Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 twins  (Read 6806 times)

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
The Pohlads really aren't the issue. They are bankers / business people first. They are owners to make money. Remember back to when Calvin Griffith owned the team. Look around the Twins division. Kansas City.....doesn't spend as much as the Twins. Detroit spends more but wins less. Cleveland spends less. Chicago spends more and wins less. Or look at Milwaukee, they never win anything no matter what you spend.

The problem isn't what they spend, it's how they develop players. If you can't develop pitching, which they can't, then you have to buy pitching. Pitching is far to expensive to buy it year after year. If you have a line-up that can win you can buy a free agent that will get you over the top.

I see the development and evaluators as being the problem. They can't draft and sign the right guys or the right free agents. Then when they do get a talent (Sano) they can't get anything out of him. Say what you want about Terry Ryan he could identify talent. When he was teamed with Andy MacPhail as his GM they built a team to win. 87 & 91 and bought the additional guys they needed to win.

The Twins could spend more, in the $150 million range but if you can't identify the right guys it won't matter.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Their approach to re-hab the careers of one-good starting pitchers has not paid off for them.

They leave themselves such a thin margin for error that one or two injuries derails the whole season.
as long as the pohland family has there fingers in the team..........they will ALWAYS be derailed!!!!1 :pouty:

And they promised they would be able to compete if us taxpayers built them a new stadium. GUESS NOT   
  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Gophers, Timberwolves & Vikings all claimed they could compete with a new stadium. Not a one of them has won anything.

If you ever were there you would know the dome was a dump and needed to go.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I was there for the Twins and Vikings. My gripe is that they said a new taxpayer paid stadium would allow them to have a team that can win and not be a minor league team for the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, Atlanta, Angels etc.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Was at the Met for many a Vikes games in the cold weather.  Went to quite  few in the old Dome too.  They were both very affordable.  Never been to the new one.  Probably won't make it neither.  But ya never know. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I was at the old Met in the 50's with my dad. Saw the Red Sox play their old farm team the Millers. Saw Ted Williams play. Also there when the Cowboys robbed the Vikings when Pearson pushed off. Loved that old outdoor stadium.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Twins traded Garver to Texas for their SS yday.
The Ranger's SS, Donaldson, & the young catcher went to the NYY late yday for Urshela & Sanchez. Made a deal with the Red Sox for a starter & a 24 y/o Class A righthander over the weekend too. :scratch:
« Last Edit: March 03/14/22, 06:28:16 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
was at the Met once during a play off game.  damn cold and snow!!   but sure was fun!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
You're correct dutchboy, the dome was a dump. Watched one vikes game and nine or ten Twins games in it and it was bad. I was lucky enough to watch a dozen vikes games and a bunch of twins game at the Met and had a ball at everyone. I am looking forward to the Twins start for this year.  :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen some AL playoffs in the Dome twice, in '87 & in '02. Had to scream at my buddy sitting next to me so he could hear me in '87. :crazy:
« Last Edit: March 03/14/22, 07:41:53 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Twins are making a bunch of moves to disguise just how bad this team is. There has to be another trade or signing coming as they don't now have a shortstop.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Twins are making a bunch of moves to disguise just how bad this team is. There has to be another trade or signing coming as they don't now have a shortstop.
MLB trades: Twins acquire Isiah Kiner-Falefa from Rangers for Mitch Garver in three-player deal

Texas gets their catcher and the Twins get their shortstop  :confused:

Did you mean that they now need a catcher, or did they trade the Texas SS for someone else? 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Donaldson and the kid from Texas to the Yankees for Sanchez & Urshella.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Donaldson and the kid from Texas to the Yankees for Sanchez & Urshella.
Yankees trade Gary Sanchez to Twins for Josh Donaldson in blockbuster move

Something tells me the Yanks fleeced the Twinks, but they get to save $50 Million on Donaldson's contract.  ;)

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Sanchez can DH (he can't catch worth a lick) and Urshella can play 3rd. Leaves them back at square 1 with no shortstop unless they have something else cooking. Even with adding Gray to the pitching staff this staff couldn't regularly beat the AAA staff in St. Paul.

Gonna be a longggg ugly season.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
So if I'm following along...

The Twins trade a good catcher, and a good short stop, and a fiery competitive stud third baseman...

For a catcher who can't catch, a good third baseman, and a minor league pitcher.
 :crazy:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Yes but the important part is they unloaded Donaldson's contract.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Polanco, Arraez, & Urshela have all played SS. They still have Jeffers & he caught most of the games last season, but I agree with dutchy moving Donaldson was the biggest thing. He's due $21 mil this year & next as well as having a $16 mil option for '24 with a $6 mil buyout.
« Last Edit: March 03/14/22, 01:21:39 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i just read where the Twinkies opened up there checkbook and signed this SS from Houston ........Correa!!!!! shocking!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: March 03/19/22, 08:13:05 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Let's hope they find some pitching, so his talent won't go to waste.  Or, if they can't put a team around him, Correa can opt out in year two or three.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I see my link doesn't work, maybe it never did  :scratch:, so I found another..........https://www.mlb.com/news/carlos-correa-twins-deal & it says he can opt out the 1st 2 years of the deal. :confused: Sounds as if they expect him to test the market again next year though as he wants a long term, big $ deal.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I haven't seen all the details but it seems the player has all the control. If he gets hurt this summer or does squat he can stay and the Twins pay. If he plays well he can opt out and try for a bigger contract. At that point the Twins could (but won't) resign him to a monster contract.

I'm still scratching my head over this. Other than selling a few tickets I don't see the Twins angle on it. Without pitching, alot of pitching they aren't a play-off team. With or without Correa they are finishing behind Chicago unless they have a bunch of injuries. Houston or Seattle will win the West. The East will have Toronto, Tampa, Boston all duking it out with at least one of them the wild card. That leaves the third place team from the East, second place team from the West and the second place team from the Central battling for the last wild card. Without pitching I don't see the team as being one of them.

What I see is the Twins suck and unload Correa at the deadline to a contender for prospects. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Their top 2 guys in the minors both play SS & may not be ready. Lewis is coming off shoulder surgery & hasn't played since the Spring of 2020. The other guy is just starting AA ball after graduating college, is what I've read. Oakland has a couple FA starting pitchers that they're supposed to be interested in. :scratch: They still need some help in the bullpen as well IMO. Guess we'll see, as they only have ~ 2 weeks since Opening Day is now 4/7.
« Last Edit: March 03/20/22, 08:08:08 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Twins vs Braves started at noon.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Bench Byron Buxton for Remainder of Spring Training

But on Tuesday afternoon, in the first inning of a meaningless Spring Training contest between the Twins and Atlanta Braves, star centerfielder, Byron Buxton, put all of those good vibes in jeopardy with a beautiful, miraculous, VIOLENT, homerun-saving catch that plastered him face-first into the outfield wall, ball in glove.

Please, Byron, Stop.

The greatness of this catch can only be rivaled by that of its own stupidity. I would like Byron Buxton to stop violently running into walls during ALL games. Saving that one out, no matter how many runs might score, is not worth the collateral damage of the Minnesota Twins losing Byron from their lineup.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Baseball players will do what they were trained to do. Buxton got paid $100 million to be a center fielder, not a tennis player. Defense is what got him paid. While it might not be the smartest move (Buxton doesn't impress me as the smartest guy) it is in keeping with who he is.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I'm certain he has had conversations with the people signing his check about this, probably more than once. :bonk: He can make an extra $2.5 mil if he makes 625 plate appearances with his new deal so if that doesn't get him to think twice about it...................what will?  :rolleyes: Actually the incentives start at $500,000/502 & go up another 500K for about every 30 at bats.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I'm not sure the contract will work out in the long run for the Twins but I do like that they based some of it on availability.