Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: A Frame Blind  (Read 4635 times)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Anyone here use a A Frame blind when field hunting?
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
No, and I can't say I know what an A-frame blind looks like.  For geese?  Deer?

Sorry for bein' a little ignorant.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
yup,dumped my layout's years ago,now I have a comfy fold out chair,built in gun rack and coffee mug holder in my A-frame,dog has his own see thru kennel type door for incoming birds,birds don't seem to mind when they want in,we usually set the blind on a fenceline or along a stock pond in natual cover,sure beats laying on the ground,maybe layouts are more game productive but being comfortable in the blind is huge in my case ( old age),scatch out a couple of birds is frosting on the cake,just watching the sunrise and watching the excitement of my pup makes the day in style.
« Last Edit: September 09/16/21, 12:04:10 PM by snow1 »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
We are going to try one next week in Canada. Getting my 72 hour Covid Test to cross the border tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 09/14/21, 06:42:38 AM by KEN W »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Good on you Ken,what's the plan manitoba or sask?,sad we U.S. citizen's gotta jump thru hoop's to cross into canada,unlike our southern border.

Been years for my travels to canada hunting/fishing,never went this early back in my day when we could shoot lead,usually mid october after harvesting was completed,even then with very little hunting pressure I remember trying to jump shoot a small pond full of mallards,dang birds wouldn't jump,just sat there wondering what I was doing yelling and waving my arm's,lack of human inter action I guess.Have fun.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
We are going to Sask. If not for last year, this would be our 29th straight year.

As you said. There were only a few resident hunters then. Canadas and Specks. They didn't hunt anything else. Snows were pests....almost always said..."shoot em all."

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like a great plan,how far ya goin in to sask? north to Quill lake area or near Lucky lake area?,seems the further west one goes =more spec's,my favorite goose table fare.

Goodluck.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
We are going north of the Quills. we don't shoot a lot of Specks. Usually just a few.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a haul...packing a fishing rod? must be close to Nipwan/tobin lake....monster walleyes as I suspect you know.

Never traveled that far north to hunt,usually from Lucky lake to further west to wiseton.Mid afternoon hunts in this area had good numbers of sharptail and hun's,but that was long ago,no issue's gaining access to hunt land back then,I'm told today like north dakota outfitters tie up alot of hunting land. 29 years I'd say your dialed in your area.
« Last Edit: September 09/15/21, 09:57:55 AM by snow1 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
We are going north of the Quills. we don't shoot a lot of Specks. Usually just a few.
have tons of fun Ken!!!!!!! hopefully pictures??????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

Ifin your lucky you'll shoot a "quill lake goose",always wanted one for the wall,that and a " old squaw duck" "harleguin" duck as well

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Received my negative Covid Test. Also filled out my Arrive Can app to record all the info to get across. Leaving Friday afternoon. Back the following Friday. Friends are out scouting for the first day on Saturday. The big question will be.....What kind of hatch did the geese have in the Arctic?

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Ken,you bringing ammo up with you iffin your lucky to find it locally,not sure if canada has the ammo shortage delema we have here in the states.Won't lie I sure miss my trip's to canada hunting and fishing,but the stubborn swede I am I refuse to jump thru hoop's going to and from.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
We always leave whatever we don't shoot up there. Plus taking some along.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't seen waterfowl loads on the shelves lately,no lead target loads either other than some over priced crap from spain here and there,keep checking around town,cabelas,fleet farm,nothing for winchester AA's....

Even the ammo company I  have an in with/work for "environ metals" they produce hevi shot,they tell me production is double from this time last year,but have yet to see they're over priced product on the shelves to date.they have told me the cost of this ammo keeps rising because china is buying up as much  of our precious metal they can,this ammo is made up of tungsen iron,nickle and tin,out performs the old days of lead as pellets are 50% more dense than steel and 10% heavier than lead,this is 100% hevi shot not to be confused with hevi steel or blends,but darn expensive to shoot,not a load to finish cripples should you have any cripples shooting this stuff.

Good for you Ken,you ppl have ammo "will travel".

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is a report from Sask. We did Ok today.....28 birds. BUT.....20 were adults. The birds we are hunting have almost no young. When you look at them on the ground or going over....Almost all the Blues have white heads. Don't know where they came from in the Arctic, but they had a very poor hatch. Hopefully it might change as later migrators might have more young.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
go get them Ken!!!!!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Good day today. Still very few young.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Bangin ducks as well? kinda surprised your getting some snow geese this early.are the snows lessers or greaters or a mix,any ross geese? curious.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
The major migration started late last week. This is normal for here. The first ones down are last years young and nonbreeders. These are all Lesser Snows and Ross Geese. No Greater Snows this far west. Not many ducks where we hunt. We shot half a dozen yesterday over the goose decoys.

We also shoot Greater and Lesser Canadas and some Whitefronts.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanx for the report Ken,only decent snow goose meal I ever had was hunting near lucky lake SK,local feller invited me over for dinner one evening as I was hunting alone when we met in the field,his wife baked a couple greater snow goose breast caked in a sausage sage turkey type stuffing,poured brown gravey over it,darn good but then again after a long day in the field,a free meal one needs to be grateful.Fun times/memories.Old timer told me the crappy eating lesser's are from the hudson bay area,alkali water gives them the nasty flavor unless ya make susage or jerky.At the time I didn't know about greater snow geese,lesson learned.

How was your border crossing? cross in portal? :scratch:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Border crossing was easy. They asked for passport and proof of a negative Covid test within the past 72 hours. Plus all the usual questions.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee,crossing/entering another country 101,wish our current administration would take notes,except biden forgot where he put his note pad.... :confused:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
We had a good day yesterday. Seeing a few more young. Still not more than 10% maybe. Windy today made a big difference compared to yesterday with dead calm. Our last day is tomorrow. Age, early mornings, fresh air, activity, and tender shoulder are catching up to me.
« Last Edit: September 09/23/21, 10:58:25 PM by KEN W »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Last day was OK.....not the best, but not the worst. 17 whites and 4 ducks. Time to go home tomorrow morning. Good luck to you guys still coming up. Lots of whites. But we had trouble finding Canadas. Did shoot some Specks this year.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanx for your daily reports Ken,my days of traveling to Oh Canada are just good memories,no plans to ever return due to all the hoop jumping both ways in and out.