Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2016 GMC 2500  (Read 9353 times)

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
The only reason I wanted the 1 ton was because of the price of tabs vs 3/4 ton. At the time it was $126 vs $500 plus for tabs.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
The only reason I wanted the 1 ton was because of the price of tabs vs 3/4 ton. At the time it was $126 vs $500 plus for tabs.

Ah no worries JB, nothin wrong with over kill,I'm a firm believer in heavy duty is always better,whether it's my firearms,ammo,utility rig etc, heavy duty = less wear and tear,as I stated above this new generation 1500 silverado with this new upgraded 3lit duramax engine has trailering spec's of 13k#s,if I had a 7,8 ,9 or10k# travel trailer and hit the road a few times/year I would most definately opt for a 2500 or even a 3500 even tho my 1500 could do the job at hand,but that's me...
« Last Edit: March 03/10/22, 11:26:45 AM by snow1 »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
While we're at it let's keep gabbing.  We all love our pickups but man the tabs are friggin crazy, that being said I'm leaning towards a 1 ton diesel next time around.  We got a new Ram 5500 with a Cummings at work and man it has some snap to it, and quiet. It won't be for a few years but sure wouldn't mind licensing being lower.

Bobber,1 ton trucks are deemed commercial GVW rating over 8600 lbs,commercial tags are pro rated in minnesota from febuary to febuary,today our commercial tags took a road tax bump thanx to walz of $20,so new  1 ton license fee's are $180/year.

FYI.
Yes I know that snow but with all the extra wheelage taxes they add in I would gladly pay 180 than what I've been paying since new. Mine have only dropped about 75 -80$ a year so if you do the math I've shelled out more in 5 years than I would in 10 with a one ton. This 3/4 ton has E rated tires so I might as well get the rest with a cheaper yearly bend over.  :happy1:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Hello gentlemen and Glenn.   It's been a bit but this thread caught my eye.   Always fun to talk trucks.  I usually trade every 3 years and it's about that time again.   I'm in the half ton market and usually buy what I think looks the coolest.   Currently in a 2019 ram Laramie sport with around 24000 miles.   The talk here about the chevy with the little duramax caught my eye.   I used to be a chevy guy but their quality since about 2007 has been terrible.  Even when I was looking at them in 2019 they seemed to be light years behind ford and ram.  I believe they have some lawsuits going on right now with their engine issues.   However with the new refresh it's looks like they might be catching up.   What are your guys thoughts?
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would actually go with a Ford, Ram, or GM depending what the deal was and what the truck looked like.  Have you ever had a Ram 2500 General?  I read that they get the best mileage. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Hello gentlemen and Glenn.   It's been a bit but this thread caught my eye.   Always fun to talk trucks.  I usually trade every 3 years and it's about that time again.   I'm in the half ton market and usually buy what I think looks the coolest.   Currently in a 2019 ram Laramie sport with around 24000 miles.   The talk here about the chevy with the little duramax caught my eye.   I used to be a chevy guy but their quality since about 2007 has been terrible.  Even when I was looking at them in 2019 they seemed to be light years behind ford and ram.  I believe they have some lawsuits going on right now with their engine issues.   However with the new refresh it's looks like they might be catching up.   What are your guys thoughts?
just maybe you should drive a bicycle!!!!!!!!!  :sleazy: :evil: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I would actually go with a Ford, Ram, or GM depending what the deal was and what the truck looked like.  Have you ever had a Ram 2500 General?  I read that they get the best mileage.

I've never owned anything other than a 1500 in any brand.   But if I did I think I'd go with the 3500 if the money worked and it saved me money on tabs.   What is the price difference between a 1 ton and a 3/4 ton all other options being the same?

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
just maybe you should drive a bicycle!!!!!!!!!  :sleazy: :evil: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I could barely pull my trailer with the tractor to till your garden then.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rolleyes: :shocked: well best get a truck then!!👍 :rotflmao:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
If you think Hotshot guys and RV delivery guys know anything, it's Dodge, Ford then anything GMC. Dodge has the Cummins, GMC has the Allison tranny, Ford has the Powerstroke & alum bodies. Ford also made inroads with their new 7.3 gas motors with the 10 speed automatic tranny.

The Dodge Cummins will outdo all the rest when it comes to mileage and it's not even close.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah well it's a dodge.... meh.agree about the only good thing about the dodge is the cummings engine,otherwise just a tin can.There I said it.We all have our likes and dislikes and are stead fast,ford or chevrolet,browning or remington etc.
« Last Edit: March 03/10/22, 07:28:49 AM by snow1 »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Exactly. They are all good, but I am a GM guy myself.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Dog spells Dodge

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do think GM's are the best looking of them too.  Saw a beautiful GMC Denali 2500 with 47,000 on it for $52,000 online yesterday.  It is a 2016.  Those Denali's are real spendy.  There was a 2021 Denali for $99,000.  Unreal.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The neighbor has 2019 Denali diesel that he said the sticker was $80,000 on. :rolleyes:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed LP,I priced out and compared the yukon xl and the chevy suburban with the 6.2lit engine (new)GMC  was about $20k more plus full time all wheel drive ,suspect denalis are the same(driveline wear and tear comes to mind and fuel cost) yukon has self leveling air suspenion,nice until air shocks crap out ,replacement cost at the time was $1000 for each shock,and hopes the air compressor won't crap out.But folks pay for the quality/name plate just like cadillac.

I've seen friday built chevrolet's come in with gmc name plates and even yukon badging on chevy tahoe's.Kinda like ford crown vic's and mercury marquies,same darn car's
« Last Edit: March 03/10/22, 07:47:15 AM by snow1 »

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Doing some reading last night as in watching a few YouTube videos I'm having some second thoughts on looking at a chevy.   The lawsuits seem to be legit and one would think if a new truck is going to be $60000 they could put quality parts in their engines and make them last.   I watched a couple videos that because of a cheap part the small duramax is having what is called a long start issue.   Make a guy think even if they fix the issue what else are they willing to cut corners on.   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn. Hopefully and easy fix and not a big issue 

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

I'm not an engineer but it does just look like if the part was made stronger it wouldn't bend and cause the issue.   However to fix on already on the road looks like a huge bill just for labor.   I also saw a belt I believe on the oil pump needs to be replaced at 150000 miles and the transmission has to be dropped.   That problem will never be mine but it will be someone's.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

I'm not an engineer but it does just look like if the part was made stronger it wouldn't bend and cause the issue.   However to fix on already on the road looks like a huge bill just for labor.   I also saw a belt I believe on the oil pump needs to be replaced at 150000 miles and the transmission has to be dropped.   That problem will never be mine but it will be someone's.

Calm down general,the new upgraded 3lit duramax ain't out yet,not until early summer,what you have read is most likely competitor warfare.I've checked with our heavy line guyz since I'm on the fence purchasing a 1500 with this 3lit diesel,to date not one powertrain issue in our shop,have yet to see one with 100k miles or more on the original 3lit engine.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I'm calm.   I would actually like to purchase one but I tend to over research things.   I believe the things I'm stating are real issues but maybe not.   YouTube 3.0 duramax long crank issue, it doesn't seem to be a bunch of competitors trying to bad mouth.  One of the videos even shows the teardown and the broken part.  I'm also well aware every company tries to cut corners where they can. If someone orders a new truck are you guys charging MSRP on trucks?

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm calm.   I would actually like to purchase one but I tend to over research things.   I believe the things I'm stating are real issues but maybe not.   YouTube 3.0 duramax long crank issue, it doesn't seem to be a bunch of competitors trying to bad mouth.  One of the videos even shows the teardown and the broken part.  I'm also well aware every company tries to cut corners where they can. If someone orders a new truck are you guys charging MSRP on trucks?

Again this updated powertrain hasn't hit the dealers yet is what I'm saying,most often anything new in our automotive industry has issues even tho month's of proto types on the street....you should see the nightmares 2020 year  chevrolets new mid engine corvette,today 2022 all ironed out.

Today all dealers get sticker price due to lack of inventory less any factory incentives,I've checked smaller mom n pop type dealers getting over sticker,also had word that a certain dealership up north charges  $2k extra to customers w/o a trade purchasing a truck,also extra charge iffin vehicle buyers don't finance thru dealer,have not confirmed this but wouldn't surprise me,bottom line general unless your in a need need new vehicle now I would wait until 2023 when hopefully things get back to normal,...but dealers nation wide are struggling all makes and are on the excutives big time,both new and used,this effects the repair shops as well,nothing to sell no warrenty or repair money coming in,just a shete show for all dealers
« Last Edit: March 03/11/22, 01:49:41 PM by snow1 »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
So in a nut shell don't buy GM  "G"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So in a nut shell don't buy GM  "G"
potty mouth!!!!!! :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Boy all this truck talk about 3/4 ton and one-ton diesels got me feeling a little self-conscience.  :rotflmao: I've been talking to my brother-in-law about swapping my 2014 F150 for his 2019 Ranger.  I bought the F150 from him when he bought the Ranger. He tells me he doesn't like the Ranger and it's been sitting for quite a while.  I would have to give him his truck back and some cash as well. It's a step down in size and my masculinity would take a hit but the Ranger is virtually new. When it warms up a bit we may swap trucks for a while. Maybe and extended test trial.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
DE you can just tell the guys you run into that your big rig is in the shop and that is your wifes truck.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That was a little Boarnize wasn't it.  LOL
« Last Edit: March 03/11/22, 07:03:00 PM by LPS »

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

Again this updated powertrain hasn't hit the dealers yet is what I'm saying,most often anything new in our automotive industry has issues even tho month's of proto types on the street....you should see the nightmares 2020 year  chevrolets new mid engine corvette,today 2022 all ironed out.

Today all dealers get sticker price due to lack of inventory less any factory incentives,I've checked smaller mom n pop type dealers getting over sticker,also had word that a certain dealership up north charges  $2k extra to customers w/o a trade purchasing a truck,also extra charge iffin vehicle buyers don't finance thru dealer,have not confirmed this but wouldn't surprise me,bottom line general unless your in a need need new vehicle now I would wait until 2023 when hopefully things get back to normal,...but dealers nation wide are struggling all makes and are on the excutives big time,both new and used,this effects the repair shops as well,nothing to sell no warrenty or repair money coming in,just a shete show for all dealers

Glad to hear they got the vette figured out in a couple years.  I honestly say this with zero disrespect as the guys around here who know me know I have zero bias on vehicles and have owned all of the big three and I’m sure will again.  But GM has yet to figure out the 5.3 since it was wrecked when AFM was introduced in 07.  It along with the 6.2 has another class action lawsuit. Listed......
But the GM class action lawsuit alleges the lifters malfunction and prematurely fail because of multiple reasons.

The lifters (including the locking pin) allegedly do not conform to design specifications, are installed in an incorrect position in the lifter guide and/or are made of sub-standard materials.

GM also allegedly didn't consider the expansion and contraction rates of the lifters and the engine block, and the bores in which the lifters are inserted have widths that allegedly do not allow for the necessary clearance of the lifter to move freely, which damages the lifters.

A GM lifter recall should also allegedly be ordered because the automaker allegedly "failed to account for the amount of increased pressure to which the AFM lifters are exposed by the pressurized oil used to operate the lifters, causing them to fail prematurely."

The plaintiffs further claim more valve train maintenance is needed, more than is advised in GM's maintenance guides.

This allegedly includes, "more frequent oil changes, engine flushing and cleaning and/or replacing the valve lifter oil manifold and its filter at regular intervals."

According to the class action lawsuit, GM allegedly replaces the defective parts with equally defective parts that continue to fail and cause a ticking noise from the engine. Additionally, the lifter problems can cause the vehicle to lose power, "hesitate, and the engine can misfire, stall, shudder, stutter, or surge."

So yes I really hope GM will fix whatever issue the little diesel has but even if they don’t it still might not stop me from buying it because in 3 years it will be someone else problem not mine and warranty would cover any issue I had.  I also know every other brand has their issues too.  I was thinking about getting the little ram diesel before I bought my current 2019 but they didn’t offer it in the new body style and it had a bunch of issues as well.  Ram also has the lifter tick in the 5.7 hemi that sounds like is caused by an inferior oil pump and too much idling and the fix is as simple as putting in a better pump.  Which they already have in the bigger hemi so it would be so easy to add but hey if they can save $10 on every oil pump and sell 1 million vehicles that’s 10million profit.  Who really cares about the customer.

I obviously don’t need need a new vehicle and haven’t even done much checking on prices but one would think that if a dealer is going to sell a truck today at MSRP or above that they would have sold 1 or 2 years ago at $10,000 off sticker price that just means that my trade in is worth $10,000 more too. So it should be a wash. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I really like my 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi.  I read that at about 50,000 the exhaust manifold bolts can fail and then they replace them with better bolts.  Well at about 48,000 mine started ticking and sure enough it was those bolts on the right side.  I had warranty on it so they fixed it for me.  I think they said it was a 4 or 5 hundred dollar deal. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
General,alot of what you stated is true from early days of AFM 07 thru 2010,also 1 in 5  5.3 engines had oil consumption issues,not a recall item just a bulletin that GM was aware of the issue and offered customers added trade value (rebate) or a fix,at first GM replaced defective engines then the banko then the fix but covered by the 100k powertrain warrenty,infact the fixed 5.3 engines were covered up to 150k back then and currently a none issue these days but GM recommends synthetice blend oil or 100%.,my last two chevy 1500's with the 5.3lit engine nary a problem both had well over 100k miles.

You bringing up old news reminds me of the mid 80's chevy pickup's with saddle fuel tanks...man that issue haunted GM for years...