Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: looking back on our 2021 waterfowl season~  (Read 3476 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Hard to believe it's almost over...it was a great season weather wise,scratched out a few birds...

started out hot and heavy early goose...Then the first wave of migrating waterfowl second week in october.great times,lucky to par-take these days.

We got into a good wood duck shoot in a picked cornfield,at first sight the 100's of wood ducks tornadoing the field looked like mallards from a distance...

now the second wave of northern ducks/geese is happening~

Spending many days/hours at the gun range all summer sure pays off...years ago was lucky to hit  one or two going through a couple boxes of ammo,today one is lucky to have a couple boxes of ammo.

« Last Edit: November 11/19/21, 07:19:44 AM by snow1 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Congrats! Lotsa beautiful green heads & woodies.  :happy1:

You shoot all the nice waterfowl... :pouty:
« Last Edit: November 11/24/21, 11:55:14 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like a lot of fun.  Go get them.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice!!! Sounds like a good time. The end of the season is always a sad thing.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Great pics! I miss duck hunting..
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Me too.  Used to be my top priority.  That and field hunting geese.  Haven't done it for many years.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yup feild hunting geese in central.ND was my fave.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
You folks on LOW's...curious if you see huge flights of diver's I always herd about years ago rafting up on the big water as they migrate...younger days  we had good bluebill shoots on ,mille lacs and lake onamia,fun to shoot those buzz bombs comin in @ 50mph...but not worth a chit to eat in my book,some fellers like the gammie taste but I'll take a grain fed mallard/wood duck,gray duck over any diver.
« Last Edit: November 11/30/21, 07:07:54 AM by snow1 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't seen those big flocks but I am on the river.  I do see them in small flocks though.  A buddy and I got in on a great shoot years ago.  Was unreal.  Didn't taste good at all. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't say I have seen big rafts of them out front of our place. I will see small flocks of them. That being said I have not ever hunted waterfowl up here.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Few years back,winni and cass lake had huge diver duck kills,something to do with ingesting snails if I remember right?

I read a report years back about a NDSU duck migration project,NSU students captured molted blue bills on devils lake,attached a gps tracking device in the summer,(july) forget the exact date this one bluebill took off from devils lake one october day and turned up on a remote lake in cuba 76 hours later,experts claimed these birds rode a high/fast jet stream heading south.

It is amazing how high the migrating birds fly,many times I've sat after a long day hunting right at sundown along a large slough/small lake and watched 100's if not 1000's of mallards drop down from the stratospere,tornado onto the slough,unable to see these birds until they were right over the water.