Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dog foods and heart disease  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
« Last Edit: August 08/05/21, 09:55:44 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Good read Reb,as a dog owner it's good to keep alert for these very things,thanx,years ago the FDA put out a warning to dog owners about specfic dog food brands relating to liver failure,grain dog foods imported from china no less,it was to late for my pup as I fed him the same brand for several years,"natural choice" he died  from liver failure shortly after the news broke as did 100's of dogs nationwide.Sad deal,today I had issues with a certain dog food company I bought energy treats from "sport mix" couple years back after opening a new bag of these treats my pup had a seizure,after consulting with my vet and the small animal clinic at the U of M I was referred to a clinic in michigan who reseached tainted animal foods,they sent me and a biscuit sample to the FDA,in the mean time we nixed these treats,stopped all medicines (heart worm.tick meds etc) it took months to here from the FDA as this all started with the virus hit the fan,turned out this sport dog company dog food was tainted with mold,no mention of they're biscuits,but gotta assume a link,again this company made national news as many dogs were inffected and died.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
My buddy passed away from kidney failure after a straight diet of dry Pedigree, with an occassional 1/4 can of Pedigree or an egg/cottage cheese thrown in.
He never had stomach or poo issues, ever. But, he was also a little over 15 yo, too.  :cry:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
My buddy passed away from kidney failure after a straight diet of dry Pedigree, with an occassional 1/4 can of Pedigree or an egg/cottage cheese thrown in.
He never had stomach or poo issues, ever. But, he was also a little over 15 yo, too.  :cry:

Tough deal Reb,it's never easy when that day comes,15yo he had a good run,they always take a piece of our heart when they go.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Peas and lentils was why the grain free food crashed a couple of years ago. Didn't matter if it was low end or high end  grain free food, it all contained it, many of us switched.  The sad part is I haven't had a Lab to make it to 10 yet, Remi is getting close tho..

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So what kind of food do you guys use? I looked up the Pedigree I used to buy, and it now is full of peas and beans.... :doah: Never used to be, my vet said it was a good dog food, as it was low in ash and by products. Things change...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I hunted my dogs a lot I used Purina High Pro.  That is not good for dogs that don't burn a lot of calories.  Then just used Purina regular. Then switched to Tuffy's and used it for years.  My labs lived to 12 - 14 years old and were in great shape.  I am using Wag which is Amazons equivilant to Diamond of Blue something.  ???  May just switch back to Tuffy's.  I can buy that here in town. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Always wondered if that Flat Farm "Sprout" brand was any good?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I lived in Stillwater I used that for awhile.  I used their upper grade stuff.  Dogs liked it fine. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been using "Nutri Source" for many years,lamb n rice,was suggested 3 dogs ago that had dry/itchy skin.worked great way back haven't changed a thing since.Every 10th bag is free to boot.

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I’ve posted this before, but I think it’s very important.
Two years ago I brought my dog in for a cough he had developed, so they took chest X-rays. Turns out he had bronchitis. While viewing the X-ray they notice he is develop an enlarged heart, or DCM, dilated cardio myopathy. DCM is what the CDC is investigating as a possible link to certain brands of grain free dog food.
My Vet ask me what brand of dog food I was feeding my dog and I said Blue Buffalo wilderness. She told me to switch his food to one of the brands that has been around for a long time ( Science Diet, Iams, Pro Plan, Royal canin), and no grain free food. She wanted to see him back in six months. I also took him to my vet in the cities, and they confirmed the CDM. At his appointment six months latter his dilation had returned to the normal range. My advice, Stick with the older known varieties of dog food, no grain free, no holistic crap

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb, I tried "Sprout" once a few years ago. I quit using it because there was too many live bugs in the bottom of the bag. Just Purina now. :happy1:
mm

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I think Sprout was one of the foods that they found to contain Aflatoxin, a poisonous mold.

Old Roy, another low cost food I just cringe when I see people at Walmart put in their cart.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb, I tried "Sprout" once a few years ago. I quit using it because there was too many live bugs in the bottom of the bag. Just Purina now. :happy1:

OMG......live bugs??!??!?!??!?!!! :puke:

Old Roy, another low cost food I just cringe when I see people at Walmart put in their cart.

Is that stuff REALLY still around???!!! I thought that was just Arkansas good ol' boy dog food.... :doofus:

« Last Edit: August 08/06/21, 10:23:33 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You'll have to ask glenn after one of his routine trips to Wally World. Or did he get that greeter job there? I'm so confused...  :scratch: :whistling:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
He's in charge of Diversity/COVID mask screening.  :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: August 08/06/21, 10:41:02 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
He's in charge of Diversity/COVID mask screening.  :lipsrsealed:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!