Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Great day chasing grouse in the woods  (Read 2419 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A friend and I had a great time yesterday. Weather was perfect for chasing grouse.  New light fluffy snow
showed fresh tracks and the birds held close.  We bumped quite a few deer in the process and saw many
fresh deer beds.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice D.E. , gotta love mid winter upland bird hunting,a skiff of fresh snow always always gets me giddy with shotgun in hand heading out always hoping for the best...Don't see a bird dog? does your buddy retrieve? take hand signals? curious....j/k.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
snow1,
Ha Ha. Now we had to do the locating, flushing, shooting (missing sometimes) and retrieving all by ourselves. No dogs involved which is probably why the birds held so close. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
So D.E

Are you saying you flushed these birds? hell glenn would've  ground balled them..Curious if you found the birds holed up in the fir tree's? been years since I hunted ruffies late season.

We,ve been whacking sharptail and praire chickens near my place but,not the best table fare like a ruff grouse,even after a full day in the slow cooker with cream of mushroom soup these birds have a gamey taste,buddies love them tho,I usually pass and hit the pheasant  like a duck on a june bug.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
You were chasing birds when you still have a tag in your pocket?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good point there dakids. In retrospect I should have gone bow hunting while my friend chased deer, er I mean grouse to me.  :rotflmao: