Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tree Order....  (Read 1755 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I just put in my annual tree order from the county. The bare root seedling trees went up $10 per 25 (which is understandable)
So, I only ordered 50 red pines

Mama wanted some red flowing crab apple trees.....so, I ordered 2 at $56 per bare root tree....That's the one that seemed a little pricey

Then out of a bug up my ass... I ordered a Contender peach tree from Gurney's....it's suppose to be good through Zone 4 (and we are on the boarder line) So, we'll see......
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that peach tree would be neat if it matures for sure!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Hd how tall are those flowering crab trees ?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Hd how tall are those flowering crab trees ?

6ft
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice size.  I bought a couple last year here that were 10 feet tall and I had to pay about $120 ea. 

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
The trees they are selling up here are about 12' tall and I figure it would take several years for them to get to any size.   That is provided you could keep the deer from trimming them down.   They for sure would have to be fenced. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, I have to fence everything here.

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I ordered 600 trees from the state forest nursery and another 100 from the county.  After spending all my time last summer building a cabin, I am looking forward to getting back to improving the habitat at my place.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I ordered 600 trees from the state forest nursery and another 100 from the county.  After spending all my time last summer building a cabin, I am looking forward to getting back to improving the habitat at my place.
thats one heck of a pile of trees!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
700 trees????

Must be machine planting. :confused:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Haha no.  They are all 12-18", so basically sticks.  I have 2 teenagers and 2 planting bars and we can do about 100 trees/hour with that.  Also, I'll probably only use 75% of the trees from the state nursery because you have to order them in quantities of 100/species and I don't need quite that many.  I usually give the leftovers to the neighbors.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What survives the best when you do that.  Just walk around and stick trees in with that planter?  That sounds smooth. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Haha no.  They are all 12-18", so basically sticks.  I have 2 teenagers and 2 planting bars and we can do about 100 trees/hour with that.  Also, I'll probably only use 75% of the trees from the state nursery because you have to order them in quantities of 100/species and I don't need quite that many.  I usually give the leftovers to the neighbors.
what flavor of trees you usually get......HD said pines!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
3 years ago we planted 800 white spruce and I'd say 70% of them are alive and well today.  The biggest killer I had was probably the grass and weeds choking them out but I also lost some to ants, gophers and poor soil.   They would have done better yet but I just didn't have the time/ability to take care of them well.  Now that my cabin is done, that won't be an issue.  Considering how I neglected them I am pleased with how they did and I have plenty of small trees on the rest of my property that I can transplant to replace the dead ones.

No pines this year as I am trying to put some more food options on my property.  I ordered the "wildlife pack" from the state forest nursery with chokecherry, nannybeery, dogwood and wild plum, along with some oaks.  From the county I ordered 25 each of maple, black cherry, juneberry and crabapple.  Looking forward to spring!

Here's a short video showing how to use a planting bar.  It goes really quick with 2 bars.  Son #1 makes the holes, son #2 stuffs the trees in the holes and I come behind and close the holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQE4wPNjQK0

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very cool.  Thanks for that info.