Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bleed or not to bleed?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The new "craze" is to bleed your fish. Attached is a photo of filets that have been bled, and some that have not.

I personally have not noticed a difference..... how about you? What is your opinion?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I don't, fish taste fine by me!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Before I head in I cut the gill on each fish and leave the livewell on.  Or I throw them on the ice to bleed out.  It is surprising now small amount of blood comes out of a fish.  BUT when you fillet them there is no blood making more of a mess.  Especially if the fish is still alive and flopping around.  Big difference to me.  I fillet right on the kitchen countertop next to the sink. And the fillets are cleaner.   

I just started doing it a couple of years ago and it may have been from something that was on the front page here.
« Last Edit: December 12/24/21, 06:33:40 PM by LPS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The new "craze" is to bleed your fish. Attached is a photo of filets that have been bled, and some that have not.

I personally have not noticed a difference..... how about you? What is your opinion?

I see three fillets that are white. The rest are more red.
« Last Edit: December 12/24/21, 06:35:48 PM by LPS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We've been doing it for a while, it does shorten it up a bit running water over the filets after cleaning.  Usually during open water they get chin sliced then put in a bucket to bleed out. Works good if ya ax me.. :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Cookie cuts em, i dont cause i forget to, taste? Everything deepfried taste the same. Just less mess.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't cut them either. Just end up with a big mess in the bucket then.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Bleed all but pan fish.   Taste is about the same.  Less mess while cleaning. Also much easier and safer cleaning a dead fish.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
How early are people “bleeding” their fish? Hours before cleaning them? Minutes?  I’d think a fresh fillet would taste better than a fish that’s been dead for hours but if freezing, probably no different.

To me, fish hardly bleed when cleaning so I don’t see the point.

2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How early are people “bleeding” their fish? Hours before cleaning them? Minutes?  I’d think a fresh fillet would taste better than a fish that’s been dead for hours but if freezing, probably no different.

To me, fish hardly bleed when cleaning so I don’t see the point.
i agree pulleye!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Glenn ya got catch fish to clean them...sheesh!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When in a boat I cut them right before I head in and leave the livewell pump on to purge them.  I cut them and throw them out the door when ice fishing.  Put the in the bucket when I leave.  They don't have much blood in them. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I cut myself all the time...oh carp! This is about fish... :doah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eclbaC3q94k 

« Last Edit: December 12/25/21, 09:16:32 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Heck of a good movie.  May have to rewatch it.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
About the only time I bleed 'em is on the ice especially if I'm staying out for a while.We rebuilt Dad's livebox a few years ago so the open water  :fish2: go in there unless I know they won't make it. If any in the boat get stuck, it's usually those.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Has no idea this was a "thing". Starting out trout fishing in rivers & streams to ponds & lakes later on about all we did was conk them out 1st before cleaning them then wash & rinse them thoroughly. Panfish & everything or just walleyes & nords?  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dotch, if i would do this, i would think the walleyes and nords????? but i dont. like pulleye stated earlier........i am of the belief the longer the fish stay alive the better. fish are probably the fastest decomposing type of "meat" there is. you can sure tell when cleaning them. during the heat of the summer, when i get off the lake i have an old cooler i throw the fish in, if i dont have ice with me, and i usually do, or i stop and buy some ASAP, and throw it on the fish.

AND contrary to boars comments, i've cleaned alot of fish!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

i try and get them cleaned also ASAP. rinse them well, then get fresh water on them and let them sit in the frig overnight.......put fresh water on them and then they hit the freezer!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
About the only time I bleed 'em is on the ice especially if I'm staying out for a while.We rebuilt Dad's livebox a few years ago so the open water  :fish2: go in there unless I know they won't make it. If any in the boat get stuck, it's usually those.
back in the day we had one of them to. but occasionally a critter would get in it!!!!! :angry2: :rotflmao:

they work good in spring and fall when the water is colder, not so much in the heat of summer.....at our place anyway........we are in a shallow bay. i could see where yours would work good gunner being your bay is deeper..........AND that took alot of courage to agree with you!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nerd: :rolleyes:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Even then, when the surface temps get up there, usually ~ 75* for us, I'll check 'em everyday if there's any in there. I'll move the livebox deeper as the water warms too as I like it in at least 2-3' of water in July & August. We have a small piece of wood we can turn for a lock.
« Last Edit: December 12/26/21, 05:30:20 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
None issue with with blood in our camp,when we fillet we work around the rib cage,don't cut through it....hence no blood, plus the sharp knife edge lasts longer not cutting through the ribs.

couple buds,serious trout fishermen,for years fishing with these yahoo's when they decided to keep a couple trout for dinner which was a rare event itself,they always gilled the fish which bleed them out