Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ice conditions  (Read 33628 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
all them houses and trucks...    :tut:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Slow learners?????

:tut: :tut: :tut:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
hey JB........when you were fishing last week....how much ice did you have under you??????

i'm having a hard time believing by now the ice isnt safe enough on the small lakes i plan on being on next week!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We had 11-12" where we were fishing.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Wer hitting a local lake this weekend, do that till boars nest can get out.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We had 11-12" where we were fishing.
:scratch: I'm not sure that's enough for glenn & all his stuff. :confused:           ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thats great to hear JB!!!!!!!!

Gunner.......... :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Heard Lake Minnewaska basically opened up overnight.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
that lake gets hammered HARD......

if there is a silver lining to all this.....the fish have gotten a reprieve to all the early ice fishing pressure.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it's been close to 20 years since its been properly fished.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
that lake gets hammered HARD......

if there is a silver lining to all this.....the fish have gotten a reprieve to all the early ice fishing pressure.
Been my thoughts all along with the crummy ice. Although I don't wanna see water temps in the 70's come opener.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

i'm having a hard time believing by now the ice isnt safe enough on the small lakes i plan on being on next week!!!!
[/quote]

Well, glenn57 I just drove around Big Lake and there are only a few spots along the shore that have some ice. This ice only extends out 10 feet or so on a few places. The rest of the lake is entirely OPEN as in nice ripples on the water. I'm assuming this should be the latest "ice up" recorded.  :azn:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman

Well, glenn57 I just drove around Big Lake and there are only a few spots along the shore that have some ice. This ice only extends out 10 feet or so on a few places. The rest of the lake is entirely OPEN as in nice ripples on the water. I'm assuming this should be the latest "ice up" recorded.  :azn:
[/quote] There ya have it Glenn,  might as well turn that harpoon into a gardening tool for weeding.. :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: such comedians.   :mooning: sounds like plenty of ice where I'm headed. :sleazy: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have not heard of anyone being rescued from Red in the last 48 hours. A. people are finally using some common sense or B. the cold weather made the ice thick enough to be safe. Most people must be thinking B since A is something most don’t have.  :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
cool!!   fished that lake many times!!!   good crappie and walleye lake and of course bullheads!!! 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
cool!!   fished that lake many times!!!   good crappie and walleye lake and of course bullheads!!!
sure....... :bonk: :pouty: now Iowaboys gonna be all over that bullhead thing!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have not heard of anyone being rescued from Red in the last 48 hours. A. people are finally using some common sense or B. the cold weather made the ice thick enough to be safe. Most people must be thinking B since A is something most don’t have.  :scratch:
Not sure about common sense. The sheriff had to shut it down.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
this was released not so long ago I think, well written...

Beltrami County Sheriff's Office
Good evening, not the Sheriff here, but Chris the PIO for the county.
There are a few valid questions, which while in the press release may not be clear based on some of the questions we are getting.
Resorts have been doing a good job checking ice conditions, while we will never wave a flag and say it’s safe… one thing is clear. The majority of the ice rescues we’ve conducted have been outside the areas marked by resorts to stay within by others who aren’t familiar with the lake or pushing the limits.
Attending the meeting today, it was obvious all sides have some level of frustration with what Mother Nature has dealt the region. Fishing and tourism are essential for the economy up here. So is public safety.
By limiting the access of motorized vehicles on the lake is an attempt to keep people from traversing into areas that are obviously, and in some cases, not so, obviously unsafe. Decisions have been made by consulting many reliable sources of information, data and observations. Since enacting the ban, there hasn’t been an ice rescue. We all hope this remains the case and the order can be lifted in a due time. Allowing resort owners to service their customers still affords those an opportunity to ice fish without having to walk… otherwise the lake is open for foot traffic.
With favorable ice making weather in the forecast, hopefully that wind stays calm and the lake heals. Following a record breaking warm December, lake ice will probably not achieve what we are accustomed to this year. If you venture on the ice, please follow safety recommendations and check the ice thickness frequently.
If you have further questions, please read the release that is posted. We will clarify as we are able to.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
sure....... :bonk: :pouty: now Iowaboys gonna be all over that bullhead thing!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You just KNEW glenn was lurking in the weeds on this one... :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

You just KNEW glenn was lurking in the weeds on this one... :rotflmao:
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :happy1:

Offline Bonus

• Outdoorsman
Ice fishing this year

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Did they lift the ban on URL? :confused: I see 1 SxS & a pickup out there now on the Big Bog camera.  :doah:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline MNXplorer

• Minnow
I see the pickup but not the SxS..... wonder if the pickup is one of the outfitters out of Hillman's road taking folks out to a rental???    Or is that the SxS next to the pickup, can't quite make it out......
Ban has not been lifted, believe Beltrami County will review some time next week again.
« Last Edit: January 01/05/24, 11:50:31 AM by MNXplorer »