Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Jump Shooting  (Read 2391 times)

Offline CAB

• Outdoorsman
Just wanted to get some perspective from some waterfowl guys. I would love to get into duck hunting but I don't have the money or gear to do it properly yet(some day just not right now). How many have you tried jump shooting and what is your experience with it. As a new guy I like the idea of being able to identify the ducks, spot and stalk them and hopefully bag a few using gear I already have. Instead of just going out and doing it I wanted to see what people who have done think of it. Do you lose a lot of ducks? is it worth it? Is it frowned upon by duck hunters?

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Cab,it's all good,jumping birds on a pond or belly crawling on a flock of geese in the field it's all good and legal as long as you have permission on private land in most states,jumping a pond or slough in western states will p--ss some local hunters off as large concentration of waterfowl on water are called roosts as these birds migrate,busting a roost will exit these birds pronto ,pushing them south not to return,smaller bodies of water we call "loafing" ponds are aokay to jump,push birds off a loafing pond,they'll return later in the day usually or the next day.

then when the migration is really rolling old timer's like me perfer pass shooting when possible,but one needs to be in a good area with huntable numbers of birds around like 10+ thousand for starters,the trick is getting underneath these feeding birds,I'll drive up to 100 miles/day to find a good field feed where the birds are jumping back and forth over a road or section line,in south dakota it's legal to ditch hunt,north dakota not legal if land is posted on both sides of the road,land owner own land to the center of said road,so be mindfull of these laws.

Here is an example of a really good pass shooting opprotiunity I stumbled across recently,snow/blue geese feeding on both sides of the road in the distance(notice the white area's on the ground,feeding snow geese) new flocks were piling in creating a target rich environment.

This type of hunting in minnesota (western area) is very limited,but plenty of loafing ponds on both private land and public land can be had,1000's ofpublic waterfowl production land and wildlife production land is open to public hunting most have water on them to jump shoot,have a good retriever or chest wadders along.
« Last Edit: November 11/30/21, 10:26:06 AM by snow1 »