Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New Deer Hunting Rifle – Caliber and Make?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I mostly hunt with a walnut-stocked Winchester Model 70 in 30.06.  Recoil is manageable in the field (especially wearing multiple layers of hunting clothing), but gets bothersome on the target range.  I end up taking as many off-hand shots at deer as I do when given the time to find and use a rest.  It would be nice to have a more compact, lighter rifle for off-hand shooting.

With so many sub-MOA rifles out there under $1000 (some well under), maybe it’s time to consider a lighter gun with less recoil to put some fun back into rifle toting.

I’ve read lots of articles and reviews that split all the hairs, but I’m curious what you guys like, use, or might like to try in terms of deer rifle make, model, and caliber.

:popcorn:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
oi used to use a 30-30. it did its job!!!!!!!!!! i went to the 30-06 remington model 740 woodsmaster when we tookk a huntin trip out to montana!!!!! never looked back. my wife won one at a MDHA banquet.of course i was working so couldnt go!!!!!! :pouty: so now i have 2. i also have my dads 06.

30-30 is now a backup gun. i hear ya on the target practice.......sighting in but its mostly a mind thing. shooting at a deer  i notice  no reciol and i throw 220 grain bullets at them!!!!!!

SHUT UP BOAR!!!!!!!!! :confused: :doah: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always had to use slugs until I moved up here.  Then I used a .270 and liked it.  I just got a .243 a couple of years ago and love it.  I read a story a couple of years ago about an Elk guiding outfit.  They said people bring such big guns that after they do a practice shot or two with those big guns that they get flinchy.  After a hunter misses an elk or two they have them use the .243 that they keep on hand and their shooting gets much better without all of that recoil.  Got to put it in the right spot though. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll bet most of us have 30.06s, .270s, and 30-30s that have done the job for years.  I used to have a .270, but I sold it years ago and got, well... another 30.06.  :doah:

I shot a deer this year with my daughter's .243 and it did the job.:fudd::bambi:  That's what got me thinking about this whole thing.

But there are so many other caliber choices between .243 and 30.06 that are in the sweet spot for deer; and so many new rifle designs.   :happy1:

If I can figure out how to break with some of my sentimental attachments and make some room in the safe, it is fun to consider some of the possibilities.  :scratch:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Ive had a stainless synthetic modle 700 30-06 for 27 yrs. Love it but really is over kill just for sausage meat. I have my daughter shoot a 25-06, left handed, ask me how easy that was to find, awesome gun. 2 yrs ago i bought my wife a 6.5 creedmore left handed, and i shot my biggest buxk to date with it. In love with that gun.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've heard that those 6.5's are pretty sweet with not much kick neither.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I've heard that those 6.5's are pretty sweet with not much kick neither.

I'll second that LP,spec's on felt recoil is 10lbs...nice flat shooter,big talk the 6.5 will fill the 308.270 void 30lbs of felt recoil ,new and old shooters will love this creedmore.

couple years ago went on a praire dog shoot,6.5 creed on hand,.17 and a 243 to compare,the 6.5 factory loads 55gr hands down out to 800 yds,17 was a clse 2nd but limited application,6.5 in 143gr is your sweet big game calibur that won't buck you out of your stand.

Last month elk hunt...Not a giant but got the job done at 500yds .

« Last Edit: November 11/18/21, 12:45:55 PM by snow1 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: wadda guys getting to be a bunch of girly-mons  :doah: afraid of a little kick from a rifle!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree with getting  bucked around when target shooting or sighting in but, has anyone here actually felt a recoil after pulling the trigger with a deer or other big game in your scope?  Just my thoughts.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
You are correct, DE.  Heck, I hardly ever remember hearing the gun go off - let alone feeling any recoil.  (Remember the discussion about hearing protection a couple of days ago.)

But for those times when a lighter or more compact rifle might help off-hand aiming be more accurate...  There are better options out there than a full-sized Winchester 70.  I think.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yup in feild and at thr range are 2 different experiences in hearin and shock, when my daugbter was 12 on a youth hunt, never tooker her to the range with my 06, just went out and had her shoot a deer.never mentioned recoil, if i had taken her to tje range amd had her feel the range impact, im sure she would have been physced out in the feield
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Another thing that prompted this thread was an article in Outdoor Life:  What Is the Best Deer Hunting Caliber?  They ran thru all the old classics:  30.06, .270, 30-30, .308, 7mm Mag, .243, and even added the 6.5 Creedmoor.  Then they had some also-rans:  6.5 PRC, .257 Roberts, .280 Rem, .35 Rem, and .338 Federal.  I was surprised to see a couple of my candidates not on this list:  .260 and 7mm-08. 

Long story, longer...

I was narrowing in on the .260, 7mm-08, and 6.5 CM.  There are lots of hair-splitting blogs comparing and contrasting these rounds that perform very similarly:  recoil vs. initial velocity vs. kinetic energy vs. diameter vs. ballistics vs. wind drift, etc.

I might have shied away from the 6.5 CM just because it is the cartridge that haters love to hate, but I can't be that guy.  There are many good hunting bullets for 6.5 CM now, and they will definitely do the job.  And with them being so popular now, I think bullet makers will continue to prioritize their production.

I might prefer the 7mm-08 because of the bigger bullet and I don't need all the long range accuracy you get from the 6.5s.

It will probably boil down to this:  Ammo availability and price - if this shortage crisis ever abates.  I've seen 6.5 CM on the shelves, but haven't see a box of 7mm-08 or .260 for a long time.

But if ammo availability wasn't a problem, it would be fun to shop for a cool rifle in any of these calibers.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
You want a light weight, fast shooting, low kick brush gun! Scoped Ruger 44 mag carbine!   :happy1:

Good luck finding them any more though.   :pouty:
« Last Edit: November 11/18/21, 05:15:13 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
For got about tha 7mm08. I like how yu think about it. Hell buy bothe go to the range and sell the one that dont make yur grade.lol
78.50"

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I’ve been looking at another one also. I’m pretty sure it will be a 6.5 CM in a Browning or another 700 Remington. I’ve already got plenty but can never have to many. DE is right in the fact you never notice it in the moment. One thing I’ve done on most of mine is to swap out the recoil pad to a Limbsaver Airtech pad, a huge help. Another thing that helps is if you use a lead sled while target practicing, it would be less expensive than a new rifle.
Leech, I do have one of the Ruger 44 auto rifles, they do have more of a kick than you think but fun to shoot.
I would consider one of the 7mm-08 or even a 25-08 also.
Just my opinion.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed,gametime crosshair set,trigger pull the adrenline rush makes one indestructible,however the after effects will make ya think...

buddy didn't feel the recoil but... dang scope...

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought the wife at 7mm-08 about 5 years ago. One heck of a tack driver with very little recoil. As for sighting in big caliber rifles. We bought a lead sled a couple years ago. Makes a huge difference.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Leech, I do have one of the Ruger 44 auto rifles, they do have more of a kick than you think but fun to shoot.

How much you want for it? 🙂

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed,gametime crosshair set,trigger pull the adrenline rush makes one indestructible,however the after effects will make ya think...

Did you tell him he needs to hold the scope in front of his eye, not his forehead? 😄

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought the wife at 7mm-08 about 5 years ago. One heck of a tack driver with very little recoil. As for sighting in big caliber rifles. We bought a lead sled a couple years ago. Makes a huge difference.
yep, santa claus got me a sled bed about 10 years ago, make a huge difference!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

that and the fact i need another gun like i need a hole in my head!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

Did you tell him he needs to hold the scope in front of his eye, not his forehead? 😄

yeah, he did this twice...as I watched him shoot right handed he is crossed eyed dominate as odd as it was watching him trying to focus with his left eye through the scope,easy fix for shotgunners but a challenge rifle,plus this guy is what I call a weekend warrior,once a year one weekend/year.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I had a small lightweight gun vice that we used for sighting in. It held the gun in place but did little for recoil. This fall I won a Lead Sled at an MDHA banquet. Four of us used it this fall. It works great. No flinching no real felt recoil. Cool.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a small lightweight gun vice that we used for sighting in. It held the gun in place but did little for recoil. This fall I won a Lead Sled at an MDHA banquet. Four of us used it this fall. It works great. No flinching no real felt recoil. Cool.
deadeye, you win everything at those banquets. :pouty: :doah: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Glenn if yu put in more than a buck u might win somwthing too.
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We are currently planning our next MDHA banquet. It should be a good one. Save the date and start saving $$ to buy raffle tickets.
Saturday March 26, 2022.  Maybe we can have an MDHA table. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn if yu put in more than a buck u might win somwthing too.
:mooning: ha, as much money as I donated to these banquets, I could of just gone out an bought 4 guns

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well leech I was offered a 1000 for it last year but was to hard to find the one I wanted so NFS
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

yeah, he did this twice...as I watched him shoot right handed he is crossed eyed dominate as odd as it was watching him trying to focus with his left eye through the scope,easy fix for shotgunners but a challenge rifle,plus this guy is what I call a weekend warrior,once a year one weekend/year.

I'm left eye dominant, but shoot rifle right handed.  I've always aimed by closing my left eye - even with a scope.

Later I read all sorts of articles about Col. Jeff Coopers idea of a scout rifle and wondered it it might be what I was looking for in my next deer rifle... something different.
  • Measure less than a meter long
  • Weigh under 3 kilos (6.6 pounds) with sling and scope
  • Be capable of 2-MOA accuracy
  • Have a 19-inch barrel
  • Be chambered in .308 Winchester
  • Have ghost-ring rear and post front sights
  • Have a scout scope with about 10-inches of eye relief

And that's where I learned that aiming a rifle scope with both eyes open was a real thing and I was intrigued by the idea of mounting the scope half way down the barrel and see if I could use that to shoot with both eyes open.

I finally put my hands on a scoped scout rifle in a gun shop and I couldn't do it.  When I tried to aim with both eyes open, my left eye kept stealing focus from my right, which would then lose sight of the cross hairs.  I can shoot a handgun by bringing the sights up in front of my left eye, but it really doesn't work for a rifle tucked into my right shoulder. 

But if I wasn't cross-eyed, I think a scout rifle would be pretty cool for hunting deer in MN.  Here is Ruger's and Marlin's version of the concept.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Well leech I was offered a 1000 for it last year but was to hard to find the one I wanted so NFS
:pouty: :pouty:

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Steve-o, try wearing glasses and putting a piece of scotch tape on the left lens to cover your left pupil (spelling?). You should be able to keep both eyes open and let your right eye do the work. Does wonders for trap shooters. :happy1: :happy1:
mm