Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50422 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks like you are getting some weather there Glenn....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
looks like you are getting some weather there Glenn....
yep.........and my wife just lost her survivor show!!!!!!!!!1 :super smiley: :super smiley: :clap: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Holy crappers is it ever pouring here. :confused: :surrender: hope my garden doesn't get drowned out!! :confused:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pear trees are in full bloom today. 🍐
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Thought I'd check around,  FF had the Amish paste and San Marzano tomatoes I've been looking for to go with Roma's for spaghetti sauce.  And ya know the prices where pretty good compared to the big H box store.. sooo while I was at it picked up a handful of bell peppers and jalapenos that hit the ground,  the maters I'll wait a couple days just so the weather people have it more dialed in. Although everything is pretty small yet I could cover em with a ice cream pail if needed..

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Planted 40 new Strawberries, Beets, Purple Beans, Red potatoes, Russet Potatoes, a few more onions.

No transplants yet. Supposed to get into the mid 30's on Sat and Sun mornings. Frost warnings going to go out north of Grand Forks.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thought I'd check around,  FF had the Amish paste and San Marzano tomatoes I've been looking for to go with Roma's for spaghetti sauce.  And ya know the prices where pretty good compared to the big H box store.. sooo while I was at it picked up a handful of bell peppers and jalapenos that hit the ground,  the maters I'll wait a couple days just so the weather people have it more dialed in. Although everything is pretty small yet I could cover em with a ice cream pail if needed..
boober I'm not so sure plastic is a good thing to cover plants to keep from freezing??? That plastic stuff seems to draw cold.. :confused:

Don't ask me how I know!!! :doah:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
My Juneberry bushes are in full bloom. Frost possible on Sat and Sun mornings. Will have to cover them or lose all the berries. No more transplants going out until next week.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
no frost forecasted here. everything is popping outta the ground, seen signs of my carrots coming up!!!!!!!! :happy1: were off and running!!! :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mid to upper 30's in our 10 day.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The Bemidji 24/7 weather channel is sayin low to mid 30's for Saturday AM through Monday AM, so they have a frost advisory out. Surface temps already in the low 50's the neighbor said, so we shouldn't get that cold.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Apple trees have been full bloom the past several days and have been just loaded with blossoms opposed to last year, especially the Haralson. Crabapples are beautiful right now and the lilacs are just starting to open. Probably be their last year as they've become overgrown and ugly. When we planted them 30+ years ago, they were supposed to be a dwarf variegated variety. If that's the case, the full-sized ones would've been about 40' tall! :scratch: That clown at the nursery in Albert Lea was always pulling stuff like that and my wife worked there! When he'd run out of a variety a lot of times he'd just change the tags so no telling what you'd wind up with. Still one pine tree I have no idea WTH it is other than ugly. No wonder he went broke. :doah:  Pear trees are done flowering.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Creative way to move old stock. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Creative way to move old stock.

that's for sure!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They had quite the operation at one time and were related to the people who ran the Albert Lea Seed House. They guy at the Weed House used to come over with all this clean out from the small grain and they'd mix it in their potting soil. Mrs. Cheviot brought a sample home one time and it was almost all foxtail seed. I found an old sales pamphlet from there dating back into the 30's or 40's. They were pushing buckthorn like crazy and actually sold boxelder trees as well. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Goes to show that you can sell anything. Buyer beware.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mrs. Cheviot got a bunch of her planters and pots planted this past week. Some of them are actually for some upcoming weddings later this summer so those in particular have been sleeping inside the past couple nites.

I was so proud of myself back when I had COVID. I went thru the solar lites and made sure they all worked. There are 22 of them scattered around the property. I noticed one in the small garden had quit working. It had actually stayed out all winter and had been functioning super until recently. After weaning ewes and lambs today, while grilling some lunch for our help I decided to investigate. One of the rhubarb plants had grown over the top of it! :doah: Time for more pie!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: May 05/22/22, 09:47:08 PM by Dotch »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I got my raised beds all planted.

I put some of Glenn's Dill in, we'll see if it grows. For some reason, I always have a problem with growing it.

The other garden is all tilled and planted with a couple zucchini plants.
HD....any of that dill coming up??? mine is popping out of the ground, about an 1 inch tall now!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got my raised beds all planted.

I put some of Glenn's Dill in, we'll see if it grows. For some reason, I always have a problem with growing it.

The other garden is all tilled and planted with a couple zucchini plants.
HD....any of that dill coming up??? mine is popping out of the ground, about an 1 inch tall now!!!!!!!
Yup, it's about an inch tall here too.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We really like cukes out of the garden and something bit them right off.  Don't know if it is deer or rabbits.  Thinking deer cuz they nipped the tips off our apple trees.  We brushed the dogs so put the hair around the trees to see if it helps.  Also put up a trail cam to see if they come back. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Garden is coming along nicely  :happy1: spent the afternoon weeding!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a nice looking garden Glenn.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a nice looking garden Glenn.
thanks!! :happy1:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks good Glenn. What are the plants in circles???

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
*cough* smurfberries *cough*

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks good Glenn. What are the plants in circles???
cucumbers! Always planted them that way, we always called them hills!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
*cough* smurfberries *cough*
:rotflmao: watch it bubba, I got a post office in town too!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I feel fortunate. I finally got a chance to till the damn main garden up tonite after running my @$$ off for the corn and soybean gardeners! Too much on my plate. Need to get rid of even more of these sheep!  :angry: My early spring garden plans changed to fall gardening plans. Snap peas, greens and winter radishes work. I need to break up some yet for the vine crops but should be doable if the wife ever quits yapping on the phone! Not holding my breath on that one.  :angry2:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Finally! I got time to plant something without a flashlight! Last nite I planted 8 hills of cukes, 4 rows of beans, 2 rows of beets and 4 rows of Indian corn. When I finished I thought this will probably wind up being a wild turkey food plot. Sure as shooting, this morning a jake was already in it with another one right behind him. Shooed them out of there and planted 8 hills of buttercup squash. Turkeys are gonna think they're in the street scene from For a Few Dollars More if they keep that up. Already ornery & it wouldn't be above me to watch them dance.  :angry:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
gettem!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: