Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Question for the retired folks.  (Read 4026 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      If the urge to find a part-time job got too strong, what kind of job would you get?
      I spent years in facilities maintenance. Almost exclusively in IAQ and building automation as an HVAC/R tech. I still keep my electrical license and my boiler license. I probably would look for something totally unrelated to this. Not sure what, though.
      Some jobs that sound like fun would be making donuts at the local Casey's. Flipping burgers doesn't sound too bad either. Thought maybe a job at TSC might be fun but I was told by one of their employees that EVERYONE has to run the cash register. Not for me.
      Your thoughts?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought of the local Hardware Store.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought of maybe bait shop.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I think driving a school bus would be ideal. No weekends and summers off. The only negative is putting up with the A hole kids.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there 's always place's looking for volunteers too...  just sayin...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Worked as a greenskeeper & in lawncare quite a bit & kind of liked both of those or something like a L & M. I've talked to a couple of their workers & they treat their people pretty good.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
In my case looking for a P/T gig in my small town,tried the city first,then the county as not willing to look for big city jobs,no luck,just a old fart... run a snow plow/winter grass cutter/summer.

this thread has me thinking about our doggy daycare shelter,they usually need dog walkers and auto parts need delivery drivers....not serious yet but these options are possible

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I know a couple of guys who run auto parts deliveries and another guy who drives cars across country for clients who didn't want to do it themselves and then he flies home.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I know a couple of guys who run auto parts deliveries and another guy who drives cars across country for clients who didn't want to do it themselves and then he flies home.

After 30 years in the car business,clients all over the country,thought about running cars as well,but refuse to get on a plane these days. :thumbs: but good thought steve-o,thanx

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
For you retired or near retired guys don't forget volunteer work. There are many opportunities through Church, Civic and other organizations such as AARP and MDHA (Minnesota Deer Hunters Association). Volunteering through these organizations can be very rewarding albeit generally not financial. For the past 13 years I volunteered for the AARP TaxAide program. I started out preparing taxes several days a week and currently am the Location Coordinator for a prep site. Fortunatly most of this work is done from Feb - April during which time I generally "work" 30-40 hours per week. December and January involve many hours of training and preparing for the actual tax preparing.  Also, I am an active member of a MDHA chapter. I am the treasurer and volunteer time for the annual banquet, manning booths at various outdoor expos, assisting a youth mentored deer hunt, and working with other groups on various outdoor experiences. Fortunately, I can squeeze in plenty hunting and fishing when I am not involved in one of these other "jobs". 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds like full time DE.   :happy1:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm hoping to be healthy when I retire so I can spend my time in my woodworking shop doing jobs of my choosing.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I'm going through that phase now. Retired and bored silly. I delivered RV's out of Indiana for a few months, it was OK but not much money to be made as you only get paid when you are hooked up to a camper. So it's deadhead from where you drop off back to Indiana. Plus it was 750 miles from Gods country just to get to Indiana.

In a perfect world I would ride a mower and cut grass in the summer part time. Maybe 3-4 days a week. Thought about buying a snowplow for the truck (still might) and plowing snow around town but by the time you fork out 8-9 grand for a plow just to beat up your truck....I don't know if that makes sense either.

Does anybody do any piecework from home, maybe assemble tackle and package it?
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm going through that phase now. Retired and bored silly. I delivered RV's out of Indiana for a few months, it was OK but not much money to be made as you only get paid when you are hooked up to a camper. So it's deadhead from where you drop off back to Indiana. Plus it was 750 miles from Gods country just to get to Indiana.

In a perfect world I would ride a mower and cut grass in the summer part time. Maybe 3-4 days a week. Thought about buying a snowplow for the truck (still might) and plowing snow around town but by the time you fork out 8-9 grand for a plow just to beat up your truck....I don't know if that makes sense either.

Does anybody do any piecework from home, maybe assemble tackle and package it?
I grew up in northern Indiana. Elkhart, to be exact. Used to know guys who would deliver motor homes. They had to pay for bus fare to get back home so I have no idea how they made money.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Next May 1st and I'm done!   :happy1:

I'm not sure ill be bored. With hunting and fishing, I like to refurbish stuff and flip it for side cash! Which works out well cuz I spend it on hunting and fishing!  :azn:
One of my jobs was working in fiberglass at 3 shops for about 20 years.  I've picked up a few very beat up old Harley golf carts and a few sleighs and fixed them up and sold them.  Got my first retirement project sitting in the yard which I will fix up and resell next fall when folks are looking for them.  No before just after pictures on the golf carts.
So, I'm not sure Ill have time to be bored.  Plus I just picked up a new Crossbow to give that a shot next fall.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: December 12/10/21, 03:12:25 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
If ya got your boiler's license... get a job at a college or school....

Me, I've got another 3 1/2 years left before retirement. I'm thinking more like working at Menards on the weekends.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Me, I've got another 3 1/2 years left before retirement. I'm thinking more like working at Menards on the weekends.

I'm like work on the weekends, why would you work on the weekends??  :doah:
Oh, I forgot there are no weekends when you retired!  :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I did work at schools. A couple of them, in fact. I really enjoyed it.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

I'm like work on the weekends, why would you work on the weekends??  :doah:
Oh, I forgot there are no weekends when you retired!  :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Cause if I worked on the weekends, I get to fish all week without the idiots at the landing  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm going to take my chances dealing with boredom at first. I worked at big chain lumber yard 35 yrs ago and said I'd never do it again after watching lots of retirees getting stuck working more than they wanted. I'll keep an open mind and my health card upto date if any company needs a partime driver but that's about it. Momma was thinking on scooping her parents winter place in Phoenix someday so we'll eventually be snowbirds..

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been retired too long.  I thought at times about doing something part time, but help the grandkids with their jobs during the summer, plus their baseball, now some winter sports and during the nice months do volunteer grave stone cleaning at a local cemetery with some other locals here.  Sometimes, I get very bored, but we play some cribbage and I collect cans for the grandkids graduation presents.  Winter is tougher though.  But, I do have some snow to shovel today.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember riding in a few of those HD golf carts Leech~~ & they would really fly if one made a couple little adjustments to the carburetor.  :rolleyes: With that 3 wheel steering they could even be a little dangerous, sometimes.  :crazy:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've thought about volunteering here at the local animal shelter.  I have heard that you get stuck doing more days cuz people call in because of vacations etc. so you end up doing more than you really want.  That kind of scares me.  Other volunteering I have done ended that way.  I thought about the food shelf here but heard about all of the able bodied people that mooch food there and that would piss me off and change my opinion of those people so the wife said I should pass on that.   :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: December 12/11/21, 09:25:38 AM by LPS »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember riding in a few of those HD golf carts Leech~~ & they would really fly if one made a couple little adjustments to the carburetor.  :rolleyes: With that 3 wheel steering they could even be a little dangerous, sometimes.  :crazy:
Yep I always adjusted or removed the governors on them.  :happy1:
And yes many a drunk went flying off on a fast carve.   :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you too??    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

askin for Glenn!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I like to read and have done more reading and have discovered how much great stuff is on You tube.  That sometimes gets me motivated to go out and do stuff too. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
You Tube & Books motivate me to sit in my chair all day. Although I will look out the window at the birds once in a while.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:   That too DB.