Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Holiday donations to food shelves  (Read 1985 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Sharing for those who may be thinking about donating to food shelves during the holiday season.
Saw this on another site regarding Food Shelf donations
She spent some time at a Food Bank today, and spoke to the people getting food. Here are some things She learned from those in need:
1. Everyone donates Kraft Mac and Cheese in the box. They can rarely use it because it needs milk and butter which is hard to get from regular food banks.
2. Boxed milk is a treasure, as kids need it for cereal which they also get a lot of.
3. Everyone donates pasta sauce and spaghetti noodles.
4. They cannot eat all the awesome canned veggies and soup unless you put a can opener in too or buy pop tops.
5. Oil is a luxury but needed for Rice a-Roni which they also get a lot of.
6. Spices or salt and pepper would be a real Christmas gift.
7. Tea bags and coffee make them feel like you care.
8. Sugar and flour are treats.
9. They fawn over fresh produce donated by farmers and grocery stores.
10. Seeds are cool in Spring and Summer because growing can be easy for some.
11. They rarely get fresh meat.
12. Tuna and crackers make a good lunch.
13. Hamburger Helper goes nowhere without ground beef.
14. They get lots of peanut butter and jelly but usually not sandwich bread.
15. Butter or margarine is nice too.
16. Eggs are a real commodity.
17. Cake mix and frosting makes it possible to make a child’s birthday cake.
18. Dishwashing detergent is very expensive and is always appreciated.
19. Feminine hygiene products are a luxury and women will cry over that.
20. Everyone loves Stove Top Stuffing.
In all the years I have donated food at the Holidays, I bought what I thought they wanted, but have never asked. I am glad she did. If you are helping a Family this Christmas, maybe this can help you tailor it more. It does for me!

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Food banks or food shelf's scare me. Years ago, we lived across the street from one. I recall having difficulty finding a parking place sometimes.
It bothers me when I see Cadillacs, Lincoln's, BMW's and the like, waiting in line for free food. I have no problem with those who really NEED food, getting help. Two of those people actually told me "Hey, it's free. I might as well take it".
Several times, my wife and I have taken people we know need help to grocery stores or bought them a few clothes or helped with a utility bill.
We're not saints or rich but we feel better doing it this way.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Food banks or food shelf's scare me. Years ago, we lived across the street from one. I recall having difficulty finding a parking place sometimes.
It bothers me when I see Cadillacs, Lincoln's, BMW's and the like, waiting in line for free food. I have no problem with those who really NEED food, getting help. Two of those people actually told me "Hey, it's free. I might as well take it".
Several times, my wife and I have taken people we know need help to grocery stores or bought them a few clothes or helped with a utility bill.
We're not saints or rich but we feel better doing it this way.

I 2nd that TT..  seen it that way too many times so I help where I know it will do good..  as least I hope so...   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree, we have some great programs for those that need it but there are always parasites with no pride that will go there and take food that more needy people should get.  Etc.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Overlooked.elderly, they dont need a new sweater, bread maker, dishes, electric blanket. Give them a grociery card, pay a utility bill, gas card, full thiere propane tank, that what would make a difference duri g the holidays
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Great idea boarski and other's,seniors can always use a helping hand,financial,grocery etc...good thought.
« Last Edit: November 11/24/21, 10:41:19 AM by snow1 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Great idea boarski and other's,seniors can always use a helping hand,financial,grocery etc...good thought.
I'm a senior. :sleazy: :rolleyes: in need of beer and minnow money. :smoking: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yur a senior
dinggle berry...
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
I have seen some of those "free" food options and have refrained from using them.  I used to work the Postal food drive at our Neighbors food shelf here in SSP and know some of the workers there.  We had a good time unloading the mail trucks and were amazed at times what was given.  To get good from Neighbors, you have to pass the criteria.  What is asked, I don't know, but they do have certain guidelines.