Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Opening weekend!  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yup good sausage!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw a nice buck each day but too far away.  Saw some does too.  Didn't see near as  many hunters as we used to see.  Have seen fewer every year it seems. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saturday was slow. I only saw a few chasing. Same with my son and grandson. Things heated up on Sunday. Lots of bucks chasing. We all saw some nice ones but nothing was shot. Today I shot a nice 8 point and a doe.  The woods was moving for sure.  Short story. After watching some running does and calling in a small buck I was sure the woods was full of deer. I watched a doe stand motionless for 15 minutes and then bound away with another deer.  Now I was on full on alert in my tree stand. Constantly rotating looking in all directions for any approaching deer. I must have been looking a little too long in one direction because when I turned I was surprised to see a doe at 25 yards and even more surprised to see a nice 8 pointer even closer just standing there looking in my direction. For the record there was absolutely nothing between us other than thin air. I slowly knelt down, brought up my gun which I had to raise over my head to shoulder. The buck didn't seem to be overly concerned by my actions. Being he was quartering toward me and I had no intention of waiting any longer I aimed where high and forward to allow for the sharp angle and fired. The buck spun and ran away. I watched him for a ways hoping to see him drop. No such luck but was pretty confident in the shot. I look over and the doe was just standing there looking in the direction the buck ran. I worked the bolt slowly and tried by failed to catch the spent cartridge and it clattered on the wood floor. The doe never looked up. I simply chambered another round, lined up on her neck and boom down she went.  The buck was easy to find as he didn't go far.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Saturday was slow. I only saw a few chasing. Same with my son and grandson. Things heated up on Sunday. Lots of bucks chasing. We all saw some nice ones but nothing was shot. Today I shot a nice 8 point and a doe.  The woods was moving for sure.  Short story. After watching some running does and calling in a small buck I was sure the woods was full of deer. I watched a doe stand motionless for 15 minutes and then bound away with another deer.  Now I was on full on alert in my tree stand. Constantly rotating looking in all directions for any approaching deer. I must have been looking a little too long in one direction because when I turned I was surprised to see a doe at 25 yards and even more surprised to see a nice 8 pointer even closer just standing there looking in my direction. For the record there was absolutely nothing between us other than thin air. I slowly knelt down, brought up my gun which I had to raise over my head to shoulder. The buck didn't seem to be overly concerned by my actions. Being he was quartering toward me and I had no intention of waiting any longer I aimed where high and forward to allow for the sharp angle and fired. The buck spun and ran away. I watched him for a ways hoping to see him drop. No such luck but was pretty confident in the shot. I look over and the doe was just standing there looking in the direction the buck ran. I worked the bolt slowly and tried by failed to catch the spent cartridge and it clattered on the wood floor. The doe never looked up. I simply chambered another round, lined up on her neck and boom down she went.  The buck was easy to find as he didn't go far.

Sounds like they were to busy in their courting duties to worry about you! 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Don't think I heard 1 shot Saturday between 9-11 AM when I was out. Pretty close to the same time on Sunday & I must've heard 6-8, maybe 10 reports that weren't that far away.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon