Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: OHV adjustment  (Read 2807 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ok, I've got a older Craftsman lawn ridding mower. Lately, when I go to start it, on the compression stroke it has a hard time turning over to the next stroke. At first, I thought the starter was drawing to many amps and not letting it fire on the up stroke.....

Anyway, Google says that I need to adjust the OHV..... .03 on the intake and .05 on the exhaust.... Seems that the OHV adjustment changes after it gets older on a Briggs and Stratton motor...

So, long story short....have you done this?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Yup. Engine should be cold....as long as yer doing it, I'd lap in the valves with some cpmpound to reseat. Have you checked comp ratio? Good ratio would be 85-100 lbs; old timers say anything anything over 65 or so is OK...I'm so-so on that one. If it's a 2 cylinder, no more than 15% difference in comp ratio 'tween cylinders.
But, as it gets older and valves wear/leak, it should be EASIER for engine to crank over, HD. I'd look for something else first, then proceed if all looks OK.
You didn't hit something and maybe shear the crank pin, and knock it outta time or bend crank, didja?
« Last Edit: October 10/27/21, 05:40:44 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This is what it's like......https://youtu.be/T1anxdNWf5Y
« Last Edit: October 10/27/21, 05:33:27 PM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
.017?!  What did he do to that poor engine?  :rotflmao: Ya, that's how ya do it...me, being anal on engines, just likes to check everything else first before I do the valves. Can ya get by without lapping them in? Sure! Do what he is showing (use a GOOD feeler gauge)....also, weak valve springs are often the culprit too. Can make valves "bounce" or "float" on high end...as any race driver knows. Kinda go hand in hand. My blower I just rebuilt my carb on, actually needs new valves too ( trick now is to actually "shorten' them with grinder. Older small Tecumsehs have valve issues) but I'm not putting$200 into a 22 yo snowblower....anyhow, got off track there. Yer not out anything with the reset....But that's just my .02 to try to help ya out HD.
« Last Edit: October 10/27/21, 06:28:43 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Glenn_S

• Outdoorsman
Kohler engines are known for this. I have to do mine in my Craftsman about every two years. Then it rund great again.
"I hope we have once again reminded people, that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes, and it fixes the hard to turn over start issue. I could dredge up my old post on this.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Meh,  just dig up one of your milk cans and buy a new one HD!! :sleazy: :happy1: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe ya got a smurf jammed up in the intake.  :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Winter is over (I hope)....so, I pulled the Craftsman out of the shed and adjusted the valves. She turns over easy now and purrs like a kitten!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never even thought about adjusting valves on a mechanical thing before. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Huh, here I was betting on a smurf in the intake... :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)