Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Edible??  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of different mushrooms popping up lately.  The first pic was along the dirt road in the woods,  looks like a Shagy mane that Google says one can eat. The second I'm not sure about, its real close to our fire pit but just not sure if it's a chicken of the woods. Either way I don't have the seeds to try em out... you guys??

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: unless it's in a can I ain't eating it.  Unless boar tries it first. :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Go for it. Tastes like chicken.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Last time i was told to eat mushrooms, fish wer walkinf outa the water and talking to me..
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Robert?  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've read that if they are black underneath don't eat them.  We have a lot of different ones popping up here but the wife won't try them out.  LOL  Same as Glenn.  I like the ones in a can.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I can relate boarski.... ;)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yyeah, 'dems looks like Chick'n o' 'da Woods.  I had 'twice - the first time and the last time. 

And they don't taste like chicken to me.  More like...

If you saw a puddle of water in a hollowed out stump, and then took you sponge to soak up all that water, and then cooked your sponge...

But that is just my opinion.  Maybe I didn't use the right recipe.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
My in-laws were given one, several sat around the fire chewing away.  The only problem was they were drinking beer all day and that's all they had for a base,  they were the only ones  :puke: all the way to the hospital.  The doc said they woulda been fine with food in there stomach.
« Last Edit: September 09/13/21, 08:46:06 AM by Bobberineyes »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So that chicken of the woods.  Do you just take a piece and throw it in a frying pan with some butter and garlic or something?  Does it get as soft as any mushroom?  Looks like a hard thing to me.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That's all we did.  I saw some other recipes on the interwebs just now, but they don't look like the could improve the base ingredient.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Found a puffball about the size of a nerf football in a red oak stump when I was a kid. Been fascinated by the fungi that grow in the yard, pastures, woods, etc., ever since. I hung around a few people in college and afterwards who knew their mushroom ID pretty well, mainly plant pathology types. That said, I hung around with them only long enough to be damn good and dangerous myself. Pleurotus or oyster mushrooms I might have a chance at identifying correctly, puffballs (duh), morels probably, hen of the woods perhaps, chicken of the woods sort-of, inky caps ya but I ain't eating them. The 1st three I might take a shot at but the rest of them, not gonna do it. End up like boar; Robert, izzat chu? Speak to me little buddy!  :scratch:     
« Last Edit: September 09/13/21, 03:11:35 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't Juniper berry squeezin's make ya a Fungi?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Edible muchrooms...

... just sayin'  :bonk: :happy1: ;) :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Chicken of the woods  Sea  whatever.... :bonk:  :doah:

https://youtu.be/k2h72aXVP8o

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
picked mushrooms 35 years ago..  not now..  I'm with Steve-o!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
We found a hatful of morels in the state park one time - no mistaking what they were.  We took them back to camp, cleaned them, and fried them in butter.  Again, maybe we didn't have the best recipe, but I couldn't figure out what all the hub-bub was about.

Of course, if I was living off the land (pounds of butter not withstanding) perhaps morels are the tastiest thing you can forage in the forest. 

But for all the trouble you have to go thru to get all those pathogenic microorganisms out of all those crevices, I'll be happy to pass them along to someone who really enjoys them.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I saw many of these on my land last week.  I've seen them before but not in these quantities. 
Probably don't want to eat them.  I guess you could take a chance and lick them.  :rotflmao:

Amanita muscaria, commonly known as the fly agaric or fly amanita,

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Probably end up seeing little blue guys hiding behind them too.... ;)
All I know about m'rooms is they come in little cans ,and ALDI has them for .69. :rotflmao:

Amanita muscaria - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Amanita_muscaria
Amanita muscaria is a cosmopolitan mushroom, native to conifer and deciduous woodlands throughout the temperate and boreal regions of the Northern Hemisphere, ...
‎A . muscaria var. guessowii · ‎Amanita muscaria var. formosa · ‎Amanita caesarea

People also ask:

What happens if you eat Amanita muscaria?

Amanita muscaria is not poisonous in the sense that it can kill you. It is poisonous in the sense that if not parboiled in plentiful water (the “toxins” are water soluble), then raw or undercooked mushrooms eaten (in moderation) will cause you to become inebriated and possible nauseous.
« Last Edit: September 09/13/21, 12:41:41 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
One time I picked 2 gallon zip lock bags of morels on a piece of property I owned.  Couldn't believe they were all over the place.  We were grilling at my Mom and Dads that evening.  I gave them to my Mom.  When she came out of the kitchen with them they were little pieces in the bowl.  She shredded them getting "things" out of them.  LOL  That is the only time I have found any.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Aren't ya supposed to soak 'em in salt water or something overnite to get da bugs out?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :confused:  Sounds like a good idea.  Never had any before.