Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Great time fishing with friends  (Read 2960 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday a friend took my son and I along with dakids fishing on Lake Superior.  We all had a blast catching big Lakers and a few other species of trout and salmon.  I never knew it could be so hard to reel in a fish.  It's surprisingly tiring to reel in over 500 feet of lead line with a big fish on all while the boat keeps trolling because there are 7 other lines in the water.  Had to reel for while and then shake out the arm kinks before continuing the fight.  Great time had by all.

My son with his first Lake Trout

dakids with one of many nice ones he caught

Our friend was keep busy keeping 8 lines in the water

Along with good fishing and company we had some great north shore views

My biggest Lake Trout of the day

My son with the biggest Laker of the day
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like a great time.  I have only done that once and I too got tired from reeling in all of that line.  LOL  Was a blast too!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice fish and a great day for it.  You find muscles you never knew you had, especially with the bigger fish.  Also blisters where your  reel crank rubs.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Wow...now THAT'S fishin'!!!!!!  :happy1:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
For a second there, DE, I though you'd grown a beard (in that first pic).

Congrats on all the good fishin.  Too bad lakers ain't part of the MNO Fishing Challenge.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya the kid looks a lot like the Ol Man. 

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Great time is right.  The fish and weather  cooperated.  Most fish were caught in 500 to 700 feet of water. 7 and 10 color leadcore were the hot rods.   Deadeye had back to back fish on the 10 color lead.  We were laughing and he was crying.  I've learned that when the 10 color rod gets a  bite to step back and let the new guy feel the  burn. Its always fun to spend time with good friends.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Deadeye also learned that when the fish hits the surface to keep its head up and ski it all the way in.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
There you did it!!!

You gave away your secret spot!   :doah:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So how far down were the fish DK?  I had a 5.3 Tyee years ago.  The boat was just 4 years old.  5.3 is meters so it was about 17'5".  I thought it was a big boat.  We went to Two Harbors and launced.  LOLOL  Man what an eye opener.  That boat seemed like a thimble out there.  Was a great experience.  Didn't catch any fish but got to see numbers on my depth finder that I had never seen before.  Kind of scary at first just cuz the water is hundreds of feet deep.  Wasn't real windy but a breeze so there was those big slow waves that would lift you up.  LOLOL   

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So how far down were the fish DK?  I had a 5.3 Tyee years ago.  The boat was just 4 years old.  5.3 is meters so it was about 17'5".  I thought it was a big boat.  We went to Two Harbors and launced.  LOLOL  Man what an eye opener.  That boat seemed like a thimble out there.  Was a great experience.  Didn't catch any fish but got to see numbers on my depth finder that I had never seen before.  Kind of scary at first just cuz the water is hundreds of feet deep.  Wasn't real windy but a breeze so there was those big slow waves that would lift you up.  LOLOL   

We marked fish 80 to 120 down.    Caught the fish 30 to 40 feet down on leadcore.