Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tangle Tooth... a meeting of the bourbon council  (Read 2815 times)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
It was bound to get around to this sooner or later.

What is your bourbon of choice these days?

Online tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Lots to choose from. I have several bottles of Jim Beam but I also enjoy Wild Turkey, Makers Mark and some Woodford Reserve. Four Roses is pretty good, too. Someday I would like to sample some Pappy Van Winkle. I can't afford that, though.
I have some Crown Royal here, too.
How about you?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
These days I've been sipping from a bottle of Gentlemen Jack. 

Jim Beam Black Extra Aged is my "everyday" even though I don't partake anywhere near every day.  They did something to their process to speed up "aging."  The old Jim Beam Black used to be 8 years, but I'm sure they figured out how to make Black "Extra Aged" in much less time.  The price has crept up a buck or two since I started buying it, but overall, it is a good value. 

I got to tour Jim Beam distillery a while back.  It was a very impressive operation - watching alcohol run out of their still pipe like water out of a storm drain.  ...And to see the number and size of the barns holding the casks.  You assume it has to happen somewhere, but to see it in person is neat.

I've sampled a couple of cask strength offerings and the "tasting" can get quite sophisticated:  notes of caramel and vanilla and oak, etc., etc., etc.  If I can narrow in on one, I might bite the bullet and get one for the holidays. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If I my interject here, I have been trying this....and it's quite good for a change of pace...

https://shopstandardproofwhiskey.com/?utm_source=Dec%201&utm_medium=email&utm_id=Holiday%20Hero%20&_kx=xbWptSkZ_NQT2j_GQbHdqbKVgRUyfdue_pqsq6P9_Rk%3D.RNeHzA
Thanks. That looks good. I may have to spend some time looking around this site. I have never had rye. Maybe there should be a MNO alcohol sampling get together. If we call it alcohol group therapy, maybe insurance will pay for it.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So far, the straight rye whiskey is my favorite (but, expensive for what you get, but REALLY good)

I have tried most of the flavors (except for the pumpkin spice, just not my jam) and my first pick, and I really like it, is the Texas pecan! Then, it would be the Wildflower.... just me though...  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I love good hi end burbon. Part of the reason i cant drink anymore
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
As for a sipping whiskey I go with old Grandad. Normally I’m just a rye guy, favorite is Jim beam rye or  wild turkey rye mixed with Schweppes ginger ale, it’s sweeter than Canada Dry ginger ale.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
So far, the straight rye whiskey is my favorite (but, expensive for what you get, but REALLY good)

I have tried most of the flavors (except for the pumpkin spice, just not my jam) and my first pick, and I really like it, is the Texas pecan! Then, it would be the Wildflower.... just me though...  :happy1:

Who carries that brand, HD?  I don't recall seeing it in stores.

Looking at all the choices, I'd have guessed the Texas pecan might have been the one to try, but you never know until you get a taste.

I tried a "peach" bourbon from these guys.  Their schtick is to put barrel staves from different kinds of casks in with the whisky barrels to finish them off.  That bottle I had used staves from a peach barrel.  You'd have never guessed it was peach unless you read the label - barely discernable - but excellent.  When I went back for a second bottle, that run was gone forever.  The guy at the store said their next offering wasn't as good.  It is best when you can try before you buy - or at least find someone who can describe all the differences to you and offer some knowledgeable recommendations.  Still, keep you eyes out for these guys because they have the potential to come up with some really unique bourbon.

https://www.brokenbarrelwhiskey.com/

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'm a brandy guy.
#metoo!!!!! old mr boston 5 star to be exact!!!!!!! :happy1: AND i dont/cant drink it straight up. :tut: mixed with 7up!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Mr. Boston here too!!  my mix of choice is water...  good stuff..  I have had many bourbons and whiskeys but always settle back on brandy...  in fact that was one of errands yesterday..  it is on sale this week at West Side...     :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Old Grand Dad ismy go to bourbon on the rocks. I also like rye but a good rye whisky is pretty high priced. The kids and I had a couple bumps of Korbel brandy whilst shooting some snooker on Thanksgiving, that was good also.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It's Jim Beam for me with a water press, I'll sub in ginger ale instead of 7up quite often. We can get JB Black up north, on sale + rebate @ Super 1 in GR for ~ $27, for about $20 < than down here, so that's my go to on the rocks most often.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Who carries that brand, HD?  I don't recall seeing it in stores.

Looking at all the choices, I'd have guessed the Texas pecan might have been the one to try, but you never know until you get a taste.

I tried a "peach" bourbon from these guys.  Their schtick is to put barrel staves from different kinds of casks in with the whisky barrels to finish them off.  That bottle I had used staves from a peach barrel.  You'd have never guessed it was peach unless you read the label - barely discernable - but excellent.  When I went back for a second bottle, that run was gone forever.  The guy at the store said their next offering wasn't as good.  It is best when you can try before you buy - or at least find someone who can describe all the differences to you and offer some knowledgeable recommendations.  Still, keep you eyes out for these guys because they have the potential to come up with some really unique bourbon.

https://www.brokenbarrelwhiskey.com/
I get it right from Standard. They ship FedEx to your door.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
What no "Jameson" guyz here?,seen one nod for "makers mark" oh the good old days...

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Doesn't it go without saying that Jameson is for special occasions, like...

Morning coffee?   :happy1:

We were gifted a short bottle of Makers Mark 46, which is half gone now.  But unfortunately I can't remember what I thought of it.  That is one of the ones I'm saving for the holidays.

Otherwise - and I think I have this right...  the whisky guy at the liquor store recommends MM 101 as a good value option compared to their full cask strength offerings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mr. Boston here too!!  my mix of choice is water...  good stuff..  I have had many bourbons and whiskeys but always settle back on brandy...  in fact that was one of errands yesterday..  it is on sale this week at West Side...     :happy1:
yep... Needed full jug for my trip north!!! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
What no "Jameson" guyz here?,seen one nod for "makers mark" oh the good old days...
We'll usually have a bottle of Jameson sittin around up at the lake. That usually lasts a while though as it's just sampled now & then.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We'll usually have a bottle of Jameson sittin around up at the lake. That usually lasts a while though as it's just sampled now & then.
Yea you guys are goofy enough. :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: You been eatin MORE BALONEY? :nerd: :confused:              :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Drinkin days it was "crownin down and beamin up"....then fireball came along.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Boar introduced me to that fireball. :wowza: :wowza: there is a reason I don't buy it.  :tut: :tut:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Becky get all the good fireballs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman