Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Save those fool hen feathers  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
ST. PAUL -- Spruce grouse hunters in northern Minnesota’s boreal forests can help with a genetics research project being conducted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in partnership with the University of Minnesota.

It’s the second year of the study, which wants hunters to turn in feathers from grouse they shoot. Last season, 111 individual samples were submitted and the DNR is hoping for more this season.

“Hunters who enjoy pursuing these birds are critical to the success of this project and our work to conserve this species,” said Charlotte Roy, DNR grouse research scientist. “Data collection for this project is simple and we hope to receive another 100-150 samples in this final year of the two-year project.”

Spruce grouse are a climate-sensitive species that rely on boreal forest habitats containing black spruce, jack pine and tamarack — all of which are expected to shift northward as temperatures increase.

With fewer of those key trees in northern Minnesota, scientists suspect that will mean fewer spruce grouse. The study will look to see where the grouse are still prevalent and whether they are genetically very similar across their range or isolated. If the genetics are similar, then scientists know the grouse are mixing well across the region. But if the genetics are unique and different, then the birds already are becoming isolated in pockets of habitat that are not connected. That’s already happening with sharptail grouse in Minnesota as their habitat declines.

Spruce grouse have declined so much in Michigan and Wisconsin that hunting them is no longer allowed there, and the birds are on those states’ lists of protected species. Oregon, too, stopped hunting them 45 years ago due to population concerns.

A male spruce grouse perched in a balsam tree. The Minnesota DNR is asking hunters to mail in tail feathers from spruce grouse shot this fall for a genetics study.

No one really knows how many spruce grouse remain in Minnesota. But Minnesota hunters do shoot thousands of spruce grouse each fall — somewhere between 7,000 and 20,000 annually over the past decade, according to hunter surveys.

What is pretty clear is that the bird’s range in Minnesota appears to be moving north. When once spruce grouse were found well south of Duluth, most now are found closer to the Canadian border.

Hunters who would like to assist with the project should collect three to five large wing or tail feathers along with the GPS coordinates of the harvest location. Don’t worry about revealing your favorite spot; harvest locations will not be made public. Hunters are asked to mail samples from each bird in a separate envelope and not mix feather samples from multiple birds.

This research project is funded by the Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources with dollars from the Environment & Natural Resources Trust Fund that gets money from the state’s lottery profits.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Shot/ate one spruce hen long ago,never again for table fare,aweful,must be the pine needle/cone diet,right up there with sharptail,another gamey bird,but some folks like sharpies and prarie chickens,just like some like eating diver ducks.To each they're own.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Silly boy! NEVER eat a Spruce grouse! I ate (tried) a mudhen on a dare once after duck hunting when i was a pupster. Tasted just like it's name.  :puke:

By the way....

https://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=32811.msg387381;topicseen#new

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I shot one a few years ago.  Same thing tasted terrible.  Will not shoot another one.  Nice looking bird though. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I was told to boil them in milk first to get the fat out of them. Have not tried it yet myself.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Me thinks the reason of so many spruce grouse are shot in minn,is they are a dumb bird,rarely flush,most are ground balled,only one I shot was in the BWCA years ago with a wrist rocket sling shot,figured "what the heck" a grouse is a grouse for dinner,boy was I wrong...,far cry from a ruff grouse taste wise.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No, they don't flush well, hang tight to the ground, they  think they're well hidden. My Brit would almost trip over them before he went into point. Do miss the upland birdie hunting, though.  :undecided:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed Reb,I live for bird hunting,it starts in september (early goose season) for me even tho dakota season opens august 15th,to warm,then pheasants until january 31st (sodak/nebraska) then spring snow geese starts in febuary in missouri,follow the migration north until mid april most years.

My days are numbered tho,old age and once my pup is gone (he's 9yrs) I might throw the towel in,already given alot my my gear away to young hunters that was just taking up space,I remember how hard it was at a young age to scrape up enough cash for dekes,ammo,etc.

But for now it's on,two weeks ago,an invite to nodak for a duck hunt,pic's won't down load here? to large maybe,we shot 8 species of ducks,youngens got into a good diver shoot,us old timer's big northern green heads in a nice comfy  A frame field blind,handful of lesser honkers and specs which was a great suprise.