Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ice trolling~  (Read 2584 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I see a icefishing group on 18 ppl floated away on lake erie over the weekend,snow mobiles and all,only seen one pic of a massive sheet of ice that pulled away from shore,yikes!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I've seen snow mobiles cruze across open water,mid summer,one would think they could just skip across that narrow crack,no balls no glory.

Sure is a massive iceberg

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
A guy I know has a cabin on Red Lake and in the summer he fires up his really cool snowmobile and heads out on the lake and does a big loop and then back to shore.  I've never seen it but other buddies have.  Wouldn't that be a site to see whilst sitting in your boat jigging.  LOL

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
A guy I know has a cabin on Red Lake and in the summer he fires up his really cool snowmobile and heads out on the lake and does a big loop and then back to shore.  I've never seen it but other buddies have.  Wouldn't that be a site to see whilst sitting in your boat jigging.  LOL
they used to be snow mobile races on lakes during the summers in Wis..   used ride the bikes over to them!!!   by Turtle Lake if I remember right...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
they used to be snow mobile races on lakes during the summers in Wis..   used ride the bikes over to them!!!   by Turtle Lake if I remember right...
I've heard some brands of sleds are better suited to skimming open water than others.

I know a guy by the boundary waters who said, 'I never skim open water (in the winter) unless I have to.'  Really?!?   :confused:  :crazy:

But in that scenario - break away ice sheet - you have to have supreme confidence in your machine and skills, cause if you fall into that water with no one to rescue you - you are finished.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: :confused: :doofus: :tut: snowmobiles aren't made for soft water. Jet skies are. :surrender: I never understood skipping open water with snowmobiles. :scratch:
« Last Edit: February 02/08/22, 01:09:38 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Yellow Lake Lodge I think it was. Also Grantsburg is supposedly the home of snowmobile water skipping.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Yellow Lake Lodge I think it was. Also Grantsburg is supposedly the home of snowmobile water skipping.

that's the place Grantsburg!!!  thanks Leech!!    :happy1:

we camped by Turtle Lake!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
They do the here on little sand lake. The lake never freezes at the outlet. It is fun to watch!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
They do the here on little sand lake. The lake never freezes at the outlet. It is fun to watch!

Lot's of YouTube videos.  They actually have competitions every year in the summer on open water.  I sold a pair of bibs to a guy who's wife was some kind of champion at it.  He showed me pictures of her on his phone.