Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2016 GMC 2500  (Read 11288 times)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
General,alot of what you stated is true from early days of AFM 07 thru 2010,also 1 in 5  5.3 engines had oil consumption issues,not a recall item just a bulletin that GM was aware of the issue and offered customers added trade value (rebate) or a fix,at first GM replaced defective engines then the banko then the fix but covered by the 100k powertrain warrenty,infact the fixed 5.3 engines were covered up to 150k back then and currently a none issue these days but GM recommends synthetice blend oil or 100%.,my last two chevy 1500's with the 5.3lit engine nary a problem both had well over 100k miles.

You bringing up old news reminds me of the mid 80's chevy pickup's with saddle fuel tanks...man that issue haunted GM for years...

I don't think December 2021 is that old of news.  But you didn't mention anything about that.   Only reason I brought up the oil consumption issue is because I know of people still having the issue with a 2018 5.3.  He figures this year he will be over the "its within specs to burn a quart of oil every 3000 miles".  He may have said a different number on the miles but I'm pretty sure he said 3000.  Could he be the only guy with issues, I guess so.   
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
our shop tells me 1 qt /1000 miles is GM's normal,I'm thinking your research from 2021 is old news from 2007-2010 is my guess but who know's?,nothing alarming to date from 2010 and my personel trucks,must be hit or miss,nothing is perfect in our vehicles,when I first started considering the 3lit diesel 3 years ago  I backed off as I'm in the boonies in south dakota once I make the move permanent don't want issues,after consulting with our shop mgr (master tech) he claimed the few 3lit engines that come thru the shop were in for general maintainence only,then I thought why pay an extra $5k for the diesel powertrain as I don't trailer anything heavy and once full time in south dakota,won't drive much either,so I priced out a 4.3lit v-6 1500 regular cab 4x4,$22k with my discounts and rebates back then,walked thru the shop that day and there was a 2019 work truck v-6 (4.3litengine) up on a rack chatted with the tech,truck had 33k miles,engine was toast shot that deal.

The more I kick idea's around for a new truck I might end up with a crew cab colorado,again I chatted with the shop mgr about my thoughts,first thing he tells me "oh you don't want the colorado.

Me: why not? issues?

mgr: nothing I can point out but little things...

Me; like what?

Mgr...no answer. just stuff.

I baby my rigs but sure don't want issues down the road,some things are unavoidable no matter what.

my current little honda grocery getter has 200k miles,tranny fluid has never been changed,I bought this car in 2004 for my mother new,she passed on and I took this little rice burner from my dad when he went to senior care.as much as I hate driving this little car she runs great no rust never hits speeds over 60mph,35mpgs,down side is city driving in a small car,shete happens to fast.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have looked at the plain jane work trucks before too.  No carpet and not a lot of options.  I sure like electric windows though.  Much cheaper and less to go wrong.  But in the end I spend more for a nicer truck. 

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Snow, my 2021 research is the current lawsuit I listed above for inferior lifters in the 5.3 and 6.2. 

1 quart for every 1000 miles is acceptable and normal? WOW is about all I can say to that. 

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I have looked at the plain jane work trucks before too.  No carpet and not a lot of options.  I sure like electric windows though.  Much cheaper and less to go wrong.  But in the end I spend more for a nicer truck.

You should you worked hard all your life so enjoy my friend.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Almost choked on my spit, i thought you wer quoting glenn.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Almost choked on my spit, i thought you wer quoting glenn.

Yeah right. Good one. :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: you 2 paper and pen pushers couldn't hold a candle to this auld phart!;! :mooning  :rotflmao::
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow, my 2021 research is the current lawsuit I listed above for inferior lifters in the 5.3 and 6.2. 

1 quart for every 1000 miles is acceptable and normal? WOW is about all I can say to that.

Yeah no kidding,I suspect GM's pocket book is tight these day's ,no sales business to speak of.

My guess again on this law suit you speak of will continue to resurface next year...copy right  2022 as nothing new relating to lifter issues in our shop or my personel trucks,seems GM's  recommendation for newer trucks to use dextos1 semi synthetic oil or 100% mobil 1 is the easy fix these days.

I remember couple years ago ford having it's issues with they're faulty advertising on the v-6 eco boost.boasting 25mpg,big time false advertising suit,plus turbo's shot between 60-70k miles just out of powertrain warrenty,north dakota dealer lot's were full of these v-6 trucks from oil patch workers commuting many miles from motels to field work everyday,these trucks were lucky to get 13-15mpg's,shete happens.Most of these guys reverted back to fords  small v-8 engines.

I'm curious if GM's new 4cyc turbo in these 1500 trucks sell,I drove one, gutless unless you put your foot into it and the turbo kicks in,guessing these turbo's will crap out down the road as well.
« Last Edit: March 03/16/22, 06:58:23 AM by snow1 »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

Agreed LP,I like the vinyl floor as well,just hose it down to clean,you can order a chevy work truck with a convience package to get power windows,door locks,cruise control or order the LT1 with a vinyl floor to get a nicer cloth interior seat or buckets ,better stereo,auto start etc,about $3k more than the work truck.
« Last Edit: March 03/16/22, 06:59:34 AM by snow1 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The neighbor has 2019 Denali diesel that he said the sticker was $80,000 on. :rolleyes:
Just an FYI, I talked to the neighbor this morning already & asked him about his truck................................it is a 2019 GMC Denali 2500 with the Duramax & a 6 speed transmission.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We almost got a 2019 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax when we bought our truck. We would have had to go out to Dickenson ND to get it. At the end of 2019 the had them reduced 25% and the price was 62k. We ended up getting the 2020 that showed up.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
gunner,nice rig....I've seen  a chevrolet 2500 "high country pkg" diesel loaded to the max with a $98k sticker....crazy! I've seen young couples purchase a nicely equiped suburban leave the dealership with a $2000/mo truck payment...yikes.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
We almost got a 2019 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax when we bought our truck. We would have had to go out to Dickenson ND to get it. At the end of 2019 the had them reduced 25% and the price was 62k. We ended up getting the 2020 that showed up.

Curious JB,is your trailer truck a dually?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you have an 8 spd tranny in that 2000 JB?

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

Yeah no kidding,I suspect GM's pocket book is tight these day's ,no sales business to speak of.

My guess again on this law suit you speak of will continue to resurface next year...copy right  2022 as nothing new relating to lifter issues in our shop or my personel trucks,seems GM's  recommendation for newer trucks to use dextos1 semi synthetic oil or 100% mobil 1 is the easy fix these days.

I remember couple years ago ford having it's issues with they're faulty advertising on the v-6 eco boost.boasting 25mpg,big time false advertising suit,plus turbo's shot between 60-70k miles just out of powertrain warrenty,north dakota dealer lot's were full of these v-6 trucks from oil patch workers commuting many miles from motels to field work everyday,these trucks were lucky to get 13-15mpg's,shete happens.Most of these guys reverted back to the small v-8 engines.

I'm curious if GM's new 4cyc turbo in these 1500 trucks sell,I drove one, gutless unless you put your foot into it and the turbo kicks in,guessing these turbo's will crap out down the road as well.

One would think manufacturers would be able to get a turbo right.  They have been around for decades.  These manufacturers need to stop cutting corners on important things.  However the only way that will happen is if people stop buying their products.  Yet here I am looking at another truck.  Too bad one manufacture couldn’t build a truck that will last like a Camry.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Couldn't agree more General,ford claims they're dual turbo's run at an alarming 2400revs per minute,that's bookoo wear n tear in my view.

I miss the old days,small block v-8,5spd manuel tranny,crank windows etc,this was before we had 8 track tapes.A/C was the windows rolled down at 50mph.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yet here I am looking at another truck.  Too bad one manufacture couldn’t build a truck that will last like a Camry.
They do...  It's called a Tacoma.  ;)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I have yet to see a rice burner truck with a 8' plow,I did see a toy truck pull up with a ranger 619 at a lake access to launch his rig,toy truck really grunted backing up and the trailer tongue weight had the rear bumper 12"s off the ground,besides can't get my big ares in one of these toy trucks,both dodge and ford have spacious rear seating last time I looked at full size crew cabs.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
is Tacoma full size??   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Curious JB,is your trailer truck a dually?
No, just single rear wheels on my truck.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you have an 8 spd tranny in that 2000 JB?
It has the 10 speed tranny in it.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have yet to see a rice burner truck with a 8' plow,I did see a toy truck pull up with a ranger 619 at a lake access to launch his rig,toy truck really grunted backing up and the trailer tongue weight had the rear bumper 12"s off the ground,besides can't get my big ares in one of these toy trucks,both dodge and ford have spacious rear seating last time I looked at full size crew cabs.
The 2020 HD Crew cab has mega room in the back seat.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Two summers ago one of my friends whose son guides on the lake was up at the NW Angle and his client had a Toy truck.  They couldn't get the Ranger boat out of the water so my friend drove up with his Ram 2500 to get them back on dry land. The ramp was too steep for that Toyota.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I've seen that before,  pretty sad when your pulling something heavier than your pulling it with..

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Couldn't agree more General,ford claims they're dual turbo's run at an alarming 2400revs per minute,that's bookoo wear n tear in my view.

I miss the old days,small block v-8,5spd manuel tranny,crank windows etc,this was before we had 8 track tapes.A/C was the windows rolled down at 50mph.

I’d be okay with that on a nice weekend.  Otherwise give me everything in today’s ram interior and ride, with a brand new 2006 Chevy 5.3, with fords aluminum body so it doesn’t rust out, and with Toyota reliability.  Who should I make the check out to?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe one of those shows on TV that do fun things with trucks.  Let me know when you figure it out General. 

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Two summers ago one of my friends whose son guides on the lake was up at the NW Angle and his client had a Toy truck.  They couldn't get the Ranger boat out of the water so my friend drove up with his Ram 2500 to get them back on dry land. The ramp was too steep for that Toyota.

Did they lose traction or just not know how to engage 4 low?  Can’t be as bad though as when we were out on Red lake that time and I had to have Boar hook up his chevy to help me get that hog of a fish house off the spot. 

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Maybe one of those shows on TV that do fun things with trucks.  Let me know when you figure it out General.
In your case I’d want the Chevy looks in aluminum, Allison tranny, Ram interior and creature comforts (if they are like the half ton) and a Cummins, with Toyota reliability.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered that too.  I guess all he did was spin his tires.