Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50794 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
My green beans baffle me??? The row looks like a jungle but only manage to find/ pick maybe  8-12 every 2-3 days. There's flowers galore. :scratch: :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I checked mine today and off of one plant that seems to be ahead of the others I got a nice big meal of beans.  Love them. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I picked another gallon bag worth off the last row last nite, washed them up & put them in the fridge. They're variable throughout the patch. They're planted in N & S rows & it looks like the heaviest yield is on the south end of the rows on both varieties where they have the most sunlight, not shaded by the canopy like the rest of the row. Like you said glenn, I've never seen a tangled mess of vines and leaves like that. They're planted in 30" rows and the rows are closed. You really have to work at it to find all the beans located underneath. The good news is it's made controlling the weeds a piece of cake. Nothing gets through. I'll be on the lookout for white mold now the weather has cooled down some and we have the potential for getting into a wetter weather pattern starting this weekend. Same with area soybeans.

Cucumbers are struggling. Looks potentially like cucurbit downy mildew but I've got to do a little more investigative ID work to confirm it. If it is, my treatment options are limited. Kinda makes sense tho given our rainfall pattern. When it's been dry, no problem. After we get doused by a rain, within a week or so, problem. Where the vines have managed to climb up on the fence surrounding the beans, they still look fairly healthy. So far it's leaving the rest of the vine crops alone.     
« Last Edit: August 08/04/22, 10:38:12 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my red onions. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
nope.....in my mind not read to pull!!!!!! onins will do just that........grow out of the ground somewhat. the tops actually look pretty green yet!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok good that is what I was thinking too. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I pulled all my onions a few days ago and they are drying now. I will rub off any dirt and tops and store them soon.  Dug the potatoes yesterday. The tops were totally gone, eaten by potato bugs. Surprisingly it was a very good potato crop.  Cukes continue to produce but not at the rate I expected. I can pick 6-10 a day but not buckets full like I would expect. I've been getting a good number of ripe tomatoes over the past week, but they are small.  Big ones should start soon. Like cukes I don't expect a bumper crop like previous years. Only difference I know of is this year I did not apply a second round of fertilizer like I had done in past years.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After the morning commotion and ahead of the rain, I planted a row of snap peas, 2 rows of red meat winter radishes and a row of white globe radishes. Picked a couple zucchini and it was starting to sprinkle. Lots of thunder so hopefully this planting comes up well. Haven't had the greatest luck getting it to rain after planting this year. Hopefully my luck is changing...🤞

Still have some greens and spring-type radishes to plant along with hoping to get a few more snap peas. Might see if they still have some at the Albert's Leaf Weed House. Otherwise I can order them online & get a couple different varieties as I've done in the past. Think my folks used to plant parsnips in the late summer-early fall. They needn't have bothered for me... :puke: 
« Last Edit: August 08/06/22, 01:39:37 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got done going thru the garden. Weed free again. Pulled some carrots, kalarabi and picked mater's, green beans and cukes. The ground is moist but I would say real wet.

Let it rain. Green beans are driving me nuts, Yea sometimes it doesn't take much, but damn as many flowers and gangbusters the plants are I can't get enough to fill a qt jar?? :confused: :doofus: :banghead:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I could mail you some... :whistling:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I could mail you some... :whistling:
:rotflmao: naw I'm good. They'll come around. I think!! :scratch:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Blanched kolarobi tonight, yield was 10 dinners worth.  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :doofus: wish my kalarabi looked that good!!!!!!!!

never did that..........always ate it raw right from the garden.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
HD gets all the good kohlrabi... :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so HD...what do youy do with it now?? freeze it?????/

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I was wondering the same thing. Do you cook with it?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
so HD...what do youy do with it now?? freeze it?????/

Just like anything else, you blanch it for 2 minutes, ice it for 2 minutes....and freeze.

Different kind of vegetable to change it up...
« Last Edit: August 08/07/22, 04:23:13 PM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd say something different. In all the years I've had the pleasure to grow and eat kalarabi never had it cooked. Always raw!!👍

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'd say something different. In all the years I've had the pleasure to grow and eat kalarabi never had it cooked. Always raw!!👍

So, what do you do if you have to many? let them rot?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn always gets all the rotten kohlrabi!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll let you know when I have to many!!! :rotflmao: between myself, my kids, mom and brother not to mention my uncle I never have to many

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
You gotta have a decent crop first.. sorry Mike made me say it..lol.  :moon: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/07/22, 06:06:16 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You gotta have a decent crop first.. sorry Mike made me say it..lol.  :moon: :rotflmao:
:pouty: got that right!! :banghead: :cheerleader: :banghead:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I like raw not so much cooked, just me...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I still got plenty growing, and it's only me and the wife.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My Dad used to grow kohlrabi.  We just sliced it and maybe put a shake of salt on it.  Was good.  Never had it cooked.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Haven't attempted growing them for a while but always liked them. Guess there's no reason they couldn't be cooked.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
you start them from seed HD, or cheat and buy plants?????/ :rolleyes:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
you start them from seed HD, or cheat and buy plants?????/ :rolleyes:
We already covered this smurfette....I bought plants this year. Last year I started them in the garage, and nobody ate them but me. I figured that in February, I'll still have kolarobi to eat while you're adding to your list of things you won't eat  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: well.... :scratch: :doah: you expect me to remember everything! :pouty: :rolleyes: