left in the river!!!!!! :evil: :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
better take a break GT, or there wont be any fish left in the river!!!!!! :evil: :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Anything caught where we are at is quickly released and returned.  The water just isn't clean enough.  Some will keep a walleye or cat, but the carp and sheep head are sent back for catching again.