Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mossberg C-lect choke.  (Read 2578 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      I have an old Mossberg 185 K-B with the adjustable C-lect choke. It's missing the magazine and the bolt. This is a project for another day but, I started thinking (I know, better late than never) about adjustable chokes.
      I wonder why this type of choke was never very popular. Or, was it on certain models for other manufacturers? It looks like there were only 3 choke settings but it seems like you could really tweak your pattern.
      Any ideas?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
TT  in today's shotgun world aftermarket chokes is  a science that specializes in quality shotgun patters for better reliabilty in our shotgun pattern whether at the target range or in the field,it's all about putting pellets on the target.shotgun manufactuter's have enough on they're plate w/o worrying what happens down range when the trigger is pulled.

However factory chokes have come a long way in the past 20 years IMPO,iffin the indian pulling the trigger does his/her job and so has our shotgun factory ammo but that's another thread.

I remember those multi mossberg barrel chokes from the old days as a youngster I always wanted that shotgun because it looked cool,times have changed with age and now it's all about performance.

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      Snow1, that makes sense. Chokes and all the components that make up a shot shell have come a long way since this gun was produced in the early 1960's. I believe this was produced between 1955 and 1963.
      Thanks.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
TT
What gauge is it? It took me forever to find one for the 410
 Finally did but it wasn't cheap
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This is a 20 gauge.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
TT just remember if you intend to hunt with this shotgun using steel shot,donot choke up beyond modified,guessing the three choke notches are skeet or I/C modified and full being a field grade shotgun.

How is the condition? bluing,wood? would be a fun project to refurb it.

take a before and after picture if you decide to tackle this project.

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      Good advice. Thanks. I would have someone smarter than me go over it before I shot it.
      It does have some rust on metal parts, stock has some dings.
      I think the last time my dad shot this gun was in about 1964 or 65. He died in 1967. I never knew him to hunt with it.
      You are correct, choke is marked I CYL, MOD, FULL.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I have one at the cabin, 12ga tho. Pretty sure the c choke is rusted so I can't turn it. No butt pad so it kicks pretty hard, bout the only time it sees daylight is when a red squirrel goes by. Anyhow good luck on your quest.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought they were pretty cool looking back in the day.  New cool thing.  I think they were also called Poly Chokes and I think they were more of a Mossberg thing but could get them installed on any shotgun.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
      Snow1, that makes sense. Chokes and all the components that make up a shot shell have come a long way since this gun was produced in the early 1960's. I believe this was produced between 1955 and 1963.
      Thanks.

TT,just a thought iffin you want the correct age,older shotgun guns usually have the date stamped below the rec'er infront of the magizine lever,or the serial # you can look up for the build date if ya really want to know.

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      Snow1, thanks for the help. I looked where you suggested and found no other numbers. There is some light rust on the metal but no other identification.
      Do you know if Mossberg used serial numbers in the late 1950's to early 1960's?

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry TT.plan B is a certified gunsmith,what city do you hang your hat?,older master class sporting clays shooter/and darn good smith has a shop in joes sporting goods,Bob everson semi retired works on monday after noon in st paul or another great shop is alman's located in morristown in southern minn.,is there any barrel etching near the rec'ver?,barrel length,chamber size etc?old field grade shotguns offer little specs,most often things like bluing get wore off.
« Last Edit: March 03/28/22, 10:48:19 AM by snow1 »

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      Nearest "big" town is Mankato. I thought about taking it to Ahlmans in Morristown (I think) to have them give it a good inspection when I get closer to tackling this project. Strange things happen when I go there. Guns talk to me and want to be my friend. Stephen King would like my story.
      I have been pondering either a new Henry in .357 or a Stevens 555 in 20 ga.
      Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Lol TT,I  concure walking in to gun shops,same here,agreed guyz at almens are very helpful,

goodluck with your project,I'm wondering if your mossberg was re-blued at one time? if so most often the smith doing the bluing wet sands the old bluing off taking most of the barrel marking's off as well,just a thought but another place to check for serial # and other need to no things,pull the forend off,my old browning's have serial # and gun specks tattooed inside the forend,maybe moss berg does as well.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
There probably isn't a serial number on the gun if is was made before 1968.

Mossberg Collectors FAQ

There may not be any. For a period of years between 1930 and 1968, Mossberg did not put serial numbers on their long guns, preferring to pass along that cost savings to the consumer. Early Model K, L, M and S rifles did have a serial number, as did the .22 training rifles made for the military (44US) and British Lend-Lease guns (42MB). The Gun Control Act of 1968 made it no longer optional for a manufacturer to put serial numbers on their long guns, and all Mossberg firearms made after 1968 will bear a serial number on the left rear of the receiver.

Otherwise, I found this rather long-ish thread regarding Mossberg Serial Number research.  There are 38 pages in this thread.  Maybe you can find some information on this website with ideas on how to date Mossberg shotguns without serial numbers.

Mossberg Serial Number Data Base

And finally I saw this post on a third site that warns of never using steel shot.

Question about the Mossberg 500 C-Lect choke system

...Also, remember that the "C-Lect-Choke" is not suitable for steel shot at any setting. Even full open is likely to fracture one of the fingers.
« Last Edit: March 03/29/22, 08:15:39 AM by Steve-o »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Good show steve-o,you always come through...thanx.